Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know some are using them already, which is what convinced me to make the switch. So I Sold my GoPro and got one. Really like it so far. Looking forward to adding a second camera as well.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am intrigued by the VIRB especially the on screen overlays that can show the track, pitch, & roll in a small hud for videos. Video quality seems great from seeing @drfubar videos.

I still have an old GoPro 2 from 2011 and it keeps chugging along. But the VIRB definately will be one on my top considerations when I upgrade.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree, I only spent about 5 mins looking at the overlays. One thing i noticed it did automatically was it skipped over where I was stopped for a little while. I had stopped to take some wood out of the bed when i backed up in the woods. I was there for at least a min or 2 and it skipped over that. Not sure what triggered it to do that. But saved me some editing. There is a newer model out there than the XE which i got. But for me I feel this is sufficient for my uses.

Reactions: sharp and drfubar
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree, I only spent about 5 mins looking at the overlays. One thing i noticed it did automatically was it skipped over where I was stopped for a little while. I had stopped to take some wood out of the bed when i backed up in the woods. I was there for at least a min or 2 and it skipped over that. Not sure what triggered it to do that. But saved me some editing. There is a newer model out there than the XE which i got. But for me I feel this is sufficient for my uses.
Weird cause I've forgotten mine was running for quite a long time and it never skipped.

Reactions: sharp and nbomar
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm going to upgrade to a Virb soon. I've also been using GoPro for years. GoPro is certainly a good camera but it seems they are outdated like Ohanacreek said.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Weird cause I've forgotten mine was running for quite a long time and it never skipped.

at 2:30 in the video it looks like it stopped. It actually was running all the way until my daughter got down there, climbed inside, and she stopped it recording. unless i did something when editing and combining the videos that i wasnt aware of.

Reactions: sharp and drfubar
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

There's a setting for "record on motion"

There are other versions but they require an additional housing to waterproof them, and from what I can tell only add 4K to the recording resolutions.

I'd rather have the VIRB XE, it works great for my use and even though I have computers that can display 4K, I almost never use 1080p on YouTube because of the download times.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There's a setting for "record on motion"

There are other versions but they require an additional housing to waterproof them, and from what I can tell only add 4K to the recording resolutions.

I'd rather have the VIRB XE, it works great for my use and even though I have computers that can display 4K, I almost never use 1080p on YouTube because of the download times.

Thats good to know. Ill have to check that out. Id rather it not only record in motion. Would prefer to edit it out. Planning on getting another XE once i get a few more $$$. The auto bundle on amazon is not bad priced and comes with a SD card for the same price as the regular XE

Reactions: sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
yes the XE is the one to buy. I have two Elites but they were given to me. I also have two XE's. I use the satellite information from one of the XE's when I'm editing.

Debating about saving $100 and using the X as my second camera instead of the XE. seems like the only difference is 30FPS with the X and 60 FPS with the XE at 1080P

Reactions: drfubar and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Debating about saving $100 and using the X as my second camera instead of the XE. seems like the only difference is 30FPS with the X and 60 FPS with the XE at 1080P

The FPS is noticeable when you have a lot of movement in the image, such as using it on a pioneer. Less motion blur.

4k would be nice "future resistance" but extra for camera and then a waterproof housing didn't make sense for me.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The FPS is noticeable when you have a lot of movement in the image, such as using it on a pioneer. Less motion blur.

4k would be nice "future resistance" but extra for camera and then a waterproof housing didn't make sense for me.
thanks, ill have to look into that. Didnt think it would make much difference, sounds like I am probably wrong

Reactions: drfubar and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks, ill have to look into that. Didnt think it would make much difference, sounds like I am probably wrong

Left off I also liked the waterproof charging/input/output on the XE, THAT was a big perk for a camera on Pioneer.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah, and I have both XE's wired to the Honda so all I have to do is flip a switch and they have power... no changing the battery. Also I control all four cameras at the same time with my phone. You can download the Virb app and see live what your main camera is seeing. Pretty awesome setup they have.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
OK, you enablers and my reasonably strong Google Fu have gotten me again! Have an XE and a refurb Elite for a secondary camera on the way. Where and how are y'all mounting these things in a P1K5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
OK, you enablers and my reasonably strong Google Fu have gotten me again! Have an XE and a refurb Elite for a secondary camera on the way. Where and how are y'all mounting these things in a P1K5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My front one i have mounted in the center of my ROPS sticking straight down with the camera upside down. Plan to do the same with the rear but use the ROPS halfway through the cab.

Reactions: sharp and elkaholic

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!