Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Same issue going on with mine. What was the outcome? Did Honda cover it? They denied my claim as of now and called it impact damage. It has a little over 400 miles and it's less then a year old. I bought the extended warranty also. Mine has full coverage insurance as well but I didn't do anything abnormal to cause so I don't wan to go that route.

View attachment 163851 View attachment 163852 View attachment 163853 View attachment 163854 View attachment 163855 View attachment 163856 View attachment 163857 View attachment 163858 View attachment 163859 View attachment 163860 View attachment 163861 View attachment 163862 View attachment 163863 View attachment 163864
You can't hit that hard without busting stock front tires, been there done that and never had frame damage?

B

Big-C

Dec 29, 2020
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check this out guys.

So I was out riding a couple weeks ago and towards the end of my ride I kept sporadically hearing my front right tire rub on my inner fender well just slightly. I stopped several times to investigate but could not see anything that would be causing this. After getting back home I looked over the front end even more. I could tell something was wrong because the gap between the rear of the tire and the fender well was significantly smaller than it was on the driver side.

After looking at every part I still couldn't find anything until I stuck my head in a little deeper and finally saw it, a HUGE crack in the frame. It's right at the forward upper control arm mount. It looks like it cracked at and around the weld. I think it cracked a while ago and just over time and more miles the split pieces just continued to separate which is why it slowly and randomly started to rub.

I dropped it off at the dealer and they originally didn't want to submit a claim but I finally convinced them to. So now they are supposedly waiting on American Honda to make a determination on it.

I'm convinced it's a bad weld. The vertical weld looks like it broke at the edge of the weld, perhaps a little too much undercut at the toe, which weakened that part of the base metal causing it to break? The top however, looks like the crack goes right through the middle of the weld. (I know the pics aren't the greatest).

I bought the extended warranty so now I'm just hoping Honda actually takes care of me for it. Guess we'll see. I've seen a few other posts on the forum about some cracks at control arms, which sounds like Honda took care of so hopefully that's the case here too.

Anyways, what are your guys thoughts on this??

View attachment 71950

View attachment 71951

View attachment 71952
Did Honda ever Fix it?

DmaxHunter

DmaxHunter

Oct 7, 2016
Northern AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry I never followed up everyone. No Honda did not warranty this for me. They denied it saying that it was me running into a large rock or something which was an extreme force that caused it to peel back the way it did. I disagree and know that it just slowly peeled back over time once it was cracked. But I didn't feel like fighting them because that dealer and service manager were just worthless. And I didn't want them to keep my machine for half a year trying to fix it.

So I took it home, jacked it up a bit, hooked a chain to the control arm and yanked on it with a truck. And somehow that put it right back into proper position. We welded it up and gusseted it in a few places. No problems since. But while we were welding it we checked the other side and it had hairline cracks in the exact same places and same welds. So I know these are defective factory welds. I wish I would have seen the other side cracked while talking with the dealer because I think it would have been enough ammo to get them to fix it. But oh well it's done now and no problems since fixing both sides on our own.

B

Big-C

Dec 29, 2020
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my weld broke in the same place. Didn't peel the tube just separated. Dealer has had it since Feb and it sounds like Honda is gonna get me a new frame. Not super excited about having my Honda striped bare and put back together by the dealer. But here we go. Kudos to Honda for taking care of it. I was 2 weeks out of factory warranty.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So my weld broke in the same place. Didn't peel the tube just separated. Dealer has had it since Feb and it sounds like Honda is gonna get me a new frame. Not super excited about having my Honda striped bare and put back together by the dealer. But here we go. Kudos to Honda for taking care of it. I was 2 weeks out of factory warranty.
Talk to your dealer. Ask them to only replace the front of it.
Will save them lots of time and only need to take the front apart.

B

Big-C

Dec 29, 2020
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is only sold as one piece. Your words. And NO! Most Dealers will not do frame work on your equipment. First weld break they would be sued. Dealers replace they don't fix. Think we can both agree on that. I can totally appreciate the help so please i'm not trying to prove anyone wrong on here. Just sharing my story. And agreeing with most of what you shared. Maybe dealer were you are from are willing to chop a frame. Ours here are not. If it helps I'll keep posting updates on my particular situation.

• Haha
Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
H

HondaTech

It is only sold as one piece. Your words. And NO! Most Dealers will not do frame work on your equipment. First weld break they would be sued. Dealers replace they don't fix. Think we can both agree on that. I can totally appreciate the help so please i'm not trying to prove anyone wrong on here. Just sharing my story. And agreeing with most of what you shared. Maybe dealer were you are from are willing to chop a frame. Ours here are not. If it helps I'll keep posting updates on my particular situation.

The frame comes apart into 3 pieces that are bolted together. You can separate the frame. We've replaced several front sections.

B

Big-C

Dec 29, 2020
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The frame comes apart into 3 pieces that are bolted together. You can separate the frame. We've replaced several front sections.
Can you please post the part# or pic of the the front section where the upper arms bracket are welded. It’s a 2019 1000-5. Would love to tell Honda and my dealer this. There both telling me they don’t.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can you please post the part# or pic of the the front section where the upper arms bracket are welded. It’s a 2019 1000-5. Would love to tell Honda and my dealer this. There both telling me they don’t.
He is saying u have to order the whole frame but have your dealer to unbolt the front section. Only install front section so they don't have to take your whole machine apart. If you replace the whole frame, it's just makes the odds go up that the mechanic will screw something up. And will take them longer also.

B

Big-C

Dec 29, 2020
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trust me I don’t want my Honda taken down to frame. But this issue has escalated to Honda Managment and the engineering department. And they are tell my dealer there gonna cover the cost of all of this. If I can get them to just do a front clip I totally will. Thx for all this help folks!

B

Big-C

Dec 29, 2020
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trust me I don’t want my Honda taken down to frame. But this issue has escalated to Honda Managment and the engineering department. And they are tell my dealer there gonna cover the cost of all of this. If I can get them to just do a front clip I totally will. Thx for all this help folks!
He is saying u have to order the whole frame but have your dealer to unbolt the front section. Only install front section so they don't have to take your whole machine apart. If you replace the whole frame, it's just makes the odds go up that the mechanic will screw something up. And will take them longer also.
It unbolts under the front floorboard. That section foward is one whole piece.
I’ll just have to wait till Honda sends the new frame. I’ll post updates.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!