P1000m5 Gps selection

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
I am just curious what everyone uses for a gps in the pioneer. I am currently using a Garmin nuvi made for a car but am worried it will get wet. Been throwing around the idea of a different Garmin but cannot seem to find one with a large screen and still rugged 426c63f7818e00ad849c9c041e1ec3ba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am just curious what everyone uses for a gps in the pioneer. I am currently using a Garmin nuvi made for a car but am worried it will get wet. Been throwing around the idea of a different Garmin but cannot seem to find one with a large screen and still ruggedView attachment 58534

I've been planing, down loading an gps app on my phone

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am just curious what everyone uses for a gps in the pioneer. I am currently using a Garmin nuvi made for a car but am worried it will get wet. Been throwing around the idea of a different Garmin but cannot seem to find one with a large screen and still ruggedView attachment 58534

Zumo series is rugged/waterproof I had a 550 but screen was too small. I have a drive60 I picked up for $80, I’ll have it behind a windshield at the Takeover so it should be alright.

Reactions: Smitty335
Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Zumo series is rugged/waterproof I had a 550 but screen was too small. I have a drive60 I picked up for $80, I’ll have it behind a windshield at the Takeover so it should be alright.

Iv been looking at those. Were you happy with it?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yup, love Garmin
Took my jet drive trout boat to Florida several years ago, rented a house in the mango groves, talked the owner into taking us out to the Gulf, and mapped it on a Garmin, we had a blast! Ran across all the grass flats WFO and never got stuck!

advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the app? Work on iPhone?

there are a couple of apps that work on Iphones.
  • Maplets - basically this where someone has uploaded a map and your location is shown on that map. Accuracy can vary based on who created the original but I have a few places I ride that it is pretty accurate.
  • MotionX-GPS - works well you can down load terrain maps of the area incase you can not get cell service while out there. This is a you map your route or get a route from other people and load it in to follow.
  • Avenza Maps - I have not sued but have.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I use a Garmin Gpsmap 78SC. It's a handheld that is tough, waterproof and has survived 5 years of abuse. I've had it in -30C to summer heat. Its been immersed in kayak rolls and shaken relentlssly on my P5. I have a RAM cradle that has never failed. I have a map card for it that is an aftermarket thing. I generally plot tracks on Google Earth before exploring new areas. I'd bet most of the Garmin handhelds perform as well. I have a cradle for my cell phone as well but cells are fragile at best. The Garmin has gotten me out of afew pickles. I don't leave home without it.
Al

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003I86PIM/?tag=sxsweb24-20

DarthM

DarthM

Sep 22, 2017
Phoenix
Low tech doesn't break but i need a bread-crumb trail.
I like these too. That said, the Forrest service maps (which were purchased this year) consistently have missing info. A trail, complete with physical marker, not on the map. A trail that exists on the map, but can’t be found out in the real world. Happens a lot. Makes me wonder how old the information is that was used to create the maps.

Reactions: AlR
J

Johnsee

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've been planing, down loading an gps app on my phone
smartphone is the obvious choice. you can now buy a s7 edge for under $400. There is no reason to buy a cheap gps device if you spend $20k on a toy. The new backcountry navigator app that is in development may rival google earth with multiple layers such as topo , mvums(motor vehicle use map layers), etc. long distance backcountry motorcycling is my thing, so i always look for multi- purpose. At 64, i see 4 wheels in my future.

Last edited:
FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Newer Garmin GPSMap 276Cx. It’s amazing.
And I’ve Downloaded Polaris RideCommand for my iPhone.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
smartphone is the obvious choice. you can now buy a s7 edge for under $400. There is no reason to buy a cheap gps device if you spend $20k on a toy. The new backcountry navigator app that is in development may rival google earth with multiple layers such as topo , mvums(motor vehicle use map layers), etc. long distance backcountry motorcycling is my thing, so i always look for multi- purpose. At 64, i see 4 wheels in my future.
You will like four wheels and a bed to haul beverages, food and other stuff!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!