P1000 Gear indicator.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Wondering how other machines work in regards to the indicator saying what gear the machine has shifted into. Sometimes it will show H and other times it will show what ever gear it is in. It's not constant in showing which gear the machine is actually running in. It's not a big deal but just wondering if others have this same issue. Looking forward to hear what others have to say.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
When mine is in auto it shows the H or L. When in manual it shows the gear number
IIRC, it will switch to the gear number if you override with the paddle while in AUTO, then go back to H/L when it times out (no more manual shifting).

Reactions: WagginTail
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I'm in Manual and paddle shifting, it will downshift without my input if it thinks the engine is lugging. I was kind'a surprised by this as I thought manual was manual.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IIRC, it will switch to the gear number if you override with the paddle while in AUTO, then go back to H/L when it times out (no more manual shifting).
Yes mine does that also

Reactions: Scoop
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I'm in Manual and paddle shifting, it will downshift without my input if it thinks the engine is lugging. I was kind'a surprised by this as I thought manual was manual.
Yea. Maybe to keep from burning up clutches? I like it that way

Reactions: Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That's the "senile old man" feature of the DCT. It figures you forgot to shift, so it does it for you. :)

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well kinda off subject.But i have not fiqured this trans out at all.I tried running low range auto and low manual and it shifts all the time from me shifting to the bike down shifting when it thinks iam lugging it.Next time trail riding iam going 4 high range auto in sport mode if it gets hairy then low range.Let the clutch take it or break it.

Reactions: Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Especially on hilly slower trails, those with lots of 4 to 8"+ rocks, some larger ones in spots where you have to pick your line, I'd think trying to run in high is gonna be harder on the clutches than running in low. I'll admit, I haven't tried Sport mode, but my understanding is it just raises the rpm of the shift points.

Reactions: Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well kinda off subject.But i have not fiqured this trans out at all.I tried running low range auto and low manual and it shifts all the time from me shifting to the bike down shifting when it thinks iam lugging it.Next time trail riding iam going 4 high range auto in sport mode if it gets hairy then low range.Let the clutch take it or break it.
I hated auto in low range when i first got my machine. After months of driving in low manual, I use auto in low now all the time. They say the computer learns your driving style. So either it does or I just believe that enough to make myself think it's shifting when I want it to. It's gonna down shift regardless when you're slowing down. High range works for most normal trails. I never use sport mode.

J

jonrick

May 17, 2018
Camano Island
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wondering how other machines work in regards to the indicator saying what gear the machine has shifted into. Sometimes it will show H and other times it will show what ever gear it is in. It's not constant in showing which gear the machine is actually running in. It's not a big deal but just wondering if others have this same issue. Looking forward to hear what others have to say.
It's the same for me: it takes a while for the indicator to catch up with the shift - especially as regards going from Turf to 2 Wheel, or into 4 Wheel, or 4 Wheel Differential lock. After a few minutes it updates to the proper one. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but if there was a fix I'd like to know as well.

Update: I found THIS You Tube on the topic:
Not sure of what the fix is, but seems exact problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
When you're crawling really slow, especially up a steeper grade and going over good sized rocks and boulders, it's best to just be in manual mode and stick with 2nd (and maybe 3rd if speeds pick up a little) or you'll heat those clutches up in no time flat. @JACKAL learned me that and it worked out well.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
When you're crawling really slow, especially up a steeper grade and going over good sized rocks and boulders, it's best to just be in manual mode and stick with 2nd (and maybe 3rd if speeds pick up a little) or you'll heat those clutches up in no time flat. @JACKAL learned me that and it worked out well.
The problem I've had in Auto when climbing (Talon) is the unwanted upshift at the worst possible moment. And since I'm almost always in Auto, I don't think about it until it happens. :oops:

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Base model without paddles just shows high and low. If you see a number you have trouble

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!