Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah mine suck too. My experience when your looking at the liftime map program I/U have a Hard time seeing it there POI. I like the Overlander cuz of the Garmin feature. For example, with VV i stalled, it turns its program into Garmin. So when Im at RRB and I save way points like the flame for example. I hit go amd it shows me the different routes to it and guides me like In my truck as well as cookie crumbs If I like plus many other features not just for trail riding with free lifetime updates. When I ride with my buddy @Koda at RRB with his lifetime maps and hes leading to someplace new, we have to stop alot to look to see where we are at alot more often than with my Garmin. @tr005 switched to the overlander for that reason as well.
Thats why i chose the Overlander. Everything plus is in it.
The screen being a touch smaller than some tablets and my eyes shcking yes but its accually larger and color keyed better than u think, and I dont want a lap top screen in my truck pulling my 5er TH Just MO
Have you used the auto routing much. How well does it work for you. I've tried it a couple of times (mostly west of 75) with limited success

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Have you used the auto routing much. How well does it work for you. I've tried it a couple of times (mostly west of 75) with limited success
Do u mean when when your off track and it auto routs/corrects? Or when u want to go someplace to start auto routs? Ive done both on that side of 75 with great success . I would suggest making sure your software/fimware is up to date on a regular basis. Could have a glitch. After all it is Android base 🤷‍♂️

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Do u mean when when your off track and it auto routs/corrects? Or when u want to go someplace to start auto routs? Ive done both on that side of 75 with great success . I would suggest making sure your software/fimware is up to date on a regular basis. Could have a glitch. After all it is Android base 🤷‍♂️
Mine is an older Garmin 610 so no android. I've got several maps of that area on it along with the VVMaps and that maybe part of my problem. I really haven't tried it but a few times so maybe I just need more practice with it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah mine suck too. My experience when your looking at the liftime map program I/U have a Hard time seeing it there POI. I like the Overlander cuz of the Garmin feature. For example, with VV i stalled, it turns its program into Garmin. So when Im at RRB and I save way points like the flame for example. I hit go amd it shows me the different routes to it and guides me like In my truck as well as cookie crumbs If I like plus many other features not just for trail riding with free lifetime updates. When I ride with my buddy @Koda at RRB with his lifetime maps and hes leading to someplace new, we have to stop alot to look to see where we are at alot more often than with my Garmin. @tr005 switched to the overlander for that reason as well.
Thats why i chose the Overlander. Everything plus is in it.
The screen being a touch smaller than some tablets and my eyes shcking yes but its accually larger and color keyed better than u think, and I dont want a lap top screen in my truck pulling my 5er TH Just MO
That's the one thing I miss about VVmapping is marking the way points. I had a Garmin Montana with VV, eyes got old and went to a tablet. Jeremy didn't have the software and was still working on it at the time so I went with an LTM, an Activ 7 or something preloaded with their maps. I admittedly don't know sh!t about this kind of stuff. Can I add VV to it without wiping out the LTM?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I bought the LTM software and installed it on my own Android tablet. I didn't buy my hardware from LTM. I've got about 6 different GPS mapping programs, including LTM and Orux w/vvmapping on it. They coexist just fine.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Just watched and read some reviews on the Overlander. I was a solid Garmin guy for lots of years and hated phones/tablets w/software.

The reviews are definitely mixed, but seem to lean slightly negative. It's also 3+ years old and not much has been changed/improved. A new one is $681 on Amazon. Can't believe the Overlander, directed at off-roaders, isn't waterproof!

Even though they still sell the Overlander, it seems the Tread is successor to the Overlander? Garmin wants to force you into buying features you don't need. The 5.5" screen is too small. The 10" is too big and targets Jeep guys. The powersports version is 8", but you can't get it without the cheesey proprietary mic/comms that, I assume, only work with other Tread owners. That unit is $,1400 MSRP!

I've always had a love/hate relationship with dedicated GPS devices over the past 25+ years. Garmin hits it out of the park with some model lines, drops the ball completely with others, and everything else is just middle of the road.

