P500 Fuel pump died.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My in-tank fuel pump died Saturday.There were no warning signs such as a noisy motor,stalling,or hard starts.I was lucky to be in an easy to reach spot.I got in touch with a friend that knew the area to get a lift out.This will not happen again.I found this pump https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/fuel-pump/pfs-gasoline-fuel-pump-5211009/563485_478947_6210 that fits with little modification into the stock plastic pump module.I bought 2 for the price of one Honda P-5 pump.One is now in my onboard tool kit.A hammer,punch,and flat screw driver will get the pump out of the tank,so in 20 min. I can do a swap if need be.i also threw a relay in the bag ,too.Electric pumps are funny,some go forever,and some end their lives too soon.I'm covered now,though.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My in-tank fuel pump died Saturday.There were no warning signs such as a noisy motor,stalling,or hard starts.I was lucky to be in an easy to reach spot.I got in touch with a friend that knew the area to get a lift out.This will not happen again.I found this pump https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/fuel-pump/pfs-gasoline-fuel-pump-5211009/563485_478947_6210 that fits with little modification into the stock plastic pump module.I bought 2 for the price of one Honda P-5 pump.One is now in my onboard tool kit.A hammer,punch,and flat screw driver will get the pump out of the tank,so in 20 min. I can do a swap if need be.i also threw a relay in the bag ,too.Electric pumps are funny,some go forever,and some end their lives too soon.I'm covered now,though.
So you are now using that pump?

How about a write up?

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
So you are now using that pump?

How about a write up?
Yep,the wife and I did a 3hr. ride last night.The AutoZone pump is quieter than my stock pump ever was.It may be that with a little more research,the exact pump could be sourced,but I was in hurry to fix it,and this one was close enough.It is all correct except for being about 1/2 longer than the stock one,and the male power spades.Lots of these pumps come with female spades and a short set of wires to splice into your particular set-up anyway.The stock unit comes out of the module easily after popping the lock tabs open.The new ,longer pump will not let it snap back together,so I safety wired the halves back together.I should have taken pics,but at the time I was not thinking of you guys{LoL},,,,Just wanted to get rolling again for our planned ride.I was looking at a week to get a 135.00 Honda Pioneer unit,verses a trip to town for 2 of these at 58 bucks each,with a lifetime warranty.I feel very confident with the set-up.The in-tank module has the pressure regulator built into it,so pressure is still the same.I'll bet the correct length motor is out there.I tried crossing the numbers printed on the stock Denso motor but had no luck.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I know this is a Toyota,but really close to the P-5 set-up.Just imagine the motor being a little too long and the bottom piece not snapping on.,,,,,DIY Fuel Pump Replacement for Toyota Camry/Avalon/ES300/Corolla/Solara (With Video)
Thanks.
I've done plenty of pumps, and I was more interested in how you had to modify it but I get what you're saying.
Looks like all the pioneers take the same pump...
Quantum Intank EFI Fuel Pump Honda Pioneer 500 (SXS-500M 2A) 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019, Replaces Honda 16700-HL5-A01, 17574-HR3-A21

Reactions: nctrailboss

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!