P1000 Gps and vvmapping

5seaterbeater

5seaterbeater

Jun 11, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking at getting either a tablet or garmin GPS unit to use with vvmapping software. Anyone have a similar setup? Show me where and how you have your GPS units (tab or dedicated gps) mounted. I am leaning more toward a tablet just because it provides more functionality than a dedicated gps unit. Pics and thoughts are appreciated!

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I am looking at getting either a tablet or garmin GPS unit to use with vvmapping software. Anyone have a similar setup? Show me where and how you have your GPS units (tab or dedicated gps) mounted. I am leaning more toward a tablet just because it provides more functionality than a dedicated gps unit. Pics and thoughts are appreciated!
Im using VV and a gps on my p5 I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My Samsung tablet is mounted from the ROPS above my steering wheel using a few RAM mount parts.

I own/have used VVMAPPING with the (free version of) Orux mapping software in the past and on this tablet, but I recently purchased Lifetime Trail Maps.

I run the (paid version of) Agama Car Launcher on the tablet as the 'home' screen. From it, I can launch a variety of apps that I have set up on it, such as my GPS mapping tool (right now, LTM), music, Sirius, my wireless backup camera software, etc.

Details/more pics:

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
iPad + GAIA GPS mounted on the sissy bar with RAM parts. (video screen shot)
I 7j9Sdvf X2

U-bolt -
I 8mjWVWz X2

One end is spring loaded for in 'n out.
I XBQjR5w X2

Rotated for readin' -
I 8xGm36W X2

GAIA keeps a track log of all my rides, a must have IMO. Unlike a dedicated GPS unit who's memory is always filling up and has to be uploaded to a computer if you want a record, but what good is that when you go back in a year and want to ride different tracks in the same area, remember to download the tracks back into the GPS before you leave?

~1500 miles -
I wGzvvgg X2

~700 miles not including trailer miles between campsites -
I 78rrJSB X2

Last edited:
5seaterbeater

5seaterbeater

Jun 11, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Samsung tablet is mounted from the ROPS above my steering wheel using a few RAM mount parts.

I own/have used VVMAPPING with the (free version of) Orux mapping software in the past and on this tablet, but I recently purchased Lifetime Trail Maps.

I run the (paid version of) Agama Car Launcher on the tablet as the 'home' screen. From it, I can launch a variety of apps that I have set up on it, such as my GPS mapping tool (right now, LTM), music, Sirius, my wireless backup camera software, etc.

View attachment 393756

Details/more pics:

Interesting. Why did you switch from vvmapping? I've heard it is the best for trails and routes in Michigan. What makes LTM better?

Reactions: Scoop and Remington
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I realize your talking about in a p1k and this is in a P5 but here is a pic.
KIMG2323

Or 2
KIMG2321

As far as vv maps compared to a tablet with lifetime trail maps installed: depending on where you ride I believe life time would have more trails mapped out. As far as Gps vs tablet depending on the size of the gps screen (and the age of the eyes looking at it) a tablet would probably be easier to see. VV maps does offer auto routeing (tho I haven't really tested it) and I don't believe Lifetime does.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I us vv in my Garmin Overlander.
The Overlander is an android tablet with Garmin in it. VV works very well in it, it tracks and using way points is easy. It has very strong magnet and hook up to the back. It also is waterproof. It utilizes the Ram mount system. I easily move it from my P1 to My Talon. My P1 is at my cabin so i cant get u a pic of it. But I can get one of my Talon. Its basically mounted in the same place. I also use it for when Im pulling my TH on the Garmin end. When u put your rig and demotions in it will keep u out of places you shouldn't be going. Ive had it about 3 yrs now.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a tablet loaded with Orux and Ram mount that I’d let go to a new home. I got it from a member here. I used it one day. It worked but I always follow someone else on the group rides so I don’t really need it.

5seaterbeater

5seaterbeater

Jun 11, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I us vv in my Garmin Overlander.
The Overlander is an android tablet with Garmin in it. VV works very well in it, it tracks and using way points is easy. It has very strong magnet and hook up to the back. It also is waterproof. It utilizes the Ram mount system. I easily move it from my P1 to My Talon. My P1 is at my cabin so i cant get u a pic of it. But I can get one of my Talon. Its basically mounted in the same place. I also use it for when Im pulling my TH on the Garmin end. When u put your rig and demotions in it will keep u out of places you shouldn't be going. Ive had it about 3 yrs now.
Nice but a little rich for my blood.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I have a tablet loaded with Orux and Ram mount that I’d let go to a new home. I got it from a member here. I used it one day. It worked but I always follow someone else on the group rides so I don’t really need it.
I'm usually following someone else as well, that's why I haven't learned my GPS as well as I should. VVMaps does have royal blue, windrock, brimstone, and that area coverd pretty good. Also a lot of other areas. I think they started out covering a lot of snowmobile trails so they have the Midwest covered better, but I think lifetime has more, at least from what I understand. Of course lifetime is a heck of a lot more expensive. I bought my GPS used for 60 bucks and have spent maybe another 100 for a battery, mount, and software so I'm way cheaper than lifetime would have cost.
Edited to add: lifetime does get updated fairly regularly so there is that.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@5seaterbeater I know u dont want to buy once cry once lol.
But I did promise you a pic pf my GPS and how its mounted. Heres my POIDH
IMG 6604

Last edited:
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got a question about the WV mapping. I can get it on a SD card, correct? Reason is, I only run Chromebooks now that I'm retarded and don't want another windows PC. Can I map out trips and everything on my Garmin?

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I got a question about the WV mapping. I can get it on a SD card, correct? Reason is, I only run Chromebooks now that I'm retarded and don't want another windows PC. Can I map out trips and everything on my Garmin?
On SD card: yes.
Chromebook: I know nothing about.
If you mean create routes: If your Chromebook can talk to the gps, I would think you could create them on it and then transfer them to your GPS. Doing it on the GPS seams like it would be harder but still doable.
If you mean save tracks of your rides: yes you can do that on your Garmin.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a big fan of Gaia with an iPad mini. You can get free version to try and will sync across any device by creating an account. I upgraded my account for more layers and downloads. I can ride all day and have a look at it on my mac after I head in. Gaia has great detail for my area but maybe not everywhere. Even if you just try it on your phone for free first to check it out. Just an app. On my laptop I just go to website and sign in. I know @CID uses gaia. 1 note is if you go with iPad mini make sure it’s a cell model or else it wont have gps. All iPads have gps. Oh ya, RAM mounts all the way!

IMG 7802
IMG 7801

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!