P500 Harsh Ride

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 isn't broken in yet but after a number of hours riding the ditches, I find the ride pretty rough. It came with the springs on the second softest. Does it smooth out after a while? This is my first time with a sxs after many years of quading. If you have back issues, (herniated disc) this isn't for you. At least on a quad you can stand a bit to use your legs to absorb impact. Any thoughts?

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Give
My 2017 isn't broken in yet but after a number of hours riding the ditches, I find the ride pretty rough. It came with the springs on the second softest. Does it smooth out after a while? This is my first time with a sxs after many years of quading. If you have back issues, (herniated disc) this isn't for you. At least on a quad you can stand a bit to use your legs to absorb impact. Any thoughts?
Give it some more time, you will get used to it.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Ya, the Pioneer 500's are not known for a plush ride. And you've got the '17 with the new shocks/springs that ride better than the '15-'16.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It also helps to take the rear stabilizer bar off.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Lower the tires PSI,I have 30" tall tires but I like to run them at around 7psi to reduce harshness.

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'd lower the shock setting to the lowest notch Do you have stock tires? If so, I'd try lowering the pressure a little maybe, and see what you can get away with. Also, I'd probably not upgrade the tires to something after market. Most anything you go to, will probably ride rougher. One tire upgrade that might help could maybe be to find a set of Honda Foreman take offs, which would give an 1" taller, and a little more sidewall cushion. Last resort, I've seen other members doing shock upgrades.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Along with everything mentioned above, you only have 5.9" of travel, very limited with speed being your enemy. I have a 2015 P500 so I understand your delimma. Riding slow is your only true option or get a P1K that has a far better ride at double the speeds a P500 can even attempt.

Reactions: JTW
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
So you don't like riding a kitchen chair over rocks ? They ride ruff thats all there is to it . Removing sway bar and as low as tire pressure as will work for you is all you can do .
Or switch machines .
I don't think you can make a p5 ride smooth .

Reactions: JTW
advertisement
J

JTW

Along with everything mentioned above, you only have 5.9" of travel, very limited with speed being your enemy. I have a 2015 P500 so I understand your delimma. Riding slow is your only true option or get a P1K that has a far better ride at double the speeds a P500 can even attempt.
There's the answer!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Set shocks to softest setting, remove sway bar, get some 26" radial tires and run at 5-7 psi. That is about as good as you can get without upgrading the shocks, which could require some light metal work on the frame as there are no direct fit aftermarket shocks. ...or just ride slower lol.

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I use it for trail puttering, hunting and giving grandkids a ride. I'm pretty much a "stock" type till I need to change things. I did retry it with the lowest shock setting and it helped a bit. Didn't think of lowering the tire pressure. Probably just need to put some miles on it. It's all new to me...as is this great forum.
Does anyone have the Honda Wind Deflector? Does it help/worth buying?

C

Chooglin

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I use it for trail puttering, hunting and giving grandkids a ride. I'm pretty much a "stock" type till I need to change things. I did retry it with the lowest shock setting and it helped a bit. Didn't think of lowering the tire pressure. Probably just need to put some miles on it. It's all new to me...as is this great forum.
Does anyone have the Honda Wind Deflector? Does it help/worth buying?
The Honda wind deflector (half winshield ) is worthless IMO , it needs to be about 3"taller.
Superatv has a nice one !

Reactions: Moose308 and rocmar
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What are the downsides to taking off the rear stabilizer?
Like @sthomp54 said,l think the ride improved greatly, some say it will tip easier also on steep grades. It the best thing I did to improve the ride.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The Honda wind deflector (half winshield ) is worthless IMO , it needs to be about 3"taller.
Superatv has a nice one !

I like the Honda wind deflector and think it works as intended. Just like the sliver of shield that we've had on snowmobiles forever, not there to keep you warm and dry, creates a different jet stream to cut through the wind. I've never experienced that vortex issue that others have had in the cab.
With a full shield, you lose the ability to reach through and move branches, just have to plow through and scratch that shield? Might clean some of the mud off though, with no wiper? I never have to stop because I can't see.
A long cold ride would be the only occasion that a full shield would have the advantage, IMO.

Reactions: iowaguy and Rustell
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I like the Honda wind deflector and think it works as intended. Just like the sliver of shield that we've had on snowmobiles forever, not there to keep you warm and dry, creates a different jet stream to cut through the wind. I've never experienced that vortex issue that others have had in the cab.
With a full shield, you lose the ability to reach through and move branches, just have to plow through and scratch that shield? Might clean some of the mud off though, with no wiper? I never have to stop because I can't see.
A long cold ride would be the only occasion that a full shield would have the advantage,
dust...cold...tree branches...all are deflected
with full windshield. ..been riding the wind....long time
...nice to be shielded
your in the elements. ..your p5
gonna get...banged...scratched. ..etc
....Ride it...like ya stole it

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
So you don't like riding a kitchen chair over rocks ? They ride ruff thats all there is to it . Removing sway bar and as low as tire pressure as will work for you is all you can do .
Or switch machines .
I don't think you can make a p5 ride smooth .
Spacers...help...smooth out the ride

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!