P1000 Glass Windshield - OEM or UTV801?

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am pretty well evenly split between the UTV801 and OEM glass windshields. I'm currently running a SATV flip up and very happy with it but getting ready for hunting season mud, snow and ice in Colorado and I want a windshield wiper and the ability to scrap the frost off the window. How much heat is trapped is a VERY minor issue for me. I've got a spring/summer/fall windshield, and honestly where I am going trapped heat would be welcome.

UTV801 - I like the flip up vents but the frame around the window seems huge and I don't want to block my field of view too much. Don't know how it seals against the OEM roof. About $100 more expensive than OEM

Honda OEM - better field of view, assume it seals better against the roof, but no vents.

They both can take windshield wipers and I am pretty handy with custom work so not a deal breaker there.

Would really appreciate feedback on what windshield you have, what you love, what you hate, and why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
wrote on FB page. I vote for 801. I have OEM. Dont like switching from full to half at all in view of roof and viper kit.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
wrote on FB page. I vote for 801. I have OEM. Don't like switching from full to half at all in view of roof and viper kit.
Saw your reply. I don't mind the switch and am undecided on manual or electric wiper. If I go electric I will wire it up with quick disconnects. I'm really don't have a big need for glass but with a mid November elk hunt it is a guarantee that I'll be frosted up in the morning and will need to scrape it. Mud, snow and dust removal are also going to be an issue. Don't want to be getting out to clean it every 5 minutes and would rather not trash my current SATV flip up.

What I'm really looking for are what people like and don't like between the OEM and UTV801? How are the rattles, do they seal good along the bottom, can I leave my low mount light bar brackets or do they interfere,...? Given the lack of replies here and on FB I will probably roll the dice and get the UTV801 windshield. Unfortunately the market for used parts for Honda in Colorado is pretty slim so a mistake on the buy will probably result in a trip to the trash can.

The greatest frustration I have had adding accessories to these machines is all the fabricators out there that make a great product, but they don't work with other products. I've got a whole box of parts that I really want to install, but can't since something else is in the way.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pm me if u want to talk, I'll call. I'm staying predominantly with Honda and add compatible accessories
Saw your reply. I don't mind the switch and am undecided on manual or electric wiper. If I go electric I will wire it up with quick disconnects. I'm really don't have a big need for glass but with a mid November elk hunt it is a guarantee that I'll be frosted up in the morning and will need to scrape it. Mud, snow and dust removal are also going to be an issue. Don't want to be getting out to clean it every 5 minutes and would rather not trash my current SATV flip up.

What I'm really looking for are what people like and don't like between the OEM and UTV801? How are the rattles, do they seal good along the bottom, can I leave my low mount light bar brackets or do they interfere,...? Given the lack of replies here and on FB I will probably roll the dice and get the UTV801 windshield. Unfortunately the market for used parts for Honda in Colorado is pretty slim so a mistake on the buy will probably result in a trip to the trash can.

The greatest frustration I have had adding accessories to these machines is all the fabricators out there that make a great product, but they don't work with other products. I've got a whole box of parts that I really want to install, but can't since something else is in the way.

G

GoneFishen

Sep 12, 2021
nevada utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an old 08 Polaris with the 'plastic' windshield. It sucks.
When i ordered my Honda I paid another $100 for the glass one. It might be aftemarket but I'm more than happy with it
Was thinking about the manual wiper setup,

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
bldmtnrider,

I am curious what you ended up getting and if you are satisfied with it. OEM glass or 801 windshield? I am in northern Wyoming and have a P1000 LE with the 1st generation OEM Honda flip up windshield. Would love a glass windshield with vents, but got caught in a snowstorm in October here and snow was coming in everywhere from the top of my existing windshield. Planning to get the newest Generation 2 OEM Honda glass windshield and eventually, hard doors (likely Honda OEM because I like the compatibility of the OEM products). I'm curious if some type of vent could be installed in the metal above or below the glass. Something like a versa vent or similar.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the 801. However the riding conditions here in AZ are much different than what you have in CO. The 801 does not seal against the OEM roof, so you’ll have some fresh air coming over the top. I’ve thought about adding some kind of an air dam between the roof and the top of the windshield but the temperatures here are still getting into the mid 70’s and having the air coming over the top along with the flip out vents is nice. The field of view is fine. I no longer have to try looking through the dust laden bend of the OEM plastic half windscreen. The dust does not collect on the glass windshield and I’ve ridden with it on 100 degree days.

