Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Hi everyone!

I started on a new project that’s long overdue for us riders. I’m creating an Android-based OBDII reader for side-x-sides (specifically for Honda in the beginning) and would love to hear some suggestions and perhaps get some guidance from the community.

I’ve already created a few examples that work perfectly on a k-line emulator; however, I can’t get a stable connection to the ecu on my 2022 Pioneer 700 in a real-world test. I’m using an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter with an OBDII to 4 pin conversion for the DLC connection. The protocol I’m using is ISO 14230-4 (KWP fast).

From what I've learned about Honda, it has to be put in diagnostics mode to get data from the ecu by faulting two wires on the DLC. However, in doing so, normal functionalities are limited. I've done a lot of research on it but it appears Honda keeps most of this information secret. Therefore, it'll take a lot of trial and error, which is fine with me because I'm having a blast doing it. Regardless, this is where I hope the community will help.

If you would like to be involved or help out with your own experience, I’m happy to talk to anyone with an interest in the topic. If your a fellow coder, I can share my source code.
Eric

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome.
No luck so far and I'm not skilled or priledged enough with ODB2 software or tools to continue any further.

I did had this made in hopes someone could figure out the 2022+ units.

Also have a 4 to 6 pin adaptor but I'm not aware the 4pin used odb2.

If you need either of these. I'll send you one for free to help break the code. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa........again. haha
Glad you made it over here from the other place.👍
This place has the knowledge to help and the want for something like this, if you can get it up and running.
Have a good day
Thank you for the suggestion! This is great!

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Welcome.
No luck so far and I'm not skilled or priledged enough with ODB2 software or tools to continue any further.

If you need either of these. I'll send you one for free to help break the code. Lol.

Thanks! Mine has the 4 pin, which I already bought one with the rs232 conversion for OBDII. Thank you so much for the offer though!

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Interesting. Does the 23 700 have canbus like the 1000s? And does that make any difference to you in what your looking to do?
Yes, it uses the ISO 14230 fast protocol over K-Line. I think the problem may involve setting the correct baud rate or delay time to establish the connection, which is new to me. Are you familiar with this?

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Welcome.

After some thought, yes, I would like to try out your adapters Hondasxs. I'm pretty sure you already have my information from the site registration. If not, please let me know.

H

HondaTech

Dynojet has the PV3 which allows unit operation and displays outputs at the same time.

Our dealer diagnostic hardware does as well.

So there's gotta be some trickery involved to read data and not disrupt the ecms operation

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Dynojet has the PV3 which allows unit operation and displays outputs at the same time.

Our dealer diagnostic hardware does as well.

So there's gotta be some trickery involved to read data and not disrupt the ecms operation
I absolutely agree! There must be a command that I can send to the ECU to toggle the live-data. There's nothing about it in the shop manual though. There's a few devices out there that claim they can do it as well, such as this... Diagnostic Scanner Fault Code Reader for Honda ATV. So, I know it's possible. However, without seeing their source code or paying Honda myself for the information, I'm forced to use trial and error.

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Screen Shots of the app. I call it "SXSOBD2." It's running on a Galaxy Tab A tablet. The tablet connects via Bluetooth Low-Energy to a standard OBDII Ble adapter while plugged into a vehicle.
Currently, there's gauge, line, and graph views.
ScreenShot1 2023 04 09 Screenshot 20230409 105050 SXS OBD2 Screenshot 20230409 105108 SXS OBD2 Screenshot 20230409 105122 SXS OBD2 Screenshot 20230409 105717 SXS OBD2 Screenshot 20230409 105736 SXS OBD2 Screenshot 20230409 105754 SXS OBD2

H

HondaTech

I absolutely agree! There must be a command that I can send to the ECU to toggle the live-data. There's nothing about it in the shop manual though. There's a few devices out there that claim they can do it as well, such as this... Diagnostic Scanner Fault Code Reader for Honda ATV. So, I know it's possible. However, without seeing their source code or paying Honda myself for the information, I'm forced to use trial and error.

Snap-on makes one as well that works for our Motorcycles, but doesn't seem to like the SXSs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

DenommeInc

DenommeInc

Software Developer
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Georgia
www.denommeinc.net
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-2
Found this today for a 2022+ Pioneer 1000
View attachment 383599
I read through the ISO 15031-3 (and related) documents that I could find. Unfortunately, they don't mention the specific communication protocol Honda uses. After a lot of testing, I believe it's the ISO 9141 protocol now because I've got my app to connect to the ECU with it, but I still can't get data back from it.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ok, I have been trying to follow, but over my head tech wise.
As I see it so far, we need.
1) any blue tooth reader similar to this
Bluetooth reader

2) anyway to connect obd2 to 4 pin such as
HondaSxS store HONDA 6PIN to OBD2
HondaSxS store 6PIN to 4 PIN
3) something to run the app on
4) software app???????? SXSOBD2 ???
Where do we get the app?
And I see it is harder then just that, just trying to dumb it down for me to understand.
And, as you can see, haha!, step by step instructions, with pictures. 👍
Have a good day

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!