5seaterbeater

5seaterbeater

Jun 11, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice.
But I have to give u some $hit now so dont get mad 🤣 You did say the Overlander was a bit too steep.
Whats an extra $100 from $500 😂

Garmin Overlander, Rugged Multipurpose Navigator for Off-Grid Guidance (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C6M8BZY?tag=sxsweb24-20
We're talking $500 total for everything lol. Tablet, mounts, maps, and case. For less than the Garmin unit alone.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We're talking $500 total for everything lol. Tablet, mounts, maps, and case. For less than the Garmin unit alone.
the overlander comes with the ram mount with magnet hook up. All u need is the ball for your utv cage.

Personally i dont GAF what ya’ll buy 🤣 The thread was about what GPS and this is is what Ive had 3 yrs with tons of off and on road miles on it. If there was a good apple version of something id have it. I hate android. All my software at work and tablets is android and its allways an issue.

isn't waterproof!
Mines been soaked quite a few times and still works great so dont know what to tell u there 🤣

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
That's the one thing I miss about VVmapping is marking the way points. I had a Garmin Montana with VV, eyes got old and went to a tablet. Jeremy didn't have the software and was still working on it at the time so I went with an LTM, an Activ 7 or something preloaded with their maps. I admittedly don't know sh!t about this kind of stuff. Can I add VV to it without wiping out the LTM?
That's my biggest problem with my Montana, seeing it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Personally i dont GAF what ya’ll buy 🤣 The thread was about what GPS and this is is what Ive had 3 yrs with tons of off and on road miles on it. If there was a good apple version of something id have it. I hate android. All my software at work and tablets is android and its allways an issue.

If you already have an iPad, download the free version of GAIA GPS. I was a dedicated Garmin user for 20 years and then I discovered GAIA (thanks to this site 😍). I'd never go back to a dedicated GPS because of its limited track storage capability and small screen size. Examples in post #4 of this thread.

I have GAIA GPS (note that there is a GAIA which is unrelated) loaded in my iPad, Windows desktop and android phone, all are linked and all show my track logs once I've logged in from anywhere (or anyone's computer).

Desktop screenshot of all my travels over the last 2-1/2 years I've been using it.

Zoomed in for a bit more detail of my closest riding. Utah on the left, Kalirado on the right.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you already have an iPad ...
Unless something has changed recently, the only iPads with a dedicated GPS chip are the celluar+WiFi versions. If your iPad is the WiFi only version, it will do you no good when you do not have a celluar signal. That's why a good number of GPS software developers do not have a IoS port of their software. Some do, yes, but many do not.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Personally i dont GAF what ya’ll buy 🤣
No need to get all defensive, brother. Nobody is dogging your choice of the Overlander. We're just explaining why we think it's not a good choice for us. I was a big Garmin fan for many years, but their recent products don't fit my needs as well as other solutions do.

'Murica - because we all have the freedom to choose!

Mines been soaked quite a few times and still works great so dont know what to tell u there 🤣

I can appreciate that. My VHF/UHF radio has been wet and even sprayed with the powerwasher. I've been lucky thus far, but it's mounted in my cab at the top of the ROPS. If I accidentally drop something that's not waterproof into the pond, lake, stream, whatever, odds are pretty good that it's not going to survive very well.

"You pays your money, and you takes your choice", right? :)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No need to get all defensive, brother. Nobody is dogging your choice of the Overlander. We're just explaining why we think it's not a good choice for us. I was a big Garmin fan for many years, but their recent products don't fit my needs as well as other solutions do.

'Murica - because we all have the freedom to choose!

I can appreciate that. My VHF/UHF radio has been wet and even sprayed with the powerwasher. I've been lucky thus far, but it's mounted in my cab at the top of the ROPS. If I accidentally drop something that's not waterproof into the pond, lake, stream, whatever, odds are pretty good that it's not going to survive very well.

