Front spring spacers

Y

Yooper

Sep 17, 2013
Double Wall Spacer? - Is there any reason not to cut a 3/4" spacer from a piece of pipe and a 3/4" piece of union then glue them together to make a double wall spacer?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yooper said:
Double Wall Spacer? - Is there any reason not to cut a 3/4" spacer from a piece of pipe and a 3/4" piece of union then glue them together to make a double wall spacer?
Nope.
You could do that also.
But I would weld them together.

Y

Yooper

Sep 17, 2013
I was think PVC since I happen to have the needed material on hand.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yooper, not sure about that. But hey, all it would do is break and be back to factory.

If you could find another washer then it could would well.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yooper said:
I was think PVC since I happen to have the needed material on hand.

Don't think PVC will hold up, along with not being near as strong as a metal alloy, it has a tendency to get brittle.

Y

Yooper

Sep 17, 2013
I read somewhere that someone used PVC, I think I will take the suggestion of using metal pipe. I was a bit cynical of using plastic myself but wanted to see what others thought.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it wasn't a hollow circle I might say ok(some leveling kits for Chevy 4x4s are indeed plastic but a different kind and shape) but it's thin wall and metal pipe honestly ain't that much. Rather not do something twice if I don't have to.

Y

Yooper

Sep 17, 2013
I live 25 miles from the nearest town so using what I had on hand was tempting, I will pick up the pipe next trip to town.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
im using pvc in the rear. works fine. slow dry ride said he has been using it for ever.

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
1.5" sch 40 pipe nipple appears to be the correct size. I did a quick measure of my shocks and a pipe nipple I had laying around from another project and it appears to be correct

. I built a spring compressor to install them now just need to cut the spacers and get them on.

spring spacer, I copied the concept from the old highlifter compresser not the pretiest but it does work. I tested it out on the Polaris shocks I had laying around.
Spr zps178bd796

advertisement
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Been using pvc with no ill effects. All your doing is compressing it,theres no twist or torque on it. Thats what I ended up doing was to glue extra around the outside of the pipe that I used to give it a wider /thicker dia. On the front however of the pioneer you should maybe have a washer to sit on the tabs of the shock so that the pvc pipe is sitting on a base rather then on the tabs. I did use galv pipe for my front spacers.

M

Mag

May 29, 2014
How does the top washer come off the shock once the spring is compressed?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Mag said:
How does the top washer come off the shock once the spring is compressed?
It comes off easy once its compressed enough. There is a cutout for the rod.
Here is a example.
Y4y8umep

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I finally got my spacers cut. I will be installing them this week using the ratchet strap method. Full details soon. Yzupe5y8

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did mine a week ago. Went with 3/4" and raised rear shocks to firmest setting. Machine sits pretty good just little level maybe just tad higher in rear. I drive one tire up on ramp so spring wouldn't have to be compressed so much with straps. Over all wasn't to bad. O and I tested it this weekend two adults each at 200 and 225 in front with catching a little air and no bottoming out.

240tt

Mar 11, 2014
explain how a person uses rachet straps to compress the spring? Picture or what type of strap?

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do a search on utube there's a video

K

kirkallen143

Dec 10, 2015
Did the spacers tonight, 1 hour tops, 3/4" long x 1 1/2" galv pipe, leveled the '14 pioneer perfect front to back (back shocks on minimum preload setting) ...rides so much better...looks good, too. Appreciate the R/R on this application. Have a good one.

Kirk

PS. compress shock by driving front tire on block of some sort, use three ratchet straps, I put the third one on when the shock was off, you need three...IT'S REALLY EASY!

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!