Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
i noticed I have an excessive amount of Toe-out. The fix looks simple pull the steering linkage and adjust it. The problem is... I can't get the steering arm off. I removed the bolt and I've tried beating it out.

Any more hammering will distroy the threaded end of the ball joint.

What am I missing? How do you get the steering free?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
why not just break the nut loose that is on the tie rod and adjust it with out taking the rod end out of the knuckle?

Reactions: Deluxe700
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
@Gator @allgm1 is correct. The inner tie rod end is made where it has a ball and socket (highlighted orange) on the inner portion so the toe can be adjusted without removing the outter tie rod end from the spindle. You need to loosen the jamb nut up that is against the outter tie rod end it will be where the green highlight is. Once the jamb nut is loose you can use a wrench on the inner tie rod end( highlighted red)to turn it to adjust the toe.
20170820 183209

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Excellent!

Thanks guys. I assumed the rod wouldn't turn.
I won't be home for another 4 days but as soon as I get back I'll get this done.

Thanks again

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I measured the distance between the rims at the back of the rim and again at the front.
1.75" difference. Can you say WOW?
When I tried to break the jam nuts loose, I found them both to be loose already.
I have no doubt that's why the wheels were toed out. I adjusted them back to within a 1/16th.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
If they are loose they will walk out

Reactions: Deluxe700
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's what you call a Smoking Gun!

Reactions: Gator and swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's funny,after I posted last time I had a moment to spare and went out and checked mine and one was loose....This many years and this forum is still saving me grief. Thanks Gator

R

Rexter

Jul 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
i noticed I have an excessive amount of Toe-out. The fix looks simple pull the steering linkage and adjust it. The problem is... I can't get the steering arm off. I removed the bolt and I've tried beating it out.

Any more hammering will distroy the threaded end of the ball joint.

What am I missing? How do you get the steering free?
Thanks to this post for reminding me to adjust my alignment. It was screwed up from the factory. How that happens? Had too much toe out on drivers side. Fixed.

advertisement
Iceguy31

Iceguy31

Sep 12, 2018
Huntsville, Al
Ownership

1. 700-2
I noticed mine has some toe out on the driver side from the factory as well. Any specs on what it should be for each side and total toe?

• Haha
Reactions: RingMaster
R

Rexter

Jul 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
I noticed mine has some toe out on the driver side from the factory as well. Any specs on what it should be for each side and total toe?
I can’t think of any reason why there should be toe out except maybe to compensate for weight but I had my buddy get in and there was no change. You don’t need to take anything apart like some in this thread suggest. It’s just like a car. Two 3/4” wrenches to loosen the lock-nut on the tie-rod, then rotate the rod with like a 14mm (can’t remember exact wrench size). Get it close and lock the lock-nut down. Took mine about two half-turns counter-clockwise. Doesn’t have to be perfect. The tires aren’t balanced and you’re only going 45mph top speed. If anyone knows something I don’t...let me know.

Reactions: Mudwing
Iceguy31

Iceguy31

Sep 12, 2018
Huntsville, Al
Ownership

1. 700-2
I measured and adjusted mine last night. brought the drive side in 1/4" measured off the front inside flat of the rim. that now has both sides a bit toed in with the steering wheel centered. we'll see what it does this weekend.

Reactions: Gator and Rexter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!