"You pays your money, and you takes your choice", right? :)
Sorry I was busy when I posted all that. Was scrambling for food at lunch, busy as Fuc in Gaylord today wha!! Then Trying to get back to the cabin, clean up and head back this evening cuz the wife has to work tomorrow :rolleyes: dam UofM polices. Just got home btw.
I was in a fired up mood. I should have held up a bit.

Anyway, I know what you guys were saying. I was just pointing out that its served me well over the Old style Garmin’s that we all use to use and love/hated them. Ive had it actually since 19’ they were very new, when we first went to Colorado and rode the alpine loop then to the black hills had it at Hatfield McCoy, RRB a 1/2 dozen times, Drummond island and many places in the UP. Its 10times better than the old Garmin’s by far. The free firmware/software updates they constantly have do help bunches with stuff that didnt get fixed in the past. But to each his own. Whatever floats everyones boat as they say.
I know the trails around my cabin I never look at it hardly any more there lol.

One thing thats a plus for me with it, is that the wife can figure it out when she takes the Talon out for a spin. Thats sayin something. She gets lost in our driveway with any other gps or map 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: NTCPrezJB and CID
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
^ Thanks, @Remington. I'll check it out this weekend ... :)

Reactions: Remington
5seaterbeater

5seaterbeater

Jun 11, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might want to think about doing something like I did to keep the tablet powered all the time while riding:

How did you power the USB? I have the accessory fuse box installed and I see they sell pigtails for the fuse box in the store. If I went that route it would require a switch correct? Should I just go straight to the battery?

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The USB3 outlet has its own switch built into the front of it (touch switch, LED lights up to tell you it's on, touch again, power goes off and LED goes out) but yes just run it to your fuse box (key-on power or key-on power + Aux/Key-on switch already, right?).

[2 Pack] 12V USB Outlet QC3.0 Dual USB Car Charger Socket with Touch Switch, Waterproof 12V/24V Quick Charge Power Outlet with Wire/Fuse for Car Boat Marine Truck Bus RV ATV Golf Cart

I bought this for the mount (replaced the 12V socket with one of the above USB3 outlets), but later installed the 12V socket itself on the dash (next to the OTHER USB3 outlet, which I had mounted in the dash), so nothing was wasted:

Attwood 11862-6 Universal 12V Cigarette Lighter Adapter Socket Outlet for Marine/RV with Mounting Kit, Black

The USB3 outlet for the tablet, I powered with key-on power. The one on the dash, I went straight to the battery (inline fuse) so I could charge my phone without everything else being on. Again, it lights up to indicate it is powered, so easy to see of you need to turn it off.

USB3 outlet is available in various colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
5seaterbeater

5seaterbeater

Jun 11, 2023
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Samsung tablet is mounted from the ROPS above my steering wheel using a few RAM mount parts.

I own/have used VVMAPPING with the (free version of) Orux mapping software in the past and on this tablet, but I recently purchased Lifetime Trail Maps.

I run the (paid version of) Agama Car Launcher on the tablet as the 'home' screen. From it, I can launch a variety of apps that I have set up on it, such as my GPS mapping tool (right now, LTM), music, Sirius, my wireless backup camera software, etc.

View attachment 393756

Details/more pics:

How does the car launcher work? I was going to pay for an app that allows use of android auto on the tablet. Does Agama allow split screen of apps? Like can you use maps and a music app split screen or can you see both on the same screen similar to android auto?

Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Agama is what most refer to as a "launcher". It is generally used as the "home screen" on car stereo head units, but since it's Android based, it runs on anything that runs Android.

Think of it as an interface to launch various programs on your tablet from without having to go through menus and icons to find them.

I have Agama to launch as soon as I start my tablet.

It's fully customizable, from the color, layout, etc., to what apps you want to be able to launch.

While I have not tried it yet, you CAN run two apps split screen (and adjust the width of the split screens).

Here's a video made by someone who uses it on his tablet for his SXS. I don't hold it against him that it's a KRX ... :D He does show the split screen feature:

• Wow
Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!