Hatfield mccoy

P

PalmettoFarmer

Aug 3, 2020
Providence, SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wife surpised me for my birthday and heading up there Saturday for my first time. Staying in Matewan, just me and the wife. Should be a big change from my usual flat South Carolina lowcountry swamp and dirt road rides. I`ve searched and read pretty much every post on here about the area, but I still want to ask.

Any suggestions on trails to ride, things to bring, sights to see, pro tips, etc. Never ridden the mountains on a sxs. Planning on taking it slow and just cruising. My truck will be in town and has a pretty extensive tool set, but hoping I won't to need it.

Should we pack a lunch or come back into town to eat? Should i take enough gas or are the gas stations easy to get to

Wife likes to sleep in, I dont. Thought about fly fishing the tug fork in the mornings until she gets up. Matewan house will have out breakfast ready from 8 to 10. Weather looking great for riding and fishing.

Thanks for any input

P

PalmettoFarmer

Aug 3, 2020
Providence, SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Meant to mention. Definitely going to to take a simple tool set with the basics, 12v air compressor, tire plug set, jump box, and I'll have my winch and straps

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Sorry I can't be of any help I've never been. Definitely on my list of places to ride at. Take lots of pics and track some POIs to report back to us. Always nice to read up on those types of places.

Good luck 👍

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hate to see ppl riding alone. You need to find someone to tag along with you.
I would definitely pack lunch.
A full tank sounds like it will last you all day.
As far as tools... Make sure you pack metric. 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19. Other basics.
You need to download an app on your phone to track you on the trail so you can find your way back.
Wish you luck.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gas stations are everywhere, I would carry a spare and some tools. We take food to eat lunch on the trail. dinner in town. keep a paper map, phone service goes in and out and pay attention lol the switch backs on devil Anse and rock house are on a cliff. if u have any problems just remember your in west by God virginia someone will always stop to help.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since we share the same bday does that mean I get to go too? 😁 I was up there in April. Just stay off the black trails since you will be alone. Starters in Williamson is a good place for lunch if you don't pack it. Williamson has more options for food and gas than Matewan.

Also try to make it to the Devil Anse ATV resort on the Devil Anse trail. They have a nice little shop if you want to buy some shirts and stuff. The tunnel on Devil Anse is a letdown but the trails are good.

I know it's about a hour drive to trailer to Bearwallow from Matewan but I enjoyed those trails the most when I was there. They were the smoothest riding and nobody was there. Logan has a good steakhouse for lunch if you end up that way.

Have fun and be safe.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me and my Dad have stayed at the Matewan BnB several times!

You can run right across the little bridge into Kentucky for gas before you take off for the day- maybe 100 yards up the road. You would have to ride realllllyyyyy hard to run through a tank of gas in a day up there. If you are just cruising that should be all you need, but as others have said- there's lots of gas around.

In Matewan you are sitting right between a couple of trail systems. From where you are its a pretty easy 3 or so hours right over to Williamson. We like to start the day in Matewan, ride over to a place called "Starters" in Williamson for lunch, gas up and try to find a little different way home. That trip will take you through the Buffalo Mountain trail system as well. All of that trip is pretty mild- mostly natural gas roads- very wide and reasonable. The worst part is getting up on the mountain (some decent climbs there). It will feel a little wild if you are used to flat ground, but you're 1000-5 (even if its all stock) will have no problem. They are billy-goats!

The other direction you have Man- there's a place there called "Firepit Pizza" that's really good. Typically if we are there for two full days, we'll head that direction one day too. I will tell you though, that's a bit of a haul. Probably a 100+ mile round trip. You can cut some sections out (ride the road) to save time, but know that will be an all-day-affair if you want to make it all the way up.

Even if you aren't going all the way to Man, there's some fun trails over towards Rockhouse. Also a cemetery and a tunnel that runs under one of the highways that are kind of neat. You'll definitely want to pick up a couple of trail maps- the trails are very well marked and the maps are great. Trail 35 going back into Matewan is our favorite on the Devil Anse system- its marked blue but really wide and easy. Just a nice shaded, typically wet area. Worth checking out on one of your trips back!

Like the others have said- something to fix a flat would be good to have with you. My experience is that you would have to be doing something really goofy to need tools on these trails, but better safe than sorry I suppose. We carry a tire plug kit, compressor, first aide kit and some drinks/snacks and that's done us just fine for the last 5 years or so of going down.

Me and my father will actually be down there Thurs-Sunday this weekend, but unfortunately my Pioneer is staying at home as pops just got a KRX and we waited too late to figure out how we were gonna get them both on our 20ft car trailer (tight fit and Mr. Safety couldnt be appeased 🤣). If you see some combination of a Blue KRX/White XR 400/White Foreman 500 flag us down and say hi!

Dordon

Dordon

May 24, 2021
Eastern Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grab a map at the welcome center in Matewan. it will have the trails marked in color green=easier blue=a little harder etc
it will show places to see. Its a fun ride and people will help if you need it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!