Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Curious if anyone is running a Garmin Tread in their rig. If so, what's your thoughts?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have had the Overlander for many years and love it. Basically what the tread is based of. Very versatile. Its accually an android based tablet with Garmin in it. It turns your trail maps u have into Garmin and makes it easy to operate and to add way points Etc. I load all kinds of maps to it. VVMapping is my go to. Also helps when pulling my big TH for routs. Its program is geared for that and to keep u out of bad areas. The Ram mount it comes with is sweet. It has a magnet mounting attachment for charging. No matter the terrain it wont fall off. At least I cant get it to lol. It makes it nice if u need to remove it to walk around to show others the map in your group.
I recommend it. Just no experience with the new version tho. I would think its just as good if not better. Mine is 4yrs old, lifetime updates, been through hell imo and still going strong

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I pulled the trigger on 2 of them this afternoon. I watched numerous vids, most of which were Garmin fodder, the few I found from independent end users weren't exactly rosy, yet all seemed to have a positive conclusion. If I can get my son and myself familiar before TO, I'm thinking I've made a good investment. I'm looking forward to spending several days with him and looking forward to being more connected on multiple levels while riding in our own rigs

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would like to try one but I can't justify the coin just to try it.
Actually, I need a few for the group to get it to work to it's potential.

Yet.
I'd most likley go back to my tablet anyways.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Your right they are pricy. Mine wasnt for the walkie talkie thing, they didnt have it then. Was about $100 cheaper.

M

mmjsport

Apr 23, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ve had one for the last year or so with the walkie talkie built in. It’s the 8 inch power sports version for my talon. It’s awesome. I added a rear and front garmin BC50 camera on my talon so it works with those as well. I can’t count how many times the group leaders download a map for riding areas on tablets, we go out and ride much longer then we anticipated. Then they get lost since they can’t download more maps without signal. So my buddy or myself with our treads step and lead the way back. Happened at least 5 times in the last few months. Twice in the dark. Worth it’s price in gold those times.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve had one for the last year or so with the walkie talkie built in. It’s the 8 inch power sports version for my talon. It’s awesome. I added a rear and front garmin BC50 camera on my talon so it works with those as well. I can’t count how many times the group leaders download a map for riding areas on tablets, we go out and ride much longer then we anticipated. Then they get lost since they can’t download more maps without signal. So my buddy or myself with our treads step and lead the way back. Happened at least 5 times in the last month. Twice in the dark. Worth it’s price in gold those times.
Dam thats good to hear!
@Scrappapotamus Ill have to check out the new updated one you have at the TO.
Still love my Overlander but always up for an upgrade if my arm is pulled! Lol
Dam you guys!🤣

M

mmjsport

Apr 23, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Superatv discount codes work on it I believe and you earn points for more purchases. Best I’ve seen is 20 percent off I think so keep an eye out for sales. Expensive yes, but worth it. The satellite communications is awesome also. This is a pic of mine this past weekend. Have it mounted in the front next to my phone.

IMG 1217

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I've watched since back last Thanksgiving. They had a $100 off, same at Christmas. Years past I've seen $300 - $400 off. I'm sure they have an algorithm that tells how often someone from a certain IP Address returns, and how many lookers purchase over what period of time. Suppose they gauge their pricing from this data

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I've had one for a bit.
Out west it works really well (Colarado - Uncompahgre and Gunnison NF) .
It understands the MVUM (motor vehicle usage maps) put out by the forest service.
Forrest service doesn't care what the trail signs say, they use the MVUM to decide if you get a ticket.
Also I could see land ownership, private, NF or BLM.

