Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
ok, I have been trying to follow, but over my head tech wise.
As I see it so far, we need.
1) any blue tooth reader similar to this
View attachment 383813
2) anyway to connect obd2 to 4 pin such as
HondaSxS store HONDA 6PIN to OBD2
HondaSxS store 6PIN to 4 PIN
3) something to run the app on
4) software app???????? SXSOBD2 ???
Where do we get the app?
And I see it is harder then just that, just trying to dumb it down for me to understand.
And, as you can see, haha!, step by step instructions, with pictures. 👍
Have a good day
Yep, that adapter will work. I still need time to finish the software/app and run more tests to ensure it's stable. Once I'm done though, I'll get a copy of it to you and explain how to install it on an Android device.

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
So u got it to work?
What all can it tell us?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I still have a lot to do but I'll break it down and post updates over the next few weeks. The solution is very difficult to explain in short terms. Basically, I have to send a request to the ECU to initialize it and immediately send another request for the data.
I'll keep updated...

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
So u got it to work?
What all can it tell us?

Okay, from what I gathered, the reason many OBDII devices/readers don't work on Honda's is due to the initialization sequence, timing, and order in which commands are sent to the ECU. But first, the side-x-side must be in diagnostics mode by shorting two wires on the DLC. Then, the ECU is ready to query.
On the programming side, Honda's require a "wake-up" signal and change in baud rate (communication delay) for initialization. Here's generally how it works...
OBDII devices work similarly to a server/client relationship with the vehicle. In all cases, the OBDII must request the data from the vehicle and wait for a response. For example, if you want the RPM, the OBDII device sends the value "010C" (otherwise known as a PID code) to the ECU. Then, the ECU responds with the current RPM. However, the OBDII device also has to be listening for the correct response and then convert it to decimal. Additionally, the request only returns one instance of the RPM's value. So, to monitor the RPM in real-time, the OBDII device has to keep repeating the request and updating the value it receives back. This becomes too much work for the ECU if there are multiple requests and if they occur too often. I witnessed this myself when the ECU responded with "BUS BUSY" while only requesting the RPM and battery voltage. But, once I work out the sequencing, this shouldn't be as much of an issue for a few gauges.

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
ok, I have been trying to follow, but over my head tech wise.
As I see it so far, we need.
1) any blue tooth reader similar to this
View attachment 383813
2) anyway to connect obd2 to 4 pin such as
HondaSxS store HONDA 6PIN to OBD2
HondaSxS store 6PIN to 4 PIN
3) something to run the app on
4) software app???????? SXSOBD2 ???
Where do we get the app?
And I see it is harder then just that, just trying to dumb it down for me to understand.
And, as you can see, haha!, step by step instructions, with pictures. 👍
Have a good day
Do you have a p500, p700, or p1000? If you have the p1000, the app will work the way it is. However, I'm still getting it to work with the p500 and p700 models because they are wired completely different than the p1000.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you have a p500, p700, or p1000? If you have the p1000, the app will work the way it is. However, I'm still getting it to work with the p500 and p700 models because they are wired completely different than the p1000.
I have a Honda Pioneer 1000.
Ok, I have the reader and the OBD2 to Honda 4 pin cable.
So now, I just need the app.
👍
App name?
Is it online for download?
Thanks,
Have a good day

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
I have a Honda Pioneer 1000.
Ok, I have the reader and the OBD2 to Honda 4 pin cable.
So now, I just need the app.
👍
App name?
Is it online for download?
Thanks,
Have a good day
Crap, I think you need the 6 pin adapter for the 1000. You'll find the DLC connection in the front storage area. Look to the right, by the steering linkage and it should be a red coupler plugged into a plastic termination receptacle. Atleast that's where mine is. Give me your email and I'll send you the app. There's a few necessary steps it'll take to install it because Android doesn't allow 3rd party installs by default. Don't worry about security, I created this app personally and there's nothing in it that would jeopardize your info or your phone in any way. I'll include detailed instructions in the email as well.

H

HondaTech

Crap, I think you need the 6 pin adapter for the 1000. You'll find the DLC connection in the front storage area. Look to the right, by the steering linkage and it should be a red coupler plugged into a plastic termination receptacle. Atleast that's where mine is. Give me your email and I'll send you the app. There's a few necessary steps it'll take to install it because Android doesn't allow 3rd party installs by default. Don't worry about security, I created this app personally and there's nothing in it that would jeopardize your info or your phone in any way. I'll include detailed instructions in the email as well.

