BOX1

Help me plan a Colorado or Utah trip.

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish to plan a trip with my 6 and 8 year old sons. Something interesting they could remember. I will use my 1000-5. I will be driving from NY. Easy to moderate trails ,keep it safe for the boys. I want to stay in hotels and try to keep the trips cost reasonable. In 2017 I went Mule Deer Hunting in the White River National forest and rode my ATV and had great time.
Could anyone offer me some advise. My stay timesframe would be about 5/7 days and wouldn't
3CB5184E 4248 4004 BF24 15FB664BB992
mind trying multiple trail systems.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Colorado is a big state..... I don’t know much about what you ride in the east..... but I think the main difference I see in Colorado is that it is not necessarily a trail system as much as a four wheel road system that was developed by mining interests and narrow gauge railroads....
are you camping or looking for place to stay.??
lake city is a good jumping off point with lots of loops and areas of interest....
I don’t know which to recommend but there are several good books of the 4x4 system.....
good luck

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Plenty of good trail to chose from. Here are two with pics From Meeker and Crested Butte. Lake City, Ouray, Silverton area has many good ones. Pagosa Springs has a nice trail area also. Just do a little research and pick an area In the mountains and you won’t go wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 100Acre and TimG
G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Do to your travel distance I would recommend Colorado. Since you suggested staying in motels or like lodging, my first recommendation would be to find accommodations in or near Buena Vista, Colorado. Taylor Park as suggested is also awesome but very crowded. Lake City is also awesome but I have only done the tourist thing there. With boys that young, I figure you have to make it during summer break. I haven't been in that area in near 20 years but recently discuss the quality of the riding with a friend. The area east of BV is first rate for what you want. Many of the OHV trails are dedicated to 50" wide and single track for motorcycles. However there are plenty of miles for jeeps and UTVs.

To start your search go to www.staythetrail.org/foundation then www.cohvco.org Once you get through all of that, feel free to ask me anything. If I don't know the truth, I'll make it up :^) Seriously, I'll ask around although I am not well connected in that world. I'd be good for general information.

My favorite place to go is the Red Desert in Wyoming. The Mormon Trail passes right through this area. On a map find Lander, WY. Where I like to go is south of Lander. Look for Atlantic City and South Pass. I think there may be some simple lodging suitable for father and 2 sons. There is a burger joint there also. As I write this, since my Sporting Clays season will be on hold, I may have to head that way myself.

I am going in for shoulder surgery day after tomorrow and my right arm will be useless for a couple months. So with questions, you might have standby for a call.

s/f Steve

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Plenty of good trail to chose from. Here are two with pics From Meeker and Crested Butte. Lake City, Ouray, Silverton area has many good ones. Pagosa Springs has a nice trail area also. Just do a little research and pick an area In the mountains and you won’t go wrong.

My mom is from Meeker! I haven't been there in over 55 years.

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you stay in Silverton or Lake City you can ride directly from your motel or cabin. Google “Colorado Alpine Loop” if you stay in Ouray or Teluride you will need to trailer out of town however there are more and nicer places to stay. You can’t go wrong in any of these towns.

Last time I was in Buena Vista there was a good choice of lodging but again you will need to trailer out of town, another choices in the area would be the Taylor Park Trading Post, ride from your cabin, nice little restaurant and fuel but not much else at night.

Reactions: TimG
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I wish to plan a trip with my 6 and 8 year old sons. Something interesting they could remember. I will use my 1000-5. I will be driving from NY. Easy to moderate trails ,keep it safe for the boys. I want to stay in hotels and try to keep the trips cost reasonable. In 2017 I went Mule Deer Hunting in the White River National forest and rode my ATV and had great time.
Could anyone offer me some advise. My stay timesframe would be about 5/7 days and wouldn'tView attachment 268711 mind trying multiple trail systems.
Central Utah

From our club ride there in 2018....

Reactions: TimG
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Taylor Park Colorado, from our 2019 group ride. Tons of information in the links within the below thread.

Reactions: TimG and CID
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lake City is a nice town to stay in but the main trails between there and Silverton start 20 miles up the trail loops either way. Silverton is a great base as you can ride right out of town into the trail system. Ouray is nice, but you'll have to trailer to anything. There are however, several great trails up Yankee Boy Basin, one being Imogene which will take you over nearly to Telluride.

Reactions: TimG and Sjc3081
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most of the recommendations have been on the west side of CO and South West at that. From NY i speculate that Moab isnt any further. Moab has a lot of great options. If you only have 5-7 days I'd say hit the front range of colorado and you'll gain an extra day or 2 of riding instead of driving. Woodland park, divide, deckers, Lake george, idaho springs, estes, red feathers.... all great areas to ride and easy to find hotel options along the way.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My mom is from Meeker! I haven't been there in over 55 years.
Meeker Colorado Bees make the best honey anywhere hands down! I cannot say enough good things about the Alpine loop out of Lake City. Wether you go in either direction, both are filled with fantastic splendor filled vistas, amazing wildlife and awesome mining history! Check out Engineer pass and cinnamon pass. Easy roads with some off shoot trails to other mines. Odom Point. Animas Forks, Golconda mine.....check road conditions before you go and bring warm clothes! The forum family was there in 2019 in September which was perfect! The Twin Lakes region near Buena vista rocks and @SouthParkColorado might know more!

59366B26 2ED7 46A6 A637 B41FCFF3E994 9FE2967E F6DA 4603 AAE1 638CDDA4296F D75999F7 09C4 4CD4 8AF7 BD888F99DF90 28C84684 2BEF 4E2D A2CA E642AA4F873F

Reactions: Sjc3081
ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Cuoutdoors would you please elaborate on some of the trials on the front range, I have driven though those areas many times but I never explored the back county trails. Any information on trails would be appreciated?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!