P1000 Frame Crack

DmaxHunter

DmaxHunter

Oct 7, 2016
Northern AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check this out guys.

So I was out riding a couple weeks ago and towards the end of my ride I kept sporadically hearing my front right tire rub on my inner fender well just slightly. I stopped several times to investigate but could not see anything that would be causing this. After getting back home I looked over the front end even more. I could tell something was wrong because the gap between the rear of the tire and the fender well was significantly smaller than it was on the driver side.

After looking at every part I still couldn't find anything until I stuck my head in a little deeper and finally saw it, a HUGE crack in the frame. It's right at the forward upper control arm mount. It looks like it cracked at and around the weld. I think it cracked a while ago and just over time and more miles the split pieces just continued to separate which is why it slowly and randomly started to rub.

I dropped it off at the dealer and they originally didn't want to submit a claim but I finally convinced them to. So now they are supposedly waiting on American Honda to make a determination on it.

I'm convinced it's a bad weld. The vertical weld looks like it broke at the edge of the weld, perhaps a little too much undercut at the toe, which weakened that part of the base metal causing it to break? The top however, looks like the crack goes right through the middle of the weld. (I know the pics aren't the greatest).

I bought the extended warranty so now I'm just hoping Honda actually takes care of me for it. Guess we'll see. I've seen a few other posts on the forum about some cracks at control arms, which sounds like Honda took care of so hopefully that's the case here too.

Anyways, what are your guys thoughts on this??

IMG 4562

IMG 4564

IMG 4566

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check this out guys.

So I was out riding a couple weeks ago and towards the end of my ride I kept sporadically hearing my front right tire rub on my inner fender well just slightly. I stopped several times to investigate but could not see anything that would be causing this. After getting back home I looked over the front end even more. I could tell something was wrong because the gap between the rear of the tire and the fender well was significantly smaller than it was on the driver side.

After looking at every part I still couldn't find anything until I stuck my head in a little deeper and finally saw it, a HUGE crack in the frame. It's right at the forward upper control arm mount. It looks like it cracked at and around the weld. I think it cracked a while ago and just over time and more miles the split pieces just continued to separate which is why it slowly and randomly started to rub.

I dropped it off at the dealer and they originally didn't want to submit a claim but I finally convinced them to. So now they are supposedly waiting on American Honda to make a determination on it.

I'm convinced it's a bad weld. The vertical weld looks like it broke at the edge of the weld, perhaps a little too much undercut at the toe, which weakened that part of the base metal causing it to break? The top however, looks like the crack goes right through the middle of the weld. (I know the pics aren't the greatest).

I bought the extended warranty so now I'm just hoping Honda actually takes care of me for it. Guess we'll see. I've seen a few other posts on the forum about some cracks at control arms, which sounds like Honda took care of so hopefully that's the case here too.

View attachment 71950

View attachment 71951

View attachment 71952
Looks familiar @Delton don't it

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check this out guys.

View attachment 71950

View attachment 71951

View attachment 71952
Ouch! That looks like an expensive repair if done correctly. Tons of disassembly involved and then to get all that pulled back into the exact correct spot will take some skill and time. Or just find a tree and a come-along and have a buddy weld a big ole' bubble gum on it. Good luck and keep us posted.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Can’t see Honda warrantying that. Like mentioned above @Delton had a similar deal from pushing through a corner and he got it fixed up nice. That can be welded but it’s high strength steel so a simple weld will prove to fail much sooner. The correct way is to replace the frame but that is a pita and expensive. Probably need to have an additional piece welded in to strengthen that area. If you have insurance you can claim that and have it fixed correctly.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check this out guys.

View attachment 71950

View attachment 71951

View attachment 71952
Can be fixed and isn't hard either. Hardest part for me was keeping long bolt in correct position before welding. I ended up making a jig that did work for me lol. Key here is gusseting. And lots of it. I've beat on mine pretty good with zero problems since fixing. Soon as I get chance I'm gonna reinforce other side.

DmaxHunter

DmaxHunter

Oct 7, 2016
Northern AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can’t see Honda warrantying that. Like mentioned above @Delton had a similar deal from pushing through a corner and he got it fixed up nice. That can be welded but it’s high strength steel so a simple weld will prove to fail much sooner. The correct way is to replace the frame but that is a pita and expensive. Probably need to have an additional piece welded in to strengthen that area. If you have insurance you can claim that and have it fixed correctly.

My fingers are crossed that they will warranty it. For a crack at and across a weld like that seems like a manufacturers defect to me. A proper weld is supposed to be equally as strong or stronger than it's base metal. But I guess I'll see what they say. If they deny it, then I'd be very interested in what would be considered a manufacturers defect that would be warrantable.