The Pioneer 1000 is only 6 pin from 2022 and up. The connector is under the drivers side side cushion.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I started a conversation with you, and it has my email address.
I think I read somewhere that my 2018, 1000 is a 4 pin plug, but only uses 3.
And I have been reading up on the connections/pin outs.
Just in case the one I bought needs to be modified.
OBD2 Honda 4pin

ODBII Master Pinout

Yes, I understand about the 3rd party app process. 👍
I installed the original Need for speed-Shift.apk onto my S22Ultra.
Thank you in advance, for giving me the opportunity to test out your app.
I will keep the group informed of the process and how the app works.
But, I will not give it to anyone unless I have your prior approval.
Have a good day

Last edited:
DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
View attachment 384990
View attachment 384941
Have a good day
All set! I sent you an email with the APK and instructions. 🤘
Thank you for your discretion as well! Also, the app should work on any vehicle, including your car/truck and farm equipment.
lol... I still play Need for Speed Underground and Shift. But, Underground is my favorite in the series!

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
View attachment 384990
View attachment 384941
Have a good day
With a 4-pin, you have to put the vehicle is "diagnostics mode" to communicate with the ECU. This is done by jumping the brown/red with the green wires on the DLC. I just use a paper clip to jump the circuit in the adapter. In doing do however, the ECU will also enable all the restrictions to the operating mode, similar to when it doesn't detect a seatbelt. So, you really can't use real-time data while on the trail, which sucks! In contrast, the 6-pin also uses the L-line, which is specifically for getting real-time data during normal operation. I'm currently trying to figure out a way around this limitation because I own a Pioneer 700 with the 4-pin.

ODBII Master Pinout note   1 Screenshot from 2023 04 27 11 17 29

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
So u got it to work?
What all can it tell us?

Thank you for sending me adapters! Regarding the 4-6 pin DLC adapter, it took some time to file down on the white male end to get it to fit. I confirmed the continuity and pin assignment on all three pins. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem like I had hoped. However, I think I discovered something during this process. On the OBDII to 6 pin adapter, it's possible to trigger diagnostics mode by connecting pin "C," which is the SCS Service line (pin 9 on the 16 pin side), to a ground. Therefore, theoretically, I should be able to install a simple toggle switch on the dashboard and leave the OBDII connected all the time. When I want to see real-time data, I can toggle the mode and use my app without leaving the drivers seat. Obviously, this is just a work around because it still doesn't allow me to view real-time data while driving. ... But it's a move in the right direction.

BadMoon

BadMoon

Feb 27, 2023
S.E. Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you for sending me adapters! Regarding the 4-6 pin DLC adapter, it took some time to file down on the white male end to get it to fit. I confirmed the continuity and pin assignment on all three pins. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem like I had hoped. However, I think I discovered something during this process. On the OBDII to 6 pin adapter, it's possible to trigger diagnostics mode by connecting pin "C," which is the SCS Service line (pin 9 on the 16 pin side), to a ground. Therefore, theoretically, I should be able to install a simple toggle switch on the dashboard and leave the OBDII connected all the time. When I want to see real-time data, I can toggle the mode and use my app without leaving the drivers seat. Obviously, this is just a work around because it still doesn't allow me to view real-time data while driving. ... But it's a move in the right direction.
that procedure is very similar to working on industrial equipment to "talk" and or manipulate the service mode so to speak

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@DenommeInc
I am still pinning/testing things out, but in the process I came across this webpage that I thought might be of interest to you.
He was using a Raspberry-Pi, but I thought item number 5 about the Initialization Sequence timings was rather in depth.
edit to add "WOW!" that website has some good information.
Am going to copy every bit that I can, in case it gets taken down.
I am busy taking pics and making things user understandable.
Will post when I have it all organized more.
example:
4pin Honda Pioneer 1000 harness end

I found the pin numbering online, so I just kept using it.
Have a good day

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
@DenommeInc
I am still pinning/testing things out, but in the process I came across this webpage that I thought might be of interest to you.
He was using a Raspberry-Pi, but I thought item number 5 about the Initialization Sequence timings was rather in depth.
edit to add "WOW!" that website has some good information.
Am going to copy every bit that I can, in case it gets taken down.
I am busy taking pics and making things user understandable.
Will post when I have it all organized more.
example:
View attachment 385375
I found the pin numbering online, so I just kept using it.
Have a good day
I found that too. I tried following the instructions using a raspberry pi 4 but I just get a blank screen when I run it. I think I installed all the dependencies it required and set the Bluetooth to serial correctly. But, I must have missed something.

