P1000 Gear Shift Problem with Codes

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good morning from Southeast Louisiana! I got a quick question.
Should I buy an aftermarket shift motor or Honda the OEM?
My cousin has a new aftermarket shift motor for his 2013 Honda Rancher 420 that’s never been used and I thought about buying it from him.

What do y’all recommend?

Thank you and have a blessed day!

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
You can try by cleaning it first.Then Honda shift motor imo.
agree - still at step 1, inspect, clean, etc. - it could be a bad connector \wire for all we know

honestly I have bought both - the non-ronda for a P500 and a Honda OEM for a P1000 - they both looked the same and both worked so who knows

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good morning from Southeast Louisiana! I got a quick question.
Should I buy an aftermarket shift motor or Honda the OEM?
My cousin has a new aftermarket shift motor for his 2013 Honda Rancher 420 that’s never been used and I thought about buying it from him.

What do y’all recommend?

Thank you and have a blessed day!
Try it if he’s not planning to take it back.
But I think good chance that’s your problem. A friend of mine had same symptoms so we tore into it and just cleaned it, problem was solved.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
agree - still at step 1, inspect, clean, etc. - it could be a bad connector \wire for all we know

honestly I have bought both - the non-ronda for a P500 and a Honda OEM for a P1000 - they both looked the same and both worked so who knows
its basically a mini DC motor similar to a car starter, no bend-ix, direct drive - flop polarity to drive it forward\reverse to switch gears, so it has brushes inside for the commutator - it could just be glazed over and dirty - who knows unless you look - I fixed my buddies P500, the shift motor the magnets cracked inside and came loose and would lock up the rotor, bought the non honda shift motor and put in and al was fine - we did go after connections, wiring first then were just looking to clean it

Reactions: Travis R
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It was for his 2013 Rancher 420 lol
glad u got it fixed. now get that thing snorkled before u have serious problems. again u do have a 16'.
also work on getting a dual battery set up and put the radio, light bar and winch on it. These rigs like pure voltage from the main battery to shift correctly

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have to give this the WOW factor for the fact the shift motor is so standard for different models.Same wiring ????
it’s like wheel brake cylinders on a Chevy - same cylinder used from the 50’s and up - if it ain’t broke - don’t fix it

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anybody know if it’s possible to have my original shift motor rebuilt for a spare? There’s a local alternator/starter electrical repair shop close to my location.
I got the old motor apart and everything has black dust inside but the magnets are not broke. Thanks