P500 Gas milage towing

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I have towed my 500 a lot of miles, round trips to Colorado are 2000 miles, biweekly trips to our hunting lease is 150 miles. It's always amazed me that my F-150 will get 20 to 22 mpg empty. I got 15.6 mpg pulling a 22 foot Stratos bass boat, with a 200 Evinrude, on a tandem trailer at freeway speeds going to northern Minnesota and back this Spring, but when I hook up to my 14 foot single axle trailer and put the 500 on it I get 12 to 13 mpg. A friend of mine, I go to Colorado with, pulled it with his Chevy 2500 diesel and it killed the mileage on his rig about the same percentage, too. The boat outweighs the 500 by a lot, specially full of all our gear like is on the trips to Minnesota. I've tried it with the windshield and rear glass out and it made no difference in the mileage. I've loaded it backwards and still no improvement in the mileage. I've had an idea to try some kind of reflector on the front, for a while now, but never got around to trying it. Yesterday I wanted to bring a lightweight hollow core door home from the lease, so I strapped it on the front of the 500.

SxS zps2qclwgbz

Went from 12.5 mph, on the crooked hilly two lane road I've driven a 100 times, to 15.2 mpg. When I got on the freeway for a few miles the mpg increased to 15.5. I've never got over 13 mpg before. I going to get a sheet of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood and rip some 2x2s out of some light weight spruce and build one that reaches all the way to the top of the cab of the 500 and see how it goes.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
I have towed my 500 a lot of miles, round trips to Colorado are 2000 miles, biweekly trips to our hunting lease is 150 miles. It's always amazed me that my F-150 will get 20 to 22 mpg empty. I got 15.6 mpg pulling a 22 foot Stratos bass boat, with a 200 Evinrude, on a tandem trailer at freeway speeds going to northern Minnesota and back this Spring, but when I hook up to my 14 foot single axle trailer and put the 500 on it I get 12 to 13 mpg. A friend of mine, I go to Colorado with, pulled it with his Chevy 2500 diesel and it killed the mileage on his rig about the same percentage, too. The boat outweighs the 500 by a lot, specially full of all our gear like is on the trips to Minnesota. I've tried it with the windshield and rear glass out and it made no difference in the mileage. I've loaded it backwards and still no improvement in the mileage. I've had an idea to try some kind of reflector on the front, for a while now, but never got around to trying it. Yesterday I wanted to bring a lightweight hollow core door home from the lease, so I strapped it on the front of the 500.

View attachment 54218

Went from 12.5 mph, on the crooked hilly two lane road I've driven a 100 times, to 15.2 mpg. When I got on the freeway for a few miles the mpg increased to 15.5. I've never got over 13 mpg before. I going to get a sheet of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood and rip some 2x2s out of some light weight spruce and build one that reaches all the way to the top of the cab of the 500 and see how it goes.

Yea I get the same thing. do you have a ramp on the back of trailer? you may want to try putting the ramp in the back of the truck if you have room. That thing is like a wall back there. It looks like you have diverted some of the air flow over the ramp.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Hauling
Pretty much the same thing I see with my F150. I go 3300 miles round trip to Montana. We usually drive about 72MPH. I tarp mine to keep the road debris off and have rigged plywood panels to close off the cab. I can't say that makes any difference with mileage. Slowing down to 55-60MPH gets the mileage up to 15.
Whatever you do make sure nothing can touch the windshield. My tarp did and it really scratched it up. I now put some of that plastic contractor's sticky film used to protect floors on it to keep the tarp from rubbing on it.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

View attachment 54218

First take a lil trip with the trailer w/o the p5 on it .

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
My f150 gets right at 21mpg empty and with the p5 on a 5.5x10 steel trailer it gets around 17-18 mpg. That's pulling through nc, va and wv hills. I will be towing it with my 2015 edge this weekend. It usually gets 26 mpg empty I curious to see how it does loaded.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 F-150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. I average about 22 mpg unloaded.

I have a 16' aluminum single axle trailer and a P1K. I averaged 16 MPG until I put the windshield on, that dropped it to 12-13 and made a noticeable difference in acceleration.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
What Wallace said. :) Long trip I remove the tail and use a couple steel ramps to load and unload with and throw them in. Tall wide tail stays home.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
View attachment 54219 Pretty much the same thing I see with my F150. I go 3300 miles round trip to Montana. We usually drive about 72MPH. I tarp mine to keep the road debris off and have rigged plywood panels to close off the cab. I can't say that makes any difference with mileage. Slowing down to 55-60MPH gets the mileage up to 15.
Whatever you do make sure nothing can touch the windshield. My tarp did and it really scratched it up. I now put some of that plastic contractor's sticky film used to protect floors on it to keep the tarp from rubbing on it.

Tarps are bad news. It's amazing how people put them on vehicles to store outside. A vehicle is much better off with nothing on it stored outside. The tarps trap moisture, let dirt in, then wind starts whipping them.............................
Honda now sells a trailerable cover for the P500. It would be a better option than a tarp anyway.

advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 54218

The tail gate on the trailer is a mileage killer. My trailer had a taller one, and screened like yours- I took it off and gained 4mpg with my Tundra- it barely got 11mpg with the gate installed, and felt like it was dragging an anchor. Then I took all the enclosure off the machine and gained 2 more mpg, and could barely tell there was anything hooked to the truck. Now I just carry two small ramps in the cab of the machine when I travel.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not sure what I’ll get pulling the p5, I know I get 22 to 24 empty, about 16 pulling my 60” zero turn on my 12x76 trailer. I’ll report when I get back, I’m going to bet that it’s going to suck the fuel mileage down pretty good. Next time I get a new truck I’m going to get a 3:55 rear instead of 3:21. I do have to say that my 15 Ram with the 3.6 pentastar does pretty darn good.

Reactions: lee
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get crap mileage. 11 with truck camper and towing P5. 13.5 empty. 2017 F 350 6.2 gasser. Crapper! FOOKIN CREPES!

Reactions: rocmar
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 54218

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
What about shrink wrapping the cab!!
Packing plastic wrap that you use around pallets??

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pulled the p5 and my sons four wheeler 100 miles today, dropped my mpg from 21 to 11.3.... I was hoping for a touch better!

I

iceboundzeke

Mar 15, 2016
Iowa
I take it everyone has a front window shield.I thought about taking mine off on long hauls but then I would have to store it where it can’t get damaged.

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!