Reactions: Lady01 and Dezrik
B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
I went with the 801. However the riding conditions here in AZ are much different than what you have in CO. The 801 does not seal against the OEM roof, so you’ll have some fresh air coming over the top. I’ve thought about adding some kind of an air dam between the roof and the top of the windshield but the temperatures here are still getting into the mid 70’s and having the air coming over the top along with the flip out vents is nice. The field of view is fine. I no longer have to try looking through the dust laden bend of the OEM plastic half windscreen. The dust does not collect on the glass windshield and I’ve ridden with it on 100 degree days.
Good deal. Thanks! I'm actually in Wyoming, so it gets even colder than Colorado. I am still leaning toward the OEM Honda glass but am now curious if the SuperATV glass windshield seals well at the top and bottom. It is vented. Thanks for the reply.

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am pretty well evenly split between the UTV801 and OEM glass windshields. I'm currently running a SATV flip up and very happy with it but getting ready for hunting season mud, snow and ice in Colorado and I want a windshield wiper and the ability to scrap the frost off the window. How much heat is trapped is a VERY minor issue for me. I've got a spring/summer/fall windshield, and honestly where I am going trapped heat would be welcome.

UTV801 - I like the flip up vents but the frame around the window seems huge and I don't want to block my field of view too much. Don't know how it seals against the OEM roof. About $100 more expensive than OEM

Honda OEM - better field of view, assume it seals better against the roof, but no vents.

They both can take windshield wipers and I am pretty handy with custom work so not a deal breaker there.

Would really appreciate feedback on what windshield you have, what you love, what you hate, and why.
I have the SATV flip up windshield and the only wipers I could find to work were these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G1G1EIE/?tag=sxsweb24-20

They allow you to adjust the sweep range.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
bldmtnrider,

I am curious what you ended up getting and if you are satisfied with it. OEM glass or 801 windshield? I am in northern Wyoming and have a P1000 LE with the 1st generation OEM Honda flip up windshield. Would love a glass windshield with vents, but got caught in a snowstorm in October here and snow was coming in everywhere from the top of my existing windshield. Planning to get the newest Generation 2 OEM Honda glass windshield and eventually, hard doors (likely Honda OEM because I like the compatibility of the OEM products). I'm curious if some type of vent could be installed in the metal above or below the glass. Something like a versa vent or similar.

I ended up going with the OEM. The seal across the top was better and with the dropped wiper hole I am able to get a bigger sweep with the windshield wiper. If I want to vent there is a guy on Facebook that makes a kit to tip out the full windshield. I can tell it will be hot in the summer but I still plan to go back to my SATV windshield when it gets warmer. Just got back from an elk hunt and I will say the dust was incredible but somewhat expected with the powder dirt in western Colorado. Am still debating the hard doors but not ready to pull the trigger there yet. The seal is good with the OEM, but not perfect. Probably snow tight but not water tight. If we could make these things street legal in Colorado I wouldn’t hesitate to throw down for the hard doors and rear enclosure.

advertisement
B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
I ended up going with the OEM. The seal across the top was better and with the dropped wiper hole I am able to get a bigger sweep with the windshield wiper. If I want to vent there is a guy on Facebook that makes a kit to tip out the full windshield. I can tell it will be hot in the summer but I still plan to go back to my SATV windshield when it gets warmer. Just got back from an elk hunt and I will say the dust was incredible but somewhat expected with the powder dirt in western Colorado. Am still debating the hard doors but not ready to pull the trigger there yet. The seal is good with the OEM, but not perfect. Probably snow tight but not water tight. If we could make these things street legal in Colorado I wouldn’t hesitate to throw down for the hard doors and rear enclosure.

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
Okay. Thanks! I’m planning to buy the OEM one this Black Friday. I’ve seen the brackets allowing you to open it. I currently have an OEM split hard coat windshield and I may either swap them out for summer or take the brackets that open it up and transfer it to the glass. Haven’t decided yet. We can make them street legal here in Wyoming and I’ll probably eventually buy the OEM doors but they sure are expensive.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I ended up going with the OEM. The seal across the top was better and with the dropped wiper hole I am able to get a bigger sweep with the windshield wiper. If I want to vent there is a guy on Facebook that makes a kit to tip out the full windshield.
Do you have a link to the guy that makes these kits to tip out the full windshield . Thanks

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada

That’s the only one I am aware of but I saw another guy made one out if his flip out windshield brackets.
Thanks for the info.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!