P1000 Fox shocks and camber

H

hadleycat

Oct 15, 2020
Metamora MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed the fox shocks on my 1000-5 deluxe. I assumed the preload was set from the factory but I have a 1/4” negative camber in the rear. Is this how the machine is supposed to ride. I know the factory deluxe shocks with load leveling were also 1/4” negative camber at rest. I have also confirmed that I have the 1000-5 shocks and not the 1000-3. Thanks

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need to measure your ground clearance and set your preload for your P1k5. Depending on your accessories and riding gear it could change the required preload. I know I lost 1.5in of ground clearance due to accessories and gear. That is the nice thing about adjustable preload. I ordered my Fox shocks back in Nov and still waiting for the fronts. I got the back installed and put new springs on and got my ground clearance back.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 1/4” negative camber in the rear
Cuz u need new control arms to fix it. Your stock arms are not adjustable. If you put preload on those shocks that's going to change a lot of stuff including camber. That's why you need the adjustable arms if you want your camper to be a certain way either that or you just deal with it. That's actually not a great option though. And no the fox shocks generally do not come preset they're just at a general starting point for preload from the factory

H

hadleycat

Oct 15, 2020
Metamora MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys, I am pretty happy with it as is for now but once I get my spare tire carrier on the back I am going to add a bit of preload. I came up with an idea that might make this a simple job. I am going to add a bunch of zip ties to the coil springs with the machine at rest. Then jack the machine up just enough to take the tension off the shock adjusting rings. Spin the rings by hand to add the preload then remove jack. Cut the zip ties with the tension removed from them. Not sure if this will work or not but am going to try it.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If those zip ties don’t hold any body parts in the vicinity will suddenly be not yours anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
H

hadleycat

Oct 15, 2020
Metamora MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
deluxe shocks with load leveling were also 1/4” negative camber at rest. I have also confirmed that I have the 1000-5 shocks and not the 1000-3. Thanks
Finally got around to adjusting the preload on the springs. Put 5 turns on the front shocks and 8 turns on the rear. This got me to 0 camber. The zip tie trick worked like a charm. Not dangerous at all. Took me 1 hour to set the preload on all 4 corners. Lifted the machine 1 1/4” by setting the preload properly. I used 12 zip ties on the front and 16 on the rears

BAD0A1A4 DBE1 4A49 9896 22A7DE044AA5

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Finally got around to adjusting the preload on the springs. Put 5 turns on the front shocks and 8 turns on the rear. This got me to 0 camber. The zip tie trick worked like a charm. Not dangerous at all. Took me 1 hour to set the preload on all 4 corners. Lifted the machine 1 1/4” by setting the preload properly. I used 12 zip ties on the front and 16 on the rears

View attachment 331010
I give you 10 min on trail and those are gone! 🤣
27B44B39 DEE9 45F0 9D39 A57335A2C1AF

H

hadleycat

Oct 15, 2020
Metamora MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 331027
I installed the fox shocks on my 1000-5 deluxe. I assumed the preload was set from the factory but I have a 1/4” negative camber in the rear. Is this how the machine is supposed to ride. I know the factory deluxe shocks with load leveling were also 1/4” negative camber at rest. I have also confirmed that I have the 1000-5 shocks and not the 1000-3. Thanks
View attachment 331027
Hey Rem did you ever figure it out that you have your rear shocks mounted on the wrong sides. Reservoir goes towards the front of the vehicle
What is the point exactly with the zip ties? It was just to help with preload right, he's not leaving them oN

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey Rem did you ever figure it out that you have your rear shocks mounted on the wrong sides. Reservoir goes towards the front of the vehicle
Yep. The pic you seen was white a few years ago And they were installed that day and flipped back the right way that day. Alcohol was involved lol

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What is the point exactly with the zip ties? It was just to help with preload right, he's not leaving them on?
Right. And no he’s not leaving them in. I was also just making a comment about those stickers that he put on the inside wheel wall where the mud and water is going to rip right into them and they’re going to rip right off lol. I’ve always used ratchet straps but actually had the shocks off the vehicle and on the bench. Makes it a lot easier. That’s a lot of large zip ties that are about three dollars apiece

Last edited:
Reactions: toddvdh and trigger
H

hadleycat

Oct 15, 2020
Metamora MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not following why you added the zipties. Just take weight off the tires and turn the preload down
Is that how you have adjusted yours?

H

hadleycat

Oct 15, 2020
Metamora MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right. And no he’s not living them in. I was also just making a comment about those stickers that he put on the inside wheel wall where the mud and water is going to rip right into them and they’re going to rip right off lol. I’ve always used ratchet straps but actually had the shocks off the vehicle and on the bench. Makes it a lot easier. That’s a lot of large zip ties that are about three dollars

Reactions: Smitty335
H

hadleycat

Oct 15, 2020
Metamora MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right. And no he’s not living them in. I was also just making a comment about those stickers that he put on the inside wheel wall where the mud and water is going to rip right into them and they’re going to rip right off lol. I’ve always used ratchet straps but actually had the shocks off the vehicle and on the bench. Makes it a lot easier. That’s a lot of large zip ties that are about three dollars apiece
Im more of a rock crawler guy. Not a big fan of mud puddles

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm not following why you added the zipties. Just take weight off the tires and turn the preload down
When I got my shocks I set spring sag with pre load the adjusted camber on my SATV A-arms?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!