Reactions: Backwoods
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, .........crap.
Just because it has 4 pins, does not mean it is a 4 pin. haha live and learn.
I was hoping I could do the DLC "jump" at my OBD connector end, or maybe rig up a push button to make it work. Not gonna happen with the OBD2 to 4 pin connector I have. When I cut it apart, there are only 3 wires from the OBD2 connector to the Honda 4 pin connector.
I just ordered one with all 16 wires, and will pin it to my Honda 4 pin when it gets here.
Testing of @DenommeInc SXS-OBD2 App, is on hold until I get my battery replaced.
As far as I got with testing, was turning on the key. Didn't even get to hook anything up.
My check engine light started flashing code 64.
Code 64 - Drive power circuit low voltage(less than 6.5 V when the ignition switch is ON)
The other day, "Wild Blue" cranked kind of slow, didn't think much about it at the time.
Yep, weak battery.
I think it is the original, but I do not know, I never asked the guy I bought it from.
Side note, the SXS-OBD2 app did work in my 2012 Ford F150.

Screenshot 20230428 235839 SXS OBD2
Screenshot 20230427 174848 SXS OBD2
Screenshot 20230501 153539 SXS OBD2

Screenshot 20230501 153826 SXS OBD2
Screenshot 20230501 153722 SXS OBD2
hahaha, it was nice enough to show me all my active fault codes.
Screenshot 20230501 154334 SXS OBD2

Guess I might want to get them fixed........
Maybe we can talk @DenommeInc into letting someone else do some testing of his App.
Unknown when I will get a battery.
Daughters graduation is this Month, money has to go there first.
Have a good day

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Well, .........crap.
Just because it has 4 pins, does not mean it is a 4 pin. haha live and learn.
I was hoping I could do the DLC "jump" at my OBD connector end, or maybe rig up a push button to make it work. Not gonna happen with the OBD2 to 4 pin connector I have. When I cut it apart, there are only 3 wires from the OBD2 connector to the Honda 4 pin connector.
I just ordered one with all 16 wires, and will pin it to my Honda 4 pin when it gets here.
Testing of @DenommeInc SXS-OBD2 App, is on hold until I get my battery replaced.
As far as I got with testing, was turning on the key. Didn't even get to hook anything up.
My check engine light started flashing code 64.
Code 64 - Drive power circuit low voltage(less than 6.5 V when the ignition switch is ON)
The other day, "Wild Blue" cranked kind of slow, didn't think much about it at the time.
Yep, weak battery.
I think it is the original, but I do not know, I never asked the guy I bought it from.
Side note, the SXS-OBD2 app did work in my 2012 Ford F150.

View attachment 385527.View attachment 385528.View attachment 385529
View attachment 385530.View attachment 385531.
hahaha, it was nice enough to show me all my active fault codes.
View attachment 385532
Guess I might want to get them fixed........
Maybe we can talk @DenommeInc into letting someone else do some testing of his App.
Unknown when I will get a battery.
Daughters graduation is this Month, money has to go there first.
Have a good day
Thanks Mark!
Try clearing the fault codes and see if they come back. I've had that p0430 code come up on a few times on my jeep. It's just an annoying emissions check. Hopefully, they won't return and your truck is okay.
Also, you can change the kph to mph and c to f in the settings menu.

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Well... I thought about it and here it is!
All that I ask is that, if you manage to get your Honda SxS to connect and share real-time data, tell me what you did.
That aside, it's a nice tool to have regardless because it works for all vehicles with a CAN BUS the way it stands. I've successfully tested it on my Jeep, my wife's Hyundai, a friends Dodge Ram, and Mark in Northern Iowa tested it on his Ford F-150 (Thanks Mark!).
Note: this is a raw APK file for Android devices. Therefore, you have to install it manually.
1: download it and unzip
2: put the unzipped APK file on your Android device (downloads folder is fine)
3: you have to allow installs from unknown sources on your device in settings
4: hold your finger on the APK file, select install

Attachments

• sxs_obd2.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!