Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
View attachment 237919
View attachment 237920
Today's work in progress. FRS/GMRS Channels all reach out 3+ miles clearly, from home on today's testing.
FYI, the Honda roll bar mount does not play well with the Super ATV Flip out windshield.
Won't open - work in progress.

I originally used a windshield clamp for my mic "hook" in that same spot and had to move it when I put the Honda glass shield on, no clearance for the clamp. Ended up drilling the roof some more for a mag mic

20201127 210826 20201127 210839

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I originally used a windshield clamp for my mic "hook" in that same spot and had to move it when I put the Honda glass shield on, no clearance for the clamp. Ended up drilling the roof some more for a mag mic
Thanks for posting the pictures! If the GMRS works out, my sons P1000k is getting an install. We were thinking about going the high mount on the roll cage direction with his install. Gotta say, P1000ks are the hardest machines to find accomaditing install points.

Reactions: Biteme and Mudder
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 237954 View attachment 237955

I have 2 ideas I'm working on to fix my windshield issue. Both to pull the back of the radio away a few inches and still use the ROPS clamp. More to come.

Reactions: Biteme
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

View attachment 237954 View attachment 237955

I tell everyone I can about the Magnetic Mic setups. I use them on my truck HAM rig (Kenwood TM-D710G) and my SxS rig. They are expensive (even at my dealer pricing) but they are a really slick solution for microphones. No looking, just get the mic close to the base unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for posting the pictures! If the GMRS works out, my sons P1000k is getting an install. We were thinking about going the high mount on the roll cage direction
I have 2 ideas I'm working on to fix my windshield issue. Both to pull the back of the radio away a few inches and still use the ROPS clamp. More to come.

If you have the Honda plastic roof, it's super easy to drill, and only two small holes to through-bolt the radio. If you're worried about the bolt leaking, put some rubber washers on the top, or silicone around the bolts. The roof already has a ton of holes in it for the rops mounts.

I tell everyone I can about the Magnetic Mic setups. I use them on my truck HAM rig (Kenwood TM-D710G) and my SxS rig. They are expensive (even at my dealer pricing) but they are a really slick solution for microphones. No looking, just get the mic close to the base unit.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, expensive for what it is, but a quality product, worth it imo.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured out an adjustable Garage fix to my radio mount without drilling holes anywhere.
Now the Super ATV windshield opens and closes properly with no bind on the cables.
It now is 90 adjustable, solid and comes off with the Honda ROPS Clamp. I'll paint or bedliner coat it when it warms up. I can also go topless and leave the radio in the buggy.
I'm happy with it.
20201128 123238

20201128 131041

20201128 132520

Last edited:
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have the Honda plastic roof, it's super easy to drill, and only two small holes to through-bolt the radio. If you're worried about the bolt leaking, put some rubber
LOL......you obviously have not met my son. ;):rolleyes::eek: No one is drilling holes in his roof. If the tranny locked up it would be somehow be related to the "that hole in the roof that I drilled." Me, already got more than a few in mine.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey,
If you guys - girls are thinking about getting in on a 2 way radio system for your side by side, I'd highly recommend you work with Sam (Elkaholic) at
off-roadcomms.com
He's a great guy and patient with those of us unfamiliar with 2 way radios. He offers quality equipment at reasonable prices, understands the technology, great communication and is also a club vendor.
I highly recommend Offroad Communications Home

Take advantage of their' Ciber Monday sale.

Jim

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey,
If you guys - girls are thinking about getting in on a 2 way radio system for your side by side, I'd highly recommend you work with Sam (Elkaholic) at
off-roadcomms.com
He's a great guy and patient with those of us unfamiliar with 2 way radios. He offers quality equipment at reasonable prices, understands the technology, great communication and is also a club vendor.
I highly recommend Offroad Communications Home

Take advantage of their' Ciber Monday sale.

Jim
Thank you for he kind words Jim. I try to accommodate folks’ needs as best I can.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like the FCC finally caught up with Rugged

FCC takes action against marketing of unauthorized transceivers
On November 24 FCC Enforcement Bureau (EB) issued a citation and order concerning the illegal marketing of unauthorized radio frequency devices

The citation says:

This CITATION AND ORDER (Citation), notifies Rugged Race Products, Inc. d/b/a
Rugged Radios (Rugged Radios or Company) that it unlawfully marketed six models of radio frequency devices that (a) operated outside the scope of their respective equipment authorization, or without any equipment authorization; (b) permitted any operator to program and transmit on new frequencies using the device’s external operation controls; and (c) lacked the appropriate labeling. Specifically, Rugged Radios marketed models RH5R-V2, RM25R, RM25R-WP, RM50R, RM60-V, and RM100 in violation of section 302(b) of the Communications Act, as amended (Act), and sections 2.803(b), 2.925(a)(1), 80.203(a), 90.203(a), 90.203(e), 95.361(a), and 95.391 of the Commission’s rules.

