Virb camera/edit software

Mike129

Mike129

May 9, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a virb elite camera and have been having issues with the editing software since their (Virb edit) last update. I can't get any of the G-Metrix overlays to display on any of my videos. I have formatted SD card, reset the camera to default, and updated the firmware. I was wondering if anyone else that uses a virb camera is having the same issues and a possible fix. I have an email in to their support team, but haven't heard anything yet. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The manufacturer website should always be your first place to search. Usually after a "fix" breaks something else they have an update to correct it within a week or two.

VIRB® Edit | Garmin

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Learned me something today. When I was at the takeover I had two cameras running each with a 64GB card in them. In the past I would take the cameras on a day ride and download straight to the computer from the cameras that night. This time I had to clean the cards off to insure I had enough space for the next days ride. I hooked them up to my laptop(11 years old and not powerful enough to edit the videos but has a 2TB drive I installed a while back for movies and music) and downloaded the entire contents of the card to a folder per day and per card.

I get home transfer the near TB of files to my external drive on iMac and start pulling into VIRB Edit, and found that the dual cameras are seen NOT seen as multi-cam, the Gmetrix on the secondary camera is not working, and the main camera GMetrix have to be manually associated with each clip (they are a single file per ON period for the camera, on the card and can be imported manually easily but tediously to the individual clips).

Contacted Garmin their response is that for Multi-cam to work they have to imported directly from the cameras, the multi-cam associates the Gmetrix from the main camera to the secondary cameras, and you can use multiple cards but they have to be imported by plugging the cameras into the computer and importing the files that way.

I made the suggestion that the cameras should put a file on the card to designate multicam since it is a pain to have a computer just for editing or that name cards and got an actually response that the person was not a software engineer but that Garmin takes suggestions seriously and he would forward it to software engineering. Color me impressed.

I have one thing I can try that they suggested, that is since I copied the entire contents of the card to a dedicated folder I can reload them to the card and then import into the VIRB Edit software and they SHOULD transfer in a way that multicam and the GMetirx will import in automatically as well.

Just a heads up for anyone else using them this way.

@drfubar @joeymt33 @snuffnwhisky @Ragnar406 @Windrock1000 I tagged you because KNOW you guys have the VIRB

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Already knew it. I tried that myself about 4 months ago with the idea that you had of coming back at night and just downloading to my computer. So before I went to takeover I tried an experiment and as you said it does not work unless you use the Garmin software and download from the cameras directly. I didn't want to take 3 days of video and then not be able to use it. Can you salvage your video? Or did you delete it from the camera after you downloaded to your computer?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Already knew it. I tried that myself about 4 months ago with the idea that you had of coming back at night and just downloading to my computer. So before I went to takeover I tried an experiment and as you said it does not work unless you use the Garmin software and download from the cameras directly. I didn't want to take 3 days of video and then not be able to use it. Can you salvage your video? Or did you delete it from the camera after you downloaded to your computer?

Copied the entire contents of a card to an individual folder for that day and card to my computer. I am going to move it back to the card insert it into the original camera and re-import from the camera to see if all the info and Multi-cam will import. If not I still have the video it just won't edit the way I had intended.

Lesson learned. Since Garmin is such good quality and like the Apple of GPS I figured it would "just work" my fault for not checking.

The guy I spoke with said they ALMOST never have this question asked. That either people have a lot of extra cards and use the camera as the MicroSD adapter or they pull the data from a days use and thats it.

I'll have extra cards next year unless they release a software revision.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Copied the entire contents of a card to an individual folder for that day and card to my computer. I am going to move it back to the card insert it into the original camera and re-import from the camera to see if all the info and Multi-cam will import. If not I still have the video it just won't edit the way I had intended.

Lesson learned. Since Garmin is such good quality and like the Apple of GPS I figured it would "just work" my fault for not checking.

The guy I spoke with said they ALMOST never have this question asked. That either people have a lot of extra cards and use the camera as the MicroSD adapter or they pull the data from a days use and thats it.

I'll have extra cards next year unless they release a software revision.
As it tirned out I had enough memory and didn't have to download till I got home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Learned me something today. When I was at the takeover I had two cameras running each with a 64GB card in them. In the past I would take the cameras on a day ride and download straight to the computer from the cameras that night. This time I had to clean the cards off to insure I had enough space for the next days ride. I hooked them up to my laptop(11 years old and not powerful enough to edit the videos but has a 2TB drive I installed a while back for movies and music) and downloaded the entire contents of the card to a folder per day and per card.

I get home transfer the near TB of files to my external drive on iMac and start pulling into VIRB Edit, and found that the dual cameras are seen NOT seen as multi-cam, the Gmetrix on the secondary camera is not working, and the main camera GMetrix have to be manually associated with each clip (they are a single file per ON period for the camera, on the card and can be imported manually easily but tediously to the individual clips).

Contacted Garmin their response is that for Multi-cam to work they have to imported directly from the cameras, the multi-cam associates the Gmetrix from the main camera to the secondary cameras, and you can use multiple cards but they have to be imported by plugging the cameras into the computer and importing the files that way.

I made the suggestion that the cameras should put a file on the card to designate multicam since it is a pain to have a computer just for editing or that name cards and got an actually response that the person was not a software engineer but that Garmin takes suggestions seriously and he would forward it to software engineering. Color me impressed.

I have one thing I can try that they suggested, that is since I copied the entire contents of the card to a dedicated folder I can reload them to the card and then import into the VIRB Edit software and they SHOULD transfer in a way that multicam and the GMetirx will import in automatically as well.

@drfubar @joeymt33 @snuffnwhisky @Ragnar406 @Windrock1000 I tagged you because KNOW you guys have the VIRB
Thanks for the heads up, I am seriously considering getting a second camera for the back. Hopefully they make the software change to allow you to do with out pulling from the camera. Good to know incase they don't.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

I had to use the timestamp on the video and gmetrix to match them up when not importing through the camera. Might not work for a dual setup if they start at the same time.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!