Groundhog Max Disc Plow

BDI01

BDI01

Feb 24, 2015
Has anyone used the groundhog max disc plow with the P5? I am thinking about buying one. The plow gets really good reviews, but I think I will have to get an adapter to fit the p5 hitch. The plow comes with hook ups for 1.5" and 2" receievers, but not 1.25". The manufacturer keeps referencing a "heavy duty" receiver. I hope the My P5' is up to the task. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
BDI01

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I seen it break a lot of SxS and atv hitches. It happened on one pioneer 700. Broke the hitch off its frame. I would only use one if the ground was super soft and already plowed once by a tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I can see where that could be VERY hard on the hitch with the way it is designed. A normal plow is pulled so the force is outward not upward. When that hits something (like a large rock, root, etc) I would think it would put a LOT of twisting force on the hitch - if you had any speed it could break or bend something easily. With tractors when you catch a root/rock it is amazing how quickly a 6000lb+ machine will come to a dead stop. I personally would look for a tow behind style.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
There is a lot of kinds out there i have used a small 4' pull behind harrow. Modify the hitch to use a 2' ball. Pulled it with my jeep. I think a pioneer could do it too. This one was really heavy tho. Good luck hope you find something let us know what you do.

BDI01

BDI01

Feb 24, 2015
Thanks for all the advice, I will probably end up with a pull behind type.

pilsbury38

pilsbury38

Oct 12, 2014
I just got a ground hog max , without reading any of this I went out backed up on the ramps and put it in the receiver.........sure enough 3rd lap broke my receiver to. So I went and welded it then went back out.......after being a little more cautious of what I was doing I realized even on the highest setting the disc was to far in the ground . I then went and got a receiver adapter to raise it up a couple inches and I couldn't be happier. I think the biggest problem is the Pioneer hitches are to low to the ground which puts way to much pressure on the hitch. Just my 2 cents......

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I used this disc. Had cement blocks on top for extra weight, and a railroad tie chained to the back. Ran it for hours like this, no problems. It hooks up with a 2" ball. It pulled hard too. Had to run 4wd the whole time pulling, and occasionally would spin out all 4 tires.
Disc

Reactions: lee
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I used this disc. Had cement blocks on top for extra weight, and a railroad tie chained to the back. Ran it for hours like this, no problems. It hooks up with a 2" ball. It pulled hard too. Had to run 4wd the whole time pulling, and occasionally would spin out all 4 tires.View attachment 15734
Yeah, but that was before you had good shoes!!!

Reactions: ehart814
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
There is a lot of kinds out there i have used a small 4' pull behind harrow. Modify the hitch to use a 2' ball. Pulled it with my jeep. I think a pioneer could do it too. This one was really heavy tho. Good luck hope you find something let us know what you do.
I have a drag harrow from Tractor Supply. Only 4' wide but can be flipped around to dig deep, shallow or just grade. Cinder blocks will make it dig. P5 handles it easy just have to make more passes.

Reactions: ehart814

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!