P1000 Help!! Wiring switch panel and voltmeters

J

JTW

I did not put a high amprage relay in series with my fuse/relay panel. I just used a key on source to feed the switchs that controll the relays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
That's what I was intending to do.. my switch lights would power from the Honda accessory.. but the relay box would always be hot so I could play the radio or run a work light on the auxiliary battery without having the key on.

Reactions: joeymt33
J

JTW

I do. But I'd leave breaker directly off battery and connect heavy draw items that you may not run through the bussmann. If only planning the winch that could go to batt. instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only real heavy draw is the winch that's directly hooked to battery 2... the next heaviest draw is the 300watt light bar and it will be ran off the bussman on a relay. The next is the sound bar at less than 15 amps... I'll use a bussman relay since they're there. Anything else will just be minimal... less than 5 amps.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The only real heavy draw is the winch that's directly hooked to battery 2... the next heaviest draw is the 300watt light bar and it will be ran off the bussman on a relay. The next is the sound bar at less than 15 amps... I'll use a bussman relay since they're there. Anything else will just be minimal... less than 5 amps.

Then you're probably good without.
I did puke a circuit on my Bussmann my lightbar was suppose to be 300 watt and I hooked it up and occasionally blew 30a fuses I finally put 40a in and smoked that circuit. Pissed me off. I now think it's 380, not positive but apparently you can't run much over 300.

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

Then you're probably good without.
I did puke a circuit on my Bussmann my lightbar was suppose to be 300 watt and I hooked it up and occasionally blew 30a fuses I finally put 40a in and smoked that circuit. Pissed me off. I now think it's 380, not positive but apparently you can't run much over 300.

I checked the draw with an amp clamp when it first came in. It was right at 25 amps. I will say the breaker has been super handy cutting the power while working on things.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I checked the draw with an amp clamp when it first came in. It was right at 25 amps. I will say the breaker has been super handy cutting the power while working on things.

Ya like the breaker for that! Gave up big fuses immediately after using one

Reactions: JTW
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Ya like the breaker for that! Gave up big fuses immediately after using one

You basic setup is almost the same as mine - looks great. :cool:
Except I have the solenoid after the beaker.
I'm changing my main power switch for the solenoid to a DPDT - Off / Key-on Power / Always on.
So from the drivers seat I can switch off all custom wiring - that's handy for troubleshooting and in case of failure. I'll probably leave it on the middle setting most of the time so everything goes hot when I turn the key. Top position is for running stuff with the engine off.

The only thing that the Honda battery powers in my set up is the voltmeter. Theres no way around that. Even the LEDs in the switches and relay coils are powered from the second battery.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last edited:
advertisement
J

JTW

Yep, those are really a great investment. Spades won't keep the moisture out even with dielectric and heat shrink.
But all your switches are already spade.. I'm just not sure it makes much difference. I think it might be easier to just replace a corroded spade every 10 years.

J

JTW

You basic setup is almost the same as mine - looks great. :cool:
Except I have the solenoid after the beaker.
I'm changing my main power switch for the solenoid to a DPDT - Off / Key-on Power / Always on.
So from the drivers seat I can switch off all custom wiring - that's handy for troubleshooting and in case of failure. I'll probably leave it on the middle setting most of the time so everything goes hot when I turn the key. Top position is for running stuff with the engine off.

The only thing that the Honda battery powers in my set up is the voltmeter. Theres no way around that. Even the LEDs in the switches and relay coils are powered from the second battery.
So if your switches are powered by the second battery you have to manually switch them on to get power to the switch lights? I'm thinking I want them on the keyed accessory power but I dunno.

Reactions: ghost
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if your switches are powered by the second battery you have to manually switch them on to get power to the switch lights? I'm thinking I want them on the keyed accessory power but I dunno.

Sounds like he can pick via a switch.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He has a DPDT switch where the common is the output and the inputs are fed from a constant source and from the ign switched source and he chooses which one powers the relay that turns his accessory power on.

Reactions: JTW and ghost
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He has a DPDT switch where the common is the output and the inputs are fed from a constant source and from the ign switched source and he chooses which one powers the relay that turns his accessory power on.

Wish I'd thought of that but I'm def going to copy it.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Yeah - thats it. I think.
I have a mater switch that controls everything. It triggers the solenoid which feeds the Bussman.
The DPDT switch can be:
- Off...or
- Key-on power triggers the solenoid... or
- Second battery triggers solenoid (via 5 amp fuse)

So I forgot - the middle position of the switch will also draw some current from the Honda battery when the key is on. Its not just the volt meter.

The only thing thats different is the winch that pulls directly from the second battery. The power to trigger the winch comes from the bussman - so also from the second battery. Im just kinda anal about isolating everything from factory.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I can have all my lights on and accessories running. Turn the key off and everything is off. That's great most of the time but sometimes I want to run stuff without turning the key - so I put the switch in the top position and everything comes on again.

J

JTW

Yeah - thats it. I think.
I have a mater switch that controls everything. It triggers the solenoid which feeds the Bussman.
The DPDT switch can be:
- Off...or
- Key-on power triggers the solenoid... or
- Second battery triggers solenoid (via 5 amp fuse)

So I forgot - the middle position of the switch will also draw some current from the Honda battery when the key is on. Its not just the volt meter.

The only thing thats different is the winch that pulls directly from the second battery. The power to trigger the winch comes from the bussman - so also from the second battery. Im just kinda anal about isolating everything from factory.
Well that's where I'm at.. waiting on my solenoid and power switch to come in... need to run the rest of my jumper wires and then hook everything up. I'm open to better ways of running things!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!