P500 Header wrap to reduce underseat heat?

T

Treesniper

May 20, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Anybody ever wrap the exhaust on a P5 to reduce underseat heat? If so what were the results?

20210424 121853

Last edited:
Reactions: J80 and Jerryg
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Under seat heat was solved yrs ago, helps with noise and dust too. :cool:

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Wrapping the pipe is not a good idea . Could cause it to overheat and split . Use heat/sound deaden er . Contact Trigger

T

Treesniper

May 20, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Wrapping the pipe is not a good idea . Could cause it to overheat and split . Use heat/sound deaden er . Contact Trigger
The material in the picture is exhaust heat wrap with stainless Zip ties made for high temperature pipes.

Reactions: happyfred
happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Getting rid of the CAT would be the best option.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The material in the picture is exhaust heat wrap with stainless Zip ties made for high temperature pipes.

He's not talking about your wrap splitting, he's referring to the pipe itself. The wrapping won't allow the heat to dissipate the way it's intended and causes the pipe to overheat. Read where someone tried it on a 700 and that was the result.

Reactions: Mudwing and Mudder
happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
If the CAT is removed will it affect performance/running of the p5? Asking for a friend

No. Save weight and reduce heat. It's part of the exhaust pipe. Removal would require cutting and welding.
I've looked at modifying my exhaust .There is a lot of bends.
Decided too much work.
A new exhaust pipe is $400 plus. It'd be easiest to buy a new pipe, modify it and install.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
No. Save weight and reduce heat. It's part of the exhaust pipe. Removal would require cutting and welding.
Decided too much work.
A new exhaust pipe is $400 plus. It'd be easiest to buy a new pipe, modify it and install.
I'm guessing the lack of a cat will cause the o2 sensor to spaz out? Any workaround for this?

happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
I'm guessing the lack of a cat will cause the o2 sensor to spaz out? Any workaround for this?

Nope. The O2 sensor is before the CAT and and monitors unburned oxygen. It then sends this signal to the ECU of which adjusts fuel ratio.
The CAT converts exhaust gases in to EPA approved gases.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Decided too much work.

It's been done before.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Man header wrap sucks. That's the best way to rot out an exhaust pipe as it traps dirt and water. If you want a pipe to be cooler go have it ceramic dipped. Will cut the heat down by half or more.

Reactions: Mudder
happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
It's been done before.

Too much work but it sounds a lot better!
I may give it a go some winter. I'll buy a new Honda pipe and modify it.I have MC mufflers laying around and have used PC Vs and AutoTunes on my bikes quite successfully. 20% plus improvement on one..Excellent products....just need the motivation..

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!