help gear and motor oil

B

bl7004

Aug 19, 2014
I know this is all over but when should I change gear lube and what works best also I live in tn what engine weight oil should I use I'm wanting synthetic thinking Lucas 10 30

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
the front and rear diffs should be serviced every 2 years unless you run in extreme conditions. The flavor of engine oil is your choice and the lucas 10w30 is a good choice just make sure it is atv oil rated at jaso specs not to be a smart butt but there is no such thing as weight with oil a quart of 10w30 weighs the same as a quart of 10w40 etc its just slang words that people have called it for years the W in oil stands for winter not weight

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya, Would not consider TN a cold weather state. Unless you up in the mountains. I would stick to 10w30 or 40 for engine oil.
As for the gear box oil. Some change it with 1st service. some do not. Honda says it does not need it but I changed mine to a 90w trying to reduce the noisy. Helped some.

bigC. I knew about the W=Winter but still have always called it weight.

B

bl7004

Aug 19, 2014
Thanks guys yes i have always said weight and the owners does also but you are correct. I didn't think they was gonna short me any weight on 30 over 40 lol

C

cajunrunner

Oct 9, 2014
For anyone out there that has a Pioneer 700 and is looking to use any of the Royal Purple synthetic oils in your next oil change here is a bit of information I wanted to share.

I use my honda pioneer down South (Louisiana & Texas). I hunt the hill country and haul heavy loads. I wanted to upgrade to an oil that would reduce engine operating temps and provide better overall protection and even improve perforamce. After reading many discussions and seeing oil/bearing wear comparisons I narrowed my choice down to RP oils both the Max Cycle and HPS in 10w-30 or 10w-40. My concern with the HPS formula was would it be wet clutch safe. The owners manual cleary states use an oil that is rated MA or MA2 as as such the HPS stuff is not rated MA or MA2 but seems to really offer much more protection. I reached out to RP's techincal division and spoke to two individuals separately (over kill perhaps). Both stated the royal purple HPS would be just fine to run in the Pioneer and should not cause any wet clutch probelms. I plan on moving forward with using the HPS formula because it has higher levels of zinc and phosphorus (anti-wear additives) as well as synerlec. I can afford $12.80 a quart and just knowing its some of the best oil out there gives me piece of mind. Check out the video of this stuff.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/prod ... ralbranded

B

bl7004

Aug 19, 2014
I'm not a big rp fan in for stokes its a decent car oil but from a few test iv seen it didn't fair so well aimsoil or Mobil 1 4t in my opinion is top notch I went with mobile 1 jus because of availability. Red line is also decent oil

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!