Read the Citation and Order at
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-20-1395A1.pdf

Source FCC Enforcement Bureau
Enforcement

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

On November 24 FCC Enforcement Bureau (EB) issued a citation and order concerning the illegal marketing of unauthorized radio frequency devices

The citation says:

Rugged Radios (Rugged Radios or Company) that it unlawfully marketed six models of radio frequency devices that (a) operated outside the scope of their respective equipment authorization, or without any equipment authorization; (b) permitted any operator to program and transmit on new frequencies using the device’s external operation controls; and (c) lacked the appropriate labeling. Specifically, Rugged Radios marketed models RH5R-V2, RM25R, RM25R-WP, RM50R, RM60-V, and RM100 in violation of section 302(b) of the Communications Act, as amended (Act), and sections 2.803(b), 2.925(a)(1), 80.203(a), 90.203(a), 90.203(e), 95.361(a), and 95.391 of the Commission’s rules.

Enforcement

I am surprised something like this did not happen before

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The citation says:

Enforcement
The RM25r radio that they got in trouble for is their rebranded version of the TH8600 radio ... that is only one of the 6 they were sited for

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some of the info Rugged gave unknowing customers was pretty jaw dropping. They do have a disclamer on their site saying that their VHFmust be licensed and is for work/business purposes only. Its pretty small print. RT programming has a you tube programming tutorial out for RR that suggests that marine VHF is fair game because, hey your out in the desert. :eek:Guess they never heard of the farmers in Kansas that had the FCC show up, rip the marine mobiles out of their trucks and combines, and fine the crap out of them. .GOV has a pretty big hammer for this stuff if, and when they get around to using it. At this point it's a commercial license for work/business for VHF, License for GMRS family (no busness traffic allowed) and amateur bands. Oh well.

Last edited:
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some of the info Rugged gave unknowing customers was pretty jaw dropping. They do have a disclamer on their site saying that their VHFmust be licensed and is for work/business purposes only. Its pretty small print. RT programming has a you tube programming tutorial out for RR that suggests that marine VHF is fair game because, hey your out in the desert. :eek:Guess they never heard of the farmers in Kansas that had the FCC show up, rip the marine mobiles out of their trucks and combines, and fine the crap out of them. .GOV has a pretty big hammer for this stuff if, and when they get around ro using it. At this point it's a commercial license for work/business for VHF, License for GMRS family (no busness traffic allowed) and amateur bands. Oh well.
Hey guys,, you got 6 months to study up and get your ham radio Tech license. Its not that hard, and there are tons of things on youtube to help. Do it and you will be glad you did. 73's KI5IJQ

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We're going to give the GMRS route the 'ol college try, even tho we are amature licensed. The only traffic I hear on local amature VHF bands is pirate stuff. Hunters, some local family/ranch chit chat. Even after giving out programmed Baofengs to friends and family for Xmas a few years back, there is zero interest in licensing :(. GMRS doesn't play well in our area so we are experimenting with a 5/8 wave length hi gain antenna and a fabricated add on ground plane mount (it has provisions for adding radials) on another test bed UTV. Weather proof TYT 8600 amature band, and Rugged GMR25 ( type 95 approved) will be used to talk legally on both bands with two requisite licenses. The car getting the install is open, hence the TYT8600 based platform....not my first choice. The TYT8600 will get it's own 1/2wave ngp VHF antenna. We are making a neoprene cover boot for the 6100 intercom for inclement weather. Some mock up pictures. The dash mount got bead blasted and painted yesterday. If we get good results,
20201128 145726 1
20201130 152000
we will start the GMRS program with the family pioneers. Sigh...want to guess who gets to do the installs?

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We're going to give the GMRS route the 'ol college try, even tho we are amature licensed. The only traffic I hear on local amature VHF bands is pirate stuff. Hunters, some local family/ranch chit chat. Even after giving out programmed Baofengs to friends and family for Xmas a few years back, there is zero interest in licensing :(. GMRS doesn't play well in our area so we are experimenting with a 5/8 wave length hi gain antenna and a fabricated add on ground plane mount (it has provisions for adding radials) on another test bed UTV. Weather proof TYT 8600 amature band, and Rugged GMR25 ( type 95 approved) will be used to talk legally on both bands with two requisite licenses. The car getting the install is open, hence the TYT8600 based platform....not my first choice. The TYT8600 will get it's own 1/2wave ngp VHF antenna. We are making a neoprene cover boot for the 6100 intercom for inclement weather. Some mock up pictures. The dash mount got bead blasted and painted yesterday. If we get good results, View attachment 238713View attachment 238714we will start the GMRS program with the family pioneers. Sigh...want to guess who gets to do the installs?

That's a nice clean looking install/setup.
I'm curious why you have two of the same model radio since it is already dual band and covers everything including GMRS?

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are photos of a Chameleon 2M/70CM clamp on 1/4 wave vertical antenna with a single radial as the ground plane.

Ant1

Ant2

Initial testing with an ICOM 705, 5 watts, 2M USB was positive. Hams might want to consider installing a metal roof instead of a plastic roof on their UTV! Just saying.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!