P500 Heat Question

D

Deltaokra

Nov 26, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I am a fairly new 15 P500 owner. I bought it slightly used a few months ago with 400 miles and my only regret is waiting so long to finally buy one. Today coming out of the woods from hunting, I noticed a lot of heat coming up from where the 2 seat belt buckles are. I only had about a mile drive out of the woods and was just coasting along and wasn't running it wide open or anything. No issues, but it just seemed strange for that much heat for such a short ride. Is this common?

Reactions: Jshell3
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
normal, the engine is right behind the seat and the exhaust makes its turn essentially under the seat. All SXS's do this with the can am commanders with the engine between the seats cooking your legs in the summer.

Reactions: Jshell3
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I am a fairly new 15 P500 owner. I bought it slightly used a few months ago with 400 miles and my only regret is waiting so long to finally buy one. Today coming out of the woods from hunting, I noticed a lot of heat coming up from where the 2 seat belt buckles are. I only had about a mile drive out of the woods and was just coasting along and wasn't running it wide open or anything. No issues, but it just seemed strange for that much heat for such a short ride. Is this common?
Easy to cure if it bothers you but I would wait until it warms up before you cut of your heater .

J

Jshell3

Welcome to the Club!

Heat is a common complaint for P500 esp at the seat belts.
A lot of members choose to go this route or similar <-- click link.
  • It doesn't soak up water
  • Easy to install.
  • Very good sound insulator (noise dampening)
  • Looks clean and professional
Hers a pic of mine (removed seat belts) and one from @HUCK
IMG 3589
IMG 3590

Go Fighting Okra!
Delta State!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deltaokra and JTW
J

JTW

I ended up using 1/4" rubber stall mat from rural king and did exactly like Jshell3..

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I installed similar but over the highway truck tarp material, mine attaches to the rear cab wall (I made), to assist in keeping dust and snow out. Also bought a 3" 12v boat (engine) compartment inline exhaust fan and some 3" aluminum flex tubing. I routed the flex tubing to blow the hot air (coming off the head), toward the rear driver's side basically the hot air follows stock exhaust. I pull cool air right from under my seat, so basically I'm just blowing cooler air onto the head and exhaust header right at the bend, which routes the hot air out from under the seat. Also lined under seat belt area with aluminum reflective tape. Inexpensive solution that works well, the notion I had was to reverse the fan in cold weather but have not changed direction on the fan yet. It works great for keeping steam from puddles out too.

I have pix in my link.

Cheers,

j

Last edited:
Reactions: FuzzyGrub
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Last year at the RRB take over that heat saved my ass. I couldnt come out hot enough. The night ride was awesome but the temps were in the high 20s.
In the summer thought its a PITA. But with the windshield removed its no so bad

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Cool idea using a I/O engine compartment exhaust fan. Now you just have a way to selectively duct it to the inside for winter heat. :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Cool idea using a I/O engine compartment exhaust fan. Now you just have a way to selectively duct it to the inside for winter heat. :)
I just ran a piece of duct from the tailpipe to a register in the seat front for winter heat. :cool:

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
This winter, with the back panel, I noticed once the heat starts coming from the seatbelt area, and going slow, get some windshield fogging.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!