P1000 Help with 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 problem: Throttle (gas) pedal is non-responsive

R

Rancilio

Dec 1, 2019
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need some help please. I am new to the SxS world. I pulled my 2016 1000-5 out of the garage, drove for 5min, stopped for 5min with it idling, got in, pressed the pedal to go and nothing... It idles normally but zero response to pressing the throttle pedal. I do not see any codes. I can feel the transmission shift when I change the gears. It was about 40F in the garage and about 20F outside. I followed the throttle cable back and do not see anything that looks frozen or broken. Google does not give me any solutions. Thanks for your help.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Idk..
We can only assume it is disconcerted or broken. That short of time in the cold would not be enough to freeze the line.

I assume you checked the peddle connection?

To check the other end you will have to take the throttle body covers off and see if its moving.

Also. Just wondering if you had the peddle recall done?

Ok. Keep us updated.

R

Rancilio

Dec 1, 2019
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The pedal and cable look good to me. I just checked recalls using the VIN and see 4 open recalls. I bought it used a few months ago and did not check recalls until now - lesson learned. Not that it helps me now, but it hardly had a spec of dirt on it when I got it. The previous owner said it had not been off-road.

I figured the problem would be something electrical tied to some safety feature or brake pedal position sensor that google would tell me all about. I’ll see if I can find anything on the throttle body end tomorrow.

H

HondaTech

The pedal and cable look good to me. I just checked recalls using the VIN and see 4 open recalls. I bought it used a few months ago and did not check recalls until now - lesson learned. Not that it helps me now, but it hardly had a spec of dirt on it when I got it. The previous owner said it had not been off-road.

I figured the problem would be something electrical tied to some safety feature or brake pedal position sensor that google would tell me all about. I’ll see if I can find anything on the throttle body end tomorrow.

There is a sensor on the pedal incase it sticks open.

But the mechanical cable connection should still make the rpm increase. Id say the cable has broken internally.

R

Rancilio

Dec 1, 2019
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, pushing the pedal doesn’t move the cable at the throttle body, but the cable at the throttle body moves and the cam rotates as it should when I move it. Strange to me, I cannot pull the cable out, or move it very much at all, from either end. I unscrewed the adjuster under the front seat and could not pull the cable either way there either. It seems that if the cable was broken, I should be able to pull one end out. Should I be able to pull the cable out? I find it hard to believe, but I am beginning to think I have ice inside the cable housing. I think she is headed to the dealer real soon for the recalls. I am hoping the pedal recall fix fixes my pronlem.

C

cook646

Dec 22, 2017
texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the exact same problem, came looking for a solution and found this post! I went for a short ride in the cold a few days ago, loaded some wood, gas pedal was frozen. Its suppose to be above freezing tomorrow so Im hoping it will unfreeze. Ive had the pedal recall done, they just replaced the pedal, it doesn't look like they replaced my cable.

R

Rancilio

Dec 1, 2019
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I suppose a frozen cable is the most likely suspect but I still have a hard time believing it. Although in my investigating, I opened the differential rear case selector box under the front left bed and found a fair amount of corrosion and a 1/4in of ice inside. I chipped 90% of the ice away and sprayed in some PB Blaster (photo) then screwed the cover back on. I figured I would open it up again to clean it out when its warmer. Off the throttle cable topic, but how normal is water in the selector box?

Are there other places I should check for water? Maybe my machine was so clean when I got because the previous owner took it swimming. I hope not!

53739DD0 5522 41DC 947E 40460D4EA39F

Last edited:
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I suppose a frozen cable is the most likely suspect but I still have a hard time believing it. Although in my investigating, I opened the differential rear case selector box under the front left bed and found a fair amount of corrosion and a 1/4in of ice inside. I chipped 90% of the ice away and sprayed in some PB Blaster (photo) then screwed the cover back on. I figured I would open it up again to clean it out when its warmer. Off the throttle cable topic, but how normal is water in the selector box?

Are there other places I should check for water? Maybe my machine was so clean when I got because the previous owner took it swimming. I hope not!

View attachment 255954
I think that's the rear diff cables. If throttle body is not opening when u hit the pedal then the cable is broke or disconnected

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement
R

Rancilio

Dec 1, 2019
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Move to a non-freezing locale? Restrict the rig from cold ops? What is the remedy to stop water getting in the cable housing? Where is water getting in? Am I missing an opening along the cable where water gets in?

I pulled and pushed the cable with enough force that I still find it hard to believe that a small amount of water-turned-ice inside the housing stopped cable movement.

Reactions: Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I pulled and pushed the cable with enough force that I still find it hard to believe that a small amount of water-turned-ice inside the housing stopped cable movement.
I agree, especially since you said you stored it in a building that was above freezing.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!