educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Good morning all,
After every lengthy ride, I typically do a machine check on my ATV's and UTV's. I just go through and inspect bolts, and all that fun stuff. When checking this time, I came across something that didn't look quite right. I will put a couple of pictures below. What you will be looking at is where the front drive shaft goes into the motor. There is a rubber "o" ring that split and there appears to be a little oil strewn about. Any ideas of what this may be? (Besides a good indication that I should buy a shop manual)

Thanks in advance.

IMG 20180530 194303788 IMG 20180530 194240433

C

Chooglin

It looks to me like the seal went bad and needs replaced !

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I second @Chooglin, definitely a seal leaking.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Thank you both for your quick responses. Is that a dealer issue or is that something easy to manage. This is where my lack of technical knowledge comes in.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you both for your quick responses. Is that a dealer issue or is that something easy to manage. This is where my lack of technical knowledge comes in.
Should be easily accomplished at home with basic tools depending on your ability.
I haven't looked thru my 500 service manual, so I don't know how involved it truly is. But basic metric hand tools and a seal driving set should be all you need.

C

Chooglin

Should be easily accomplished at home with basic tools depending on your ability.
I haven't looked thru my 500 service manual, so I don't know how involved it truly is. But basic metric hand tools and a seal driving set should be all you need.
Agree with what he said ^^^^

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Is the O ring broken?

An alternate world view might be that the O ring on the stub of the final driven shaft was damaged at some point.
(OK, it was damaged during assembly at the factory)
The O ring seals grease in side the coupler - the round smooth thing that is larger than the front drive shaft.
When the grease heats up it drops in viscosity and comes out, slinging around and looking like an oil leak.

In this wold view you want to repack the crown spline inside the coupler before it wears and bad things happen.
I was going to say before it makes noise but I'm guessing a p500 makes all sorts of racket in that alternate world view as well so you may not notice.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Well... After reading through the comments and realizing I had very little free time, I took the P500 to my local dealer. It's been a week and 1 day and I still don't have it back. I called on Wednesday afternoon and they said there was a faulty seal and bad U Joint. So I'm anxiously waiting as my skids and now WE shocks sit on my work bench ready to be installed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chooglin
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I got the P500 back today and finally got an explanation as to what the issue and holdup was. The O ring that broke and slid out was from the engine side of the output shaft. They said there was a significant amount of tear down to get at the O ring but upon inspection, there was no other damage as it was found in time. Splines and all that looked good.
They also said they hadn't seen this before on the P500 and had to get Honda involved to Okay the warranty work. (Assuming that this was a part of the delay). So, all that pre ride and post ride inspection stuff that my friends make fun of me for saved my butt this time.

Cause:. Honda felt that the O Ring may have been compromised on the factory install.

Now, just need to get some garage time to get the WE shocks and SSS skids installed.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Is the O ring broken?

An alternate world view might be that the O ring on the stub of the final driven shaft was damaged at some point.
(OK, it was damaged during assembly at the factory)
The O ring seals grease in side the coupler - the round smooth thing that is larger than the front drive shaft.
When the grease heats up it drops in viscosity and comes out, slinging around and looking like an oil leak.

In this wold view you want to repack the crown spline inside the coupler before it wears and bad things happen.
I was going to say before it makes noise but I'm guessing a p500 makes all sorts of racket in that alternate world view as well so you may not notice.
Looks like you were right on. If I would have continued to ride it, I would have had many more issues described above. Thanks for your insight...

Reactions: lee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!