I do have insurance on it. Are you suggesting have insurance pay for the long/expensive frame replacement if it is warrantied? Guess that's one option. A frame replacement sounds horrible, especially with all the extra wiring I've done which will definitely make it a huge PITA.

You mention high strength steel....As much as I love this machine and think Honda did a great job on it, I'm finding myself least impressed with the frame thus far. My bro-in-law has mentioned the same thing. He helped me install my skids and he said it felt like the self tappers were gonna strip right out like the frame was as thin as a soda can. Those bottom rails and the a-arms and everything dent extremely easy! So far to me the frame just seems a little weak for a heavy duty machine like this.

Last edited:
DmaxHunter

DmaxHunter

Oct 7, 2016
Northern AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can be fixed and isn't hard either. Hardest part for me was keeping long bolt in correct position before welding. I ended up making a jig that did work for me lol. Key here is gusseting. And lots of it. I've beat on mine pretty good with zero problems since fixing. Soon as I get chance I'm gonna reinforce other side.

Well that's good to know for a DIY option if Honda won't cover it. I might reach out to you on some more specifics if it comes down to this.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If it is a failure of the weld I can see where you’d want that warranted and I agree with you but I’m just saying that can be hard to get through. Worth a shot though.
Why I suggested insurance is because it’s supposed to be there to protect the equity of the consumer or title holder. That is what its designed to do. Now I obviously wasn’t there but most of the time when there is a crack in the frame someone either overdrove the vehicles capabilities for too long or simply lost control at some point, both of which should be covered.
Either way it could possibly be covered the frame would be replaced. This is the “correct” path. Utv is not like a car where there is a possibility of having something straightened, it gets replaced.
Just my two cents, but I wish the best of luck to you and please keep us informed if you would, I’d like to see this resolved so you can get back to enjoying the machine

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
My fingers are crossed that they will warranty it. For a crack at and across a weld like that seems like a manufacturers defect to me. A proper weld is supposed to be equally as strong or stronger than it's base metal. But I guess I'll see what they say. If they deny it, then I'd be very interested in what would be considered a manufacturers defect that would be warrantable.

I do have insurance on it. Are you suggesting have insurance pay for the long/expensive frame replacement if it is warrantied? Guess that's one option. A frame replacement sounds horrible, especially with all the extra wiring I've done which will definitely make it a huge PITA.

You mention high strength steel....As much as I love this machine and think Honda did a great job on it, I'm finding myself least impressed with the frame thus far. My bro-in-law has mentioned the same thing. He helped me install my skids and he said it felt like the self tappers were gonna strip right out like the frame was as thin as a soda can. Those bottom rails and the a-arms and everything dent extremely easy! So far to me the frame just seems a little weak for a heavy duty machine like this.

Frame thickness is like this across the board in the SxS world. they are about the same as the factory roll cage. i couldnt get my self tappers to stay in on my skid plate for nothing.

there is a guy out here in TN that repairs SXS frames basically cutting the bent or damaged pieces out and sleaving them. He is making a killing because rzr frames are exposed behind the front tires and insurance will total them out for a bent frame. if you dont get covered under warranty it maybe worth trying to find a guy or shop out there that does something similar.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That upper front arm mount is the only one not reinforced. Other 3 on each side is gusseted. If you end up having to repair it yourself, holler if you want some help. As long as you keep that long bolt parallel to the frame you're golden. Get it off a hair and kiss a good alignment goodbye.

H

HondaTech

The weld appears to have pulled clean away from the main frame. Honda should have no problem fixing that. You won't get them to replace the frame unfortunately, because of the fact they dont sell the front half of the frame alone.

N

Nick2018_1000-5

Oct 30, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same issue going on with mine. What was the outcome? Did Honda cover it? They denied my claim as of now and called it impact damage. It has a little over 400 miles and it's less then a year old. I bought the extended warranty also. Mine has full coverage insurance as well but I didn't do anything abnormal to cause so I don't wan to go that route.

16SyozIFQ56N0RcZ7jxg HQRd3HELTBe3CpTHWUzp2A U8ZFTT2vRCaMvk4PtBAArg LFrviMAMQjSjL2dvpXmng CRxZ617Thm7u7mIykljg BesHwAjASRC6NoaZJLRHw LPP0X9ezRqnoL46eocMww AjRpe404Tgqvhx1vCboMvA D55XYWHeSaKJEG7PS87tqA 2fdkGkDrSNmkeYiCVSDYvw IVMpKdGSfmajvLFMprvwg GmefDGLLRtyprBf8fDVKg FWrFAsG5SyGzeSwsvUrSw BJUi5sFnT0iUOOjoGSEew

• Wow
Reactions: Lady01 and Biteme

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!