Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is anyone having front brake issues? I have 295 miles on mine and the driver side is completely gone and they are factory back ordered. The passenger side isn't far behind.

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
I just pulled a wheel off and looked at mine and they don't look wore at all. I have 700 miles on mine.

Maybe you have a problem.

JoKer150

JoKer150

Feb 19, 2014
Louisiana
Westtnpioneer said:
Is anyone having front brake issues? I have 295 miles on mine and the driver side is completely gone and they are factory back ordered. The passenger side isn't far behind.

I'll bet your calipers aren't fully releasing. I have 259mi and my front brakes are squealing. Pads are totally gone on passenger front side. Haven't checked driver.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is not good news. My parts dealer says the pads are on back order. Also they are EXPENSIVE. MSRP $78.87 a side. OMG.
I looked for a cross on Japanese motorcycle pads but had no luck.

I can get a full set (all 6 pads) of Japanese pads for my Rincon for $40.

Luckily the rear is the same as the Rincon and the 420FA's so. thats a plus.

JoKer150

JoKer150

Feb 19, 2014
Louisiana
Hondasxs said:
This is not good news. My parts dealer says the pads are on back order. Also they are EXPENSIVE. MSRP $78.87 a side. OMG.
I looked for a cross on Japanese motorcycle pads but had no luck.

I can get a full set (all 6 pads) of Japanese pads for my Rincon for $40.

Luckily the rear is the same as the Rincon and the 420FA's so. thats a plus.

Is there a way to "back off" the calipers? Something has to be wrong for my pads to start squealing at 250 miles. If I had been towing or hauling loads, I would expect premature wear, but something HAS to be wrong.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
This for sure is not a good thing. Calipers have to be sticking. But also makes me think that if calipers were sticking to the point of wearing the pads down that the smell of hot brakes would be there at some point. I have almost 300 miles on my pioneer. I will have to give mine a quick check tonight. I went on about a 40 miles ride yesterday and never did notice squeaking or bad breaks. I will also pull out my spark arrester again to check it. Although I did not have any power loss or stalling issues yesterday.

JoKer150

JoKer150

Feb 19, 2014
Louisiana
wyo700 said:
This for sure is not a good thing. Calipers have to be sticking. But also makes me think that if calipers were sticking to the point of wearing the pads down that the smell of hot brakes would be there at some point. I have almost 300 miles on my pioneer. I will have to give mine a quick check tonight. I went on about a 40 miles ride yesterday and never did notice squeaking or bad breaks. I will also pull out my spark arrester again to check it. Although I did not have any power loss or stalling issues yesterday.

good point about the smell. No locked-brake smell, but the pads may not be big enough to produce a recognizable smell. The tires are not unusually hard to turn by hand when jacked up. Usually only one caliper at a time goes out anyway.

J

JoeyG

Sep 23, 2013
I just changed mine at 800 miles. I ordered the pads for the big red b/c they were half the cost of the Pioneer. They are installed and work fine. Two differences though. 1. The "squeeler" is on the top of the new pads versys the bottom of the old pads, but there were no clearance issues. 2. The material the new pad is made of looks a little different from the stock ones. There may be a difference in the specs (heat/friction rating) but the machine stops just like it did with the stock ones. Put about 50 miles on the new ones this weekend and no problems.

advertisement
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I just went checked my front pads. With 300 miles my pads still look brand new. As do my rear pads. Something is wrong if pads are wearing down even at 800 miles. I know that a atv is lighter but with 4000 miles on my old grizzly I never had to change pads ever. But it's nice to know the big red pads are the same.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
JoeyG said:
I just changed mine at 800 miles. I ordered the pads for the big red b/c they were half the cost of the Pioneer. They are installed and work fine. Two differences though. 1. The "squeeler" is on the top of the new pads versys the bottom of the old pads, but there were no clearance issues. 2. The material the new pad is made of looks a little different from the stock ones. There may be a difference in the specs (heat/friction rating) but the machine stops just like it did with the stock ones. Put about 50 miles on the new ones this weekend and no problems.
Your right. Why did I not check into that.
Why such a price difference.
Just ordered 2 sets of the fronts for WindRock and backup.

JoKer150

JoKer150

Feb 19, 2014
Louisiana
JoeyG said:

Thanks JoeyG. I ordered 2 sets of kevlar pads off Amazon for $39 that fit the Big Red. I've never changed disk brakes before; my other hondas had drums or never wore out. So, if anybody has some tips on changing the pads please let me know. Thanks guys.

Still makes me sick my brakes only lasted 30 days...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had mine since September about 400 miles.(mostly working around our land not a lot of hard stopping, a few hills though so with a load in the bed the brakes are getting used.)

Its sitting at dealer right now asked them to look at brakes and exhaust while they had it. Told me pads look new and the exhaust looks fine nothing is coming apart on the inside.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
To everyone that has changed there pads. When out riding stop every once in a while and feel the wheels to see if they are hot. Especially when driving on flat ground for a long period of time to see if there is a caliper sticking. If there is the caliper will need to be changed.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I do have the a arm guards but they are not affecting my brakes like the others on the other forum have stated. My dealer has said it could be all the hills and sand I ride in. We are going to change the pads and I am going to trouble shoot further. Nice to know about the big red pads

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just out of curiosity my vin is 145. Those that are having problems are you close to my vin?

JoKer150

JoKer150

Feb 19, 2014
Louisiana
Westtnpioneer said:
Just out of curiosity my vin is 145. Those that are having problems are you close to my vin?

my VIN ends with 037. I pulled all my front pads off last night to compare them. All wear is even, so i don't think it's a caliper. I did notice the inside pads on both right and left sides were worn more. The pads on the outside look to be in great shape.