Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Most wifi only iPads do NOT have GPS chips.

Of the iPads that have a GPS chip, I've read that they aren't as good as the Samsungs.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most wifi only iPads do NOT have GPS chips.

Of the iPads that have a GPS chip, I've read that they aren't as good as the Samsungs.
My first was a Samsung tab a and the gps was terrible in the trees where the iPad mini is excellent. The tab a is a cheap model and that probably is the reason. Just been an apple guy. Android works good too.

Reactions: Backwoods and CID
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I primarily ride in Michigan.
Since you do that, you should consider doing this ride. Dont worry we dont bite. If your intersted read through this and PM me for directions. Some good food is to be had as well. Would
Be a shame to have it go to waist!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My first was a Samsung tab a and the gps was terrible in the trees where the iPad mini is excellent. The tab a is a cheap model and that probably is the reason. Just been an apple guy. Android works good too.
Did you have a Tab A7 or an A7 Lite?

The A7 series units are not as powerful as the S series, but they are significantly less expensive. The A7 is not cheap, per se. OTOH, the A7 Lite series models are the least expensive Samsung tablets.

The A7 models are thier middle tier models and most certainly much better than the Lite models. The A7 10.4" has zero issues serving as my dedicated tablet for GPS and other uses on the P1K5.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you have a Tab A7 or an A7 Lite?

The A7 series units are not as powerful as the S series, but they are significantly less expensive. The A7 is not cheap, per se. OTOH, the A7 Lite series models are the least expensive Samsung tablets.

The A7 models are thier middle tier models and most certainly much better than the Lite models. The A7 10.4" has zero issues serving as my dedicated tablet for GPS and other uses on the P1K5.
Sorry I don’t rember. It was about $120. Entry level to try everything out. Cheap cheap. Tab A is all I remember. Learned on it.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, I just ordered a Tab A7, vvmapping, otterbox case and the UTV roll bar Ram mount. I'll update when I get it all hooked up. Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.
What did that all set you back if u dont mind sharing? Dont worry Im not gonna give you $hit. Just curious and its good info for others that may want to buy the same thing

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Sorry I don’t rember. It was about $120. Entry level to try everything out. Cheap cheap. Tab A is all I remember. Learned on it.
If it was only $120, it was the A7 Lite.

Reactions: CID and Rayger143
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Well, I just ordered a Tab A7, vvmapping, otterbox case and the UTV roll bar Ram mount. I'll update when I get it all hooked up. Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.
You might want to think about doing something like I did to keep the tablet powered all the time while riding:

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a Garmin Zumo 660 motorcycle GPS. It's waterproof and more shock resistant than a non-motorcycle type.
I create my trail routes on Garmin Basecamp (free) on my laptop then download them onto the Zumo. Creating routes can be done on Zumo, but laptop is so much easier.
Also do this for my motorcycles and other vehicles, for both on or off road routes.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My first GPS for motorcycles was a GPS V. When I went to my Zumo 450, I was in heaven. Loved it when I was on 2 wheels.

5seaterbeater

5seaterbeater

Jun 11, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might want to think about doing something like I did to keep the tablet powered all the time while riding:

I may do that in the future. Looking at your pics and I can't tell where you have the Ram mount mounted? Does the clamp go around the Honda stock ROPS clamp or is that a piece of rubber?

Reactions: Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I may do that in the future. Looking at your pics and I can't tell where you have the Ram mount mounted? Does the clamp go around the Honda stock ROPS clamp or is that a piece of rubber?
The mount comes with a hose clamp and a piece of rubber that the hose clamp slips through. It's around the ROPS.

RAM Mounts RAM-B-108BU Strap Hose Clamp Ball Base with B Size 1" Ball for Rails 1" to 2.1" in Diameter

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
On SD card: yes.
Chromebook: I know nothing about.
If you mean create routes: If your Chromebook can talk to the gps, I would think you could create them on it and then transfer them to your GPS. Doing it on the GPS seams like it would be harder but still doable.
If you mean save tracks of your rides: yes you can do that on your Garmin.
Sorry I didn't get back with everyone, I'm camping at Summerville Lake in WV. Beautiful around here. As for the Chromebook, they dont work with Garmin gps that's why I was asking about ordering the maps on a SD card and being able to use it without a windows computer. Thanks for the info, sounds like it could work.

Reactions: Red500
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks. I haven't been anywhere to ride any trails other than around where I live but I plan to do a little when the time comes. I can't justify spending much. I have a GPS that will work and WV maps looked like the way to go for me. I thought it should work with just the SD card because I have Mexico maps years ago on a SD card and I had to do is stick in the GPS, turn on the GPS and maps were there. Thanks.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Reactions: Backwoods
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Overlander screen is 6.95", while my Tab A7 is 10.4". My old eyes like the latter.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Overlander screen is 6.95", while my Tab A7 is 10.4". My old eyes like the latter.
Yeah mine suck too. My experience when your looking at the liftime map program I/U have a Hard time seeing it there POI. I like the Overlander cuz of the Garmin feature. For example, with VV i stalled, it turns its program into Garmin. So when Im at RRB and I save way points like the flame for example. I hit go amd it shows me the different routes to it and guides me like In my truck as well as cookie crumbs If I like plus many other features not just for trail riding with free lifetime updates. When I ride with my buddy @Koda at RRB with his lifetime maps and hes leading to someplace new, we have to stop alot to look to see where we are at alot more often than with my Garmin. @tr005 switched to the overlander for that reason as well.
Thats why i chose the Overlander. Everything plus is in it.
The screen being a touch smaller than some tablets and my eyes shcking yes but its accually larger and color keyed better than u think, and I dont want a lap top screen in my truck pulling my 5er TH Just MO

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!