However the trails around Royal Blue are lacking.
It has the main trials east of I-75 but nothing on the west.
And the format for adding info on an SD card is different than Orux maps (kind of the default in the club)

But it is nice that the unit transfers to my truck and I have navigation in a 20 year old chevy.
That, and I get GPS speed since I put 33" tires on.

advertisement
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
@Scrappapotamus and @lee and @anybody else using Garmin in the East. Look into the vvmaps they are comparatively inexpensive and have good coverage of a lot of riding areas. They are also auto routing.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
However the trails around Royal Blue are lacking.
@Scrappapotamus and @lee and @anybody else using Garmin in the East. Look into the vvmaps they are comparatively inexpensive and have good coverage of a lot of riding areas. They are also auto routing.
Exactly @Red500
Thats mainly what i use as the map overlay with mine VVMapping jeramy is the president of our snowmobile club MISORVA here in Mi and does a great job for ORV and Snowmobile maps. . When u put in the SD card in the Garmin, it reboots for the files and lays them perfectly for tracking. Ive used it for RRB for years and @lee you will find it will salve your problems you’re having for lacking on just the base.
Alot of POI are also on his cards as well

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just got a Montana 700i issued to me from work. Once I learn how to use it I'm sure it's pretty cool. Trying to figure out how to (if possible) load the files that @JACKAL has provided over the years.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just got a Montana 700i issued to me from work. Once I learn how to use it I'm sure it's pretty cool. Trying to figure out how to (if possible) load the files that @JACKAL has provided over the years.
Probably a YouTube video on how to add .gpx files. Pretty sure it involves a computer running BaseCamp a data cable and a Satanic ritual called a reverse exorcism. That's where you use the devil to get the preist out of the child.

I gave up on Garmin in 2015 because of its BS process. Garmin makes great GPS, but they are just as user friendly as a badger in a foothold trap.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Probably a YouTube video on how to add .gpx files. Pretty sure it involves a computer running BaseCamp a data cable and a Satanic ritual called a reverse exorcism. That's where you use the devil to get the preist out of the child.

I gave up on Garmin in 2015 because of its BS process. Garmin makes great GPS, but they are just as user friendly as a badger in a foothold trap.
Kinda how I feel! I was able to add your files to my Guru maps app on my phone, and for my purposes it seems to be sufficient. That being said I figured i'd try on the new toy, since I have it. Won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work.

Reactions: Blownzuki
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Kinda how I feel! I was able to add your files to my Guru maps app on my phone, and for my purposes it seems to be sufficient. That being said I figured i'd try on the new toy, since I have it. Won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work.
Oh it will work, you will feel the process was designed by the Govt. get after it Mule 😆

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh it will work, you will feel the process was designed by the Govt. get after it Mule 😆
They got them for us for the satellite communication link I suppose...when our phones and then radios fail. Just something else I have to keep up with...

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Exactly @Red500
Thats mainly what i use as the map overlay with mine VVMapping jeramy is the president of our snowmobile club MISORVA here in Mi and does a great job for ORV and Snowmobile maps. . When u put in the SD card in the Garmin, it reboots for the files and lays them perfectly for tracking. Ive used it for RRB for years and @lee you will find it will salve your problems you’re having for lacking on just the base.
Alot of POI are also on his cards as well
Dose VV cover the Royal Blue and New River units at TWRA?
Last time I checked they did not, it this has changed (and some one can post a picture to prove it) I will order one today.

they are just as user friendly as a badger in a foothold trap.

Sadly I have sat across a meeting room table from them and still bought there product.
As I said, works great for the areas that are covered, just dose not cover the area I ride most.
I have a work around - I follow some guys that know the area well.
But we all saw how that worked out last time...

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Its changed a lot in the last 9 yrs fo sho
But to each his own. Kinda like truck makes in the same sense🤣
Im a dyslexic and find there system easier for me to understand. But again thats for me.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Dose VV cover the Royal Blue and New River units at TWRA?
Last time I checked they did not, it this has changed (and some one can post a picture to prove it) I will order one today.
Id have to go out and get it to get you the screen shot. Kinda laid up right now from surgery last week.
But I believe it does. I just got an email from him last night ironically for some updates he just did. Ill have to check them out.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!