P700 Oil consumption

M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
No smoke and no leaks--have you run a compression check on it?

After being serviced, does it run correctly?

When changing the air filters, did you ever notice the "clean side" of the airbox being dusty?

Have you checked all clamps and connections between the air filter and the motor?

Ever see any metal or anything unusual in the oil?

Anything unusual regarding the fuel you use?

It is a real mystery given 1) how meticulously you have maintained it, and 2) it is a Honda. Please report back when you find the cause.
If I ever do.....

I

IanS

Apr 11, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Checking this and other forums, this issue is out there a fair amount. I’m experiencing the same with my 2020 P700. This spring I started noticing oil consumption around 3500 - 4000 miles. Always changed oil / filter according to schedule with GN4. Same with air filter. No leaks, no smoke, no sign of water or debris in airbox, no odor, and runs great. I do have some soot in exhaust if you stick your finger in there as others have said. I think if I allowed the oil to drop low enough, it would be a full quart low by next oil change.

M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Checking this and other forums, this issue is out there a fair amount. I’m experiencing the same with my 2020 P700. This spring I started noticing oil consumption around 3500 - 4000 miles. Always changed oil / filter according to schedule with GN4. Same with air filter. No leaks, no smoke, no sign of water or debris in airbox, no odor, and runs great. I do have some soot in exhaust if you stick your finger in there as others have said. I think if I allowed the oil to drop low enough, it would be a full quart low by next oil change.
Exactly the same here. I can tell when it's low. It is sluggish to shift. Top it off and it goes like a bat out of hell. When I had the dealer change the rear rotor last May they didn't top it off after pulling the shaft. When I got it home it didn't want to move. It was over a quart low. Ironically that is when it all started. I changed the oil about 50 miles or so before I brought it to them. After I topped it off I started monitoring real close. When I was down again is when I called the dealer and was told they all do it. Every one of them needs a top end re-done at 4000 miles.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Exactly the same here. I can tell when it's low. It is sluggish to shift. Top it off and it goes like a bat out of hell. When I had the dealer change the rear rotor last May they didn't top it off after pulling the shaft. When I got it home it didn't want to move. It was over a quart low. Ironically that is when it all started. I changed the oil about 50 miles or so before I brought it to them. After I topped it off I started monitoring real close. When I was down again is when I called the dealer and was told they all do it. Every one of them needs a top end re-done at 4000 miles.
Well...my 1st 700 had just under 9000 miles on it when I sold it, and it has no significant oil usage. Certainly no more than it did when new. That said, the newer ones like my 2020 certainly run hotter than the 2014 models. It has always used a tiny bit, but nothing like your talking about.

And I'll say it again: I DO NOT like the air filter oil honda is using these days.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!