P1000 Gun Storage

L

Longbeard

Dec 26, 2017
South Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bit the bullet in October and bought the 2017 model P1000-3. The trouble I’m having is settling on a suitable method for gun storage. I’ve steered away from open air storage (upright and overhead racks) primarily because of dust buildup while driving and I’ve tried to avoid a mount that mounts behind the headrest so that rear vision isn’t impeded and so I can still use the dump bed.

I’m curious to see whether anybody uses the Kolpin gun boots and if so, where they’re mounted. Pics would be great.

Reactions: sharp
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bit the bullet in October and bought the 2017 model P1000-3. The trouble I’m having is settling on a suitable method for gun storage. I’ve steered away from open air storage (upright and overhead racks) primarily because of dust buildup while driving and I’ve tried to avoid a mount that mounts behind the headrest so that rear vision isn’t impeded and so I can still use the dump bed.

I’m curious to see whether anybody uses the Kolpin gun boots and if so, where they’re mounted. Pics would be great.
I use a koplin gun boot on my 2003 foreman mounted on the right side of the rear rack. It works great in that application.

I use an overhead open rack in my p1k-5, but could you mount a gun boot on top of your rops if it weren't too inconvenient to access?

Reactions: sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've used an overhead rack, which I like but I was just given for Christmas a Seizmik, UTV on seat, 2 gun holder that seems like it is going to be really sweet.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built a front rack that works well for what I need. It uses the front rollcage bolts. Being up front avoids the dust vortex that envelops the back and it works with or without cases. No safety from mud or rain if you're in a nasty environment. SATV Windshield still tips out fine.

Couple pieces of thin (maybe 14ga?) steel for the arms and some 3/4" thin-wall tubing for the cross bar. Longer rollcage bolts. The gun mount is a Rugged Gear 10200 ATV Mount Double Hook Gun Rack.

20171228 181725m

20171228 181734m

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here in Colorado, guns can only be transported on a Utv inside of an enclosed case. You can't even have the top off of a Kolpin case. So it makes transporting them a challenge. I just used a Kolpin case and layed it in the bed this year. Depending on what accessories you have, it can be a challenge coming up with a good option.

Reactions: JTW
lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't think we have that restriction in La (but I've been surprised before!). How does that work on private property like a sporting clays course? Are you expected to button them up in between each station?

OP - I saw a pic where someone mounted a Kolpin in the cab bolted to the floor. Not sure if they had to add reinforcement or not.

1170120 1

Reactions: Rincon and JTW
EricG

EricG

Lifetime Member
Jul 19, 2017
North East PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kolpin Ratcheting ATV Rhino Grip | Kolpin | Kolpin

Going to mount one of these to the dash to hold mine upright with the stock on the floor. I have a custom switch panel from mystic and I'm going to fasten this to that panel. But you said you don't want it open. A soft case in the bed or one of those soft sock covers for the gun would help with dust.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't think we have that restriction in La (but I've been surprised before!). How does that work on private property like a sporting clays course? Are you expected to button them up in between each station?

OP - I saw a pic where someone mounted a Kolpin in the cab bolted to the floor. Not sure if they had to add reinforcement or not.

View attachment 60746
It's a restriction for hunting only. Doesn't effect any other activities. But it does include private property when hunting.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here in Colorado, guns can only be transported on a Utv inside of an enclosed case. You can't even have the top off of a Kolpin case. So it makes transporting them a challenge. I just used a Kolpin case and layed it in the bed this year. Depending on what accessories you have, it can be a challenge coming up with a good option.
Do you mean that OFF ROAD (in the woods), it must be enclosed in case if in a vehicle?

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now that I think about it, Louisiana has a similar restriction on WMA's, but I always thought it was more about unloaded vs. loaded (a safety guide) transport.

Made me go look up the reg -

"Firearms having live ammunition in the chamber, magazine, cylinder or clip when attached to firearms or crossbows cocked and in the ready position are not allowed in or on vehicles, boats under power, motorcycles, ATVs/UTVs, ATCs or in camping areas on WMAs"

"Encased or broken down firearms and any game harvested may be transported through the areas by the most direct route provided that no other route exists EXCEPT as specified under WMA listing."

I see people on ATV's/UTV's regularly with guns in a rack and no case on WMA's. Wonder if the wardens aren't' enforcing or are letting them go if unloaded and calling that "broken down" for a semi-auto? I put mine in a floating soft case and throw it on the rack; was doing it more for protection and ease of transport, but good to know I'm compliant.

Rincon

Rincon

Jul 27, 2017
Yuba City, North California.State Of Jefferson
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 60746

My brother has this mounted in his, takes up the middle seat, but works perfect!

P

Pioneer1K5

Oct 2, 2017
Fort Loramie Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built a front rack that works well for what I need. It uses the front rollcage bolts. Being up front avoids the dust vortex that envelops the back and it works with or without cases. No safety from mud or rain if you're in a nasty environment. SATV Windshield still tips out fine.

Couple pieces of thin (maybe 14ga?) steel for the arms and some 3/4" thin-wall tubing for the cross bar. Longer rollcage bolts. The gun mount is a Rugged Gear 10200 ATV Mount Double Hook Gun Rack.

View attachment 60723
View attachment 60724

Don't your rifles get covered in Mud sl=platter just like the hood?
Thanks

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't your rifles get covered in Mud sl=platter just like the hood?
Thanks

Sort of; I carry them to and from the duck blind in a gun sleeve/soft case, so the sleeve/case can get muddy depending on conditions. No protection from mud or rain if you're in a nasty environment.

The front rack solves the dust problem in dry conditions, keeps the bed open for other gear and game, and works great between stations at sporting clays.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Sort of; I carry them to and from the duck blind in a gun sleeve/soft case, so the sleeve/case can get muddy depending on conditions. No protection from mud or rain if you're in a nasty environment.

The front rack solves the dust problem in dry conditions, keeps the bed open for other gear and game, and works great between stations at sporting clays.
No reason a person couldn’t modify your setup just a bit and add a pelican case there if they needed greater protection.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I seen a guy with a RZR and had this mounted to a custom rack across his hood. The Best BOW mount I have ever seen! He said that it worked great for his rifle also.

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Gripp-9253-Universal-ATV-Mount/dp/B00IIZUPOA?tag=sxsweb24-20
41GOwVOcLyL

That's pretty slick.

No reason a person couldn’t modify your setup just a bit and add a pelican case there if they needed greater protection.
Yep, maybe using that Gator Gripp or throwing it in a big 'ol basket like the StrongMade
Sm

Last edited:
Reactions: Rincon
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I mounted mine overhead, I know you said you didn't want to put your's there, it was the only decent choice for me. My rig doesn't dust much since installing the hard rear panel, it also has a windshield. I do carry my rifles with a neoprene scope cover..
IMG 1572

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!