P1000 Getting Real

DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes, mine too. I am sure once I get the VIRB working, my videos will feature lots of "wohoo hoo hoo" noises as I am reminded with every puddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't waist your time. You'll be disappointed. I haven't been able to get a passenger to complain about steam yet. ;)

Reactions: moparornocar

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very true - the product get made to spec and often the cheep junk you are referring to has reduced specs to hit a target cost but all of that is determined by the company that contracts with the factory. I am in the home category and I will testify not all items of equal retail are specked out equally.
If there were a "Like" to the tenth power for your post, I would've clicked on it. The world is changing and we have to be vigilant on everything we buy. Sad but true. Roll with the changes.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If there were a "Like" to the tenth power for your post, I would've clicked on it. The world is changing and we have to be vigilant on everything we buy. Sad but true. Roll with the changes.
Right!!

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very true - the product get made to spec and often the cheep junk you are referring to has reduced specs to hit a target cost but all of that is determined by the company that contracts with the factory. I am in the home category and I will testify not all items of equal retail are specked out equally.
I found this fact out about fifteen years ago... A Poulan Weedeater from Walmart of an advertised model number is different from the same Poulan Weedeater with the same advertised model number available from your local hometown hardware store. In the UPC number, the Walmart unit will have a "W" added. This is a contract that Walmart enticed Poulan into making small but important (to you and me) changes to the machine to save a couple bucks to undercut other retailers. My local hardware store version's carburetor was metal and the Walmart's version was plastic. $20.00 difference in price. And my local store couldn't stock the plastic carb version if they wanted to.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found this fact out about fifteen years ago... A Poulan Weedeater from Walmart of an advertised model number is different from the same Poulan Weedeater with the same advertised model number available from your local hometown hardware store. In the UPC number, the Walmart unit will have a "W" added. This is a contract that Walmart enticed Poulan into making small but important (to you and me) changes to the machine to save a couple bucks to undercut other retailers. My local hardware store version's carburetor was metal and the Walmart's version was plastic. $20.00 difference in price. And my local store couldn't stock the plastic carb version if they wanted to.

NEVER buy anything you want to last from Walmart, like you said its cheaper for a reason.

Fun fact 88% of automotive batteries in the US are made by one company in two plants, all to drastically different specs depending on the name on the sticker, I would tell you NOT to by a battery from Walmart but it would affect my 401k.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NEVER buy anything you want to last from Walmart, like you said its cheaper for a reason.

Fun fact 88% of automotive batteries in the US are made by one company in two plants, all to drastically different specs depending on the name on the sticker, I would tell you NOT to by a battery from Walmart but it would affect my 401k.

I’ve heard all the TVs at Walmart have different internals in them. Crazy they can get these things changed from major manufacturers.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

LOL! That's great stuff! I got duped 20 years ago by an "AC-Delco" automotive battery from Walmart thinking it was OEM equipment only to find out (2 years and one dead battery later) it was an Excide battery with an AC-Delco sticker on it. Bruuhhh...I was teed up like Tiger Woods.

Reactions: JTW
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve heard all the TVs at Walmart have different internals in them. Crazy they can get these things changed from major manufacturers.

We've had several tv's from Wal-Mart. Always buy the extended warranty. We started with a vizeo 52" made it a year, full price back. Went to a 60 some inch. A year and a half. Went out. Now a 72" for 2 years now. I hope it goes out soon. Because there's a bigger one I like. And prices just keep going down. Its Like trading in every so often for free!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's 5 people climbing a mountain for 10 miles at 95deg and sunny. Not even wearing proper attire. No problems. These are not vehicle's for snowflakes!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

And for what it's worth...I've had the best luck with Auto Zone's brand of Duralast Gold batteries. Not positive if that's even the name because I haven't needed to think about or look at my truck battery in the last several years. Top line (except for Optima) Auto Zone. Can't go wrong!!!

Reactions: JTW

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We've had several tv's from Wal-Mart. Always buy the extended warranty. We started with a vizeo 52" made it a year, full price back. Went to a 60 some inch. A year and a half. Went out. Now a 72" for 2 years now. I hope it goes out soon. Because there's a bigger one I like. And prices just keep going down. Its Like trading in every so often for free!
Hey!!! Ya killin' my 401k!

Reactions: Plumber32
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And for what it's worth...I've had the best luck with Auto Zone's brand of Duralast Gold batteries. Not positive if that's even the name because I haven't needed to think about or look at my truck battery in the last several years. Top line (except for Optima) Auto Zone. Can't go wrong!!!

Duralast and Deka are made by East Penn, one of the few actual competitors with quality, and the largest family owned manufacturer.

The Optima is weird you got fans, you have people that couldn't care either way then you have people that hate them with every fiber of their mortal soul. I guess when you pay $200-300 for a battery there's the assumption it should never need replacing. When it's just a more vibration resistant battery with @4-5 year life.

I've had good luck out of the deep cycle blue/yellow top as winch and boat batteries. Never used a red in a car, starting batteries usually go out and I can't wait a week on a discounted one to show up.

Dad uses 4 blues and 2 reds in his RV. He got my entire discounted allotment that year. Along with a super nice pair of chargers.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Duralast and Deka are made by East Penn, one of the few actual competitors with quality, and the largest family owned manufacturer.

The Optima is weird you got fans, you have people that couldn't care either way then you have people that hate them with every fiber of their mortal soul. I guess when you pay $200-300 for a battery there's the assumption it should never need replacing. When it's just a more vibration resistant battery with @4-5 year life.

I've had good luck out of the deep cycle blue/yellow top as winch and boat batteries. Never used a red in a car, starting batteries usually go out and I can't wait a week on a discounted one to show up.

Dad uses 4 blues and 2 reds in his RV. He got my entire discounted allotment that year. Along with a super nice pair of chargers.
I imagine the Optimas are AGM architecture? They have their place in the market. But as you stated about vibration resistance, it's only better if the application calls for it. A Camry will not see any benefit from an Optima battery. But a Raptor surely could if driven like an idiot.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's 5 people climbing a mountain for 10 miles at 95deg and sunny. Not even wearing proper attire. No problems. These are not vehicle's for snowflakes!
We rode several jeep trails like this in Colorado but at 10,000+ elevation the temperatures were more like 60-70 degrees. Beauty all around.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We rode several jeep trails like this in Colorado but at 10,000+ elevation the temperatures were more like 60-70 degrees. Beauty all around.
The top of this is 9150'. Never been that high on an atv. Didn't notice any power loss or anything goofy.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and sharp
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We rode to the top of Bristol Head peak (elev. 12706 ft.) and we had a lot harder time breathing than our Pioneer did. Lol.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What was this thread about again? You guys are ruining the first 100 or so posts of moan n groan soapbox by posting all the fun rides you are having with your awesome Pioneers.

Let the majority get real and ride on!
20170706 095410

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!