skidooby

skidooby

Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You basic setup is almost the same as mine - looks great. :cool:
Except I have the solenoid after the beaker.
I'm changing my main power switch for the solenoid to a DPDT - Off / Key-on Power / Always on.
So from the drivers seat I can switch off all custom wiring - that's handy for troubleshooting and in case of failure. I'll probably leave it on the middle setting most of the time so everything goes hot when I turn the key. Top position is for running stuff with the engine off.

The only thing that the Honda battery powers in my set up is the voltmeter. Theres no way around that. Even the LEDs in the switches and relay coils are powered from the second battery.

Do you need to use a DBDT switch? My plan is this:

2nd Batt-->Breaker-->Solenoid-->Bussman

Then, wire BOTH key on and an accessory swithch (off the 2nd battery) to the SAME solenoid...that way, when either one happens (key on or I flip the switch) the accessory solenoid will activate and supply power.

Basically, what you did (I think) just without the DPDT switch. Clear as mud?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Do you need to use a DBDT switch? My plan is this:

2nd Batt-->Breaker-->Solenoid-->Bussman

Then, wire BOTH key on and an accessory swithch (off the 2nd battery) to the SAME solenoid...that way, when either one happens (key on or I flip the switch) the accessory solenoid will activate and supply power.

Basically, what you did (I think) just without the DPDT switch. Clear as mud?
Yes that should work but I think you will need to use a couple diodes. One on each input.
If not you will have the power sources feeding each other. If you have your switch on but your key is off, the +12 from your second battery could feed into the honda power-on circuit .

If the switch is on, the key is on and your second battery is low, your key-on circuit may try to charge the second battery.

The DPDT ( or SPDT) switch provides physical isolation. The diode provide solid state isolation.

Reactions: skidooby
skidooby

skidooby

Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes that should work but I think you will need to use a couple diodes. One on each input.
If not you will have the power sources feeding each other. If you have your switch on but your key is off, the +12 from your second battery could feed into the honda power-on circuit .

If the switch is on, the key is on and your second battery is low, your key-on circuit may try to charge the second battery.

The DPDT ( or SPDT) switch provides physical isolation. The diode provide solid state isolation.

That makes sense.....guess I will be ordering a DPDT. Thanks!

skidooby

skidooby

Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

So this is my plan....look right? (sorry for my chicken scratches lol)

20170227 114321

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the instruction from True. For volt meters

View attachment 34900
Any one know what relay they are using between the negative sides on the volt meters? I had two voltmeters already so I ordered the True kit without the meters - now I am not sure how to hook up where they will not come-on until the key is on.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one voltmeter connected to the Honda key-on power. I spliced into the wire that feeds to factory 12v accessory connection.

My second battery has an 80 amp solenoid that provides power to the Bussman. There is a switch on the dash to activate that solenoid. When I throw the switch, the solenoid is engaged and the Bussman and all my accessories become active. So my second voltmeter just comes off one of the Bussman fused lines. Only on when I activate the master switch (ie solenoid).

I'm not sure what switches you have but one of the posts needs 12v to activate the relay. I used one of the fused lines to feed all my relay switches. Hope that helps...
Never mind on my question above - I went back and found the answer in this thread (Duh look there first) - not that I have gotten into my wiring I am approaching questions that I glossed over in my planning.... great thread

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Yeah - thats it. I think.
I have a mater switch that controls everything. It triggers the solenoid which feeds the Bussman.
The DPDT switch can be:
- Off...or
- Key-on power triggers the solenoid... or
- Second battery triggers solenoid (via 5 amp fuse)

So I forgot - the middle position of the switch will also draw some current from the Honda battery when the key is on. Its not just the volt meter.

The only thing thats different is the winch that pulls directly from the second battery. The power to trigger the winch comes from the bussman - so also from the second battery. Im just kinda anal about isolating everything from factory.
Could a SPDT work just the same or are you bringing the neg and Pos of each source threw the sw?
Spdt

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
You could use spdt to choose between key-on and stay-on (second battery) but you wont have an "off" position.

I'm just bring positive for each source.

Edit - keep reading. I corrected myself below.

Last edited:
advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Could a SPDT work just the same or are you bringing the neg and Pos of each source threw the sw?
View attachment 38622
You only need to switch the positive side, the negitive/ground sides can all be bonded together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Thanks, I was thinking of the key would be the off, but then no total isolation.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
This is the switch i'm using but you could use another 3 position switch - actually I think a spdt 3 position switch would work.
And this is how i wired it.
Untitled

Attachments

• VED2U.pdf
    287 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: skidooby and JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good thread. Been trying to figure out how to do my switches. DPDT is good idea. Guess I'll have to do a regular switch for my voltmeter/ 12 plugs to control that so they don't stay on all the time.

Reactions: sharp
skidooby

skidooby

Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good thread. Been trying to figure out how to do my switches. DPDT is good idea. Guess I'll have to do a regular switch for my voltmeter/ 12 plugs to control that so they don't stay on all the time.

Thats why I ended up ordering a DPDT. That way, I dont accidentally leave it on....will stay in the keyed power position most of the time but can turn it on with key off if needed. The very first thing in my circuit after the 2nd battery is a 300A continuous duty golf cart solenoid, then EVERYTHING will be connected after that. The DPDT switch will activate that solenoid and everything (including volt gauges) will come to life. The only thing that will get key-on power is the backlight for the DPDT switch.

Reactions: Dragon21 and sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thats why I ended up ordering a DPDT. That way, I dont accidentally leave it on....will stay in the keyed power position most of the time but can turn it on with key off if needed. The very first thing in my circuit after the 2nd battery is a 300A continuous duty golf cart solenoid, then EVERYTHING will be connected after that. The DPDT switch will activate that solenoid and everything (including volt gauges) will come to life. The only thing that will get key-on power is the backlight for the DPDT switch.
Hmm. Might have to look into that.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

So the DPDT switch i got is a 7 Pin. Im guessing 1 is ground/ neutral. A +/1 for postion 1 (from ACC) and +/1 for position 2 (from 2nd Battery). and 2 outputs. Im assuming both outputs can be jumped together to run to the relay. for some reason i feel like im having a hard time with this switch wiring.

skidooby

skidooby

Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the DPDT switch i got is a 7 Pin. Im guessing 1 is ground/ neutral. A +/1 for postion 1 (from ACC) and +/1 for position 2 (from 2nd Battery). and 2 outputs. Im assuming both outputs can be jumped together to run to the relay. for some reason i feel like im having a hard time with this switch wiring.
I haven't wired mine yet.....too busy but I'm planning on following what x4dice posted on post #74.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dragon21
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That's a SPDT I think if it's lighted.

What's labeled as incoming is outgoing and outgoing incoming for this purpose.

F3501026e5dbf20017e12e9af943b2ab

If you've got this then just connect the light circuit to headlight circuit.

4 from battery /5 to Solenoid /6 from ignition

Reactions: ghost and Dragon21
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!