Talon Hill Start Not Working

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
I had the I4WD light come on and stay on. Took it into dealer. They looked at it and it pulled a code 6-8 which is brake light switch malfunction.... they say this was caused by the Ryco street legal kit I installed and charged me $89.

I get it home and hill start won’t work. In reverse (going uphill backwards) and forward (in low gear or high gear) on a hill when in gear, I push the hill start button and nothing happens. Light doesn’t come on in the cluster and brakes don’t hold at all, even for 2 seconds like manual says...

anyone else have a similar issue? Is their a certain degree of angle you have to be on for it to work?
Thanks

Reactions: TripleB
H

HondaTech

Are you holding the brake before pushing the button?

Is the i-4wd light still on?

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
Are you holding the brake before pushing the button?

Is the i-4wd light still on?
Yes, I am holding the brake before pushing the hill start button.

the I-4wd light is not on anymore as they cleared the code.

H

HondaTech

Do the brake lights work? What does the street kit entail?

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
Do the brake lights work? What does the street kit entail?
Yes brake lights are working properly. The kit has running lights that are turn signals also up front. A horn. The kit ties into the factory taillights and uses them as turn signals and also brake lights.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Yes brake lights are working properly. The kit has running lights that are turn signals also up front. A horn. The kit ties into the factory taillights and uses them as turn signals and also brake lights.
EASY ENOUGH > Unplug the inline connector for the auxiliary lighting (should be under the air filter cover ,lh side near the oil fill) , take it out , plug the harness back together without it and see if it cures your problem . If it doesn't , go back to the dealer with it , demonstrate that it is not the problem and get a refund . If it fixes the problem , choose if you want turn signals or hill start .
I have the XTC turn signal kit on mine and all works fine .

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
EASY ENOUGH > Unplug the inline connector for the auxiliary lighting (should be under the air filter cover ,lh side near the oil fill) , take it out , plug the harness back together without it and see if it cures your problem . If it doesn't , go back to the dealer with it , demonstrate that it is not the problem and get a refund . If it fixes the problem , choose if you want turn signals or hill start .
I have the XTC turn signal kit on mine and all works fine .
Thanks you for the reply, I will try that out and see if it fixes the problem. The Ryco kit has regular brake lights and pulsating brake lights so I may try it without the pulsing and see if that fixes. Thanks again and I’ll post what I find out.

Reactions: HUCK
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is not how the Ryco kit installs/works. There is a tap near the brake pedal switch that picks up the brake signal, then it goes through the turn switch and the connections in the back are cut and bypass the factory wiring and splits the brake light left and right and uses them for turn signals/brake lights.

I would check the wiring at the tap by the brake light switch and make sure it didn't cut through after installing the tap. If you don't see anything obvious at the brake light switch, check the wires that you cut/taped in the back under the air filter cover and make sure they are both hot when the pedal is pressed.

You can also check the Green/Yellow wire on the i-4WD Control Unit and make sure it is hot when the pedal s pressed..

Upload 2019 11 22 22 40 59

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
That is not how the Ryco kit installs/works. There is a tap near the brake pedal switch that picks up the brake signal, then it goes through the turn switch and the connections in the back are cut and bypass the factory wiring and splits the brake light left and right and uses them for turn signals/brake lights.

I would check the wiring at the tap by the brake light switch and make sure it didn't cut through after installing the tap. If you don't see anything obvious at the brake light switch, check the wires that you cut/taped in the back under the air filter cover and make sure they are both hot when the pedal is pressed.

You can also check the Green/Yellow wire on the i-4WD Control Unit and make sure it is hot when the pedal s pressed..

View attachment 167154
Thanks for the info!
Two questions

Where is the I4WD contour unit located? Under drivers seat?

The Ryco kit has two options for the brake lights- one is just regular brake lights when pedal is pressed, the other option is how I have it hooked up currently is the brake lights pulsate for 1 second, do you think that could be another issue?

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
Thanks for the info!
Two questions

The Ryco kit has two options for the brake lights- one is just regular brake lights when pedal is pressed, the other option is how I have it hooked up currently is the brake lights pulsate for 1 second, do you think that could be another issue?
Also the brake lights are all working properly but I will check it all out. thanks

advertisement
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the info!
Two questions

No, it is under the hood. It is the control unit with all the brake lines hooking to it.

I highly doubt that has anything to do with it. The brake wiring splits off 4 ways AFTER your tap.
1 to the left brake light and one to the right (which at this point are cut during the Ryco kit install).
1 to the PCM for various signal reasons (including triggering DCT 6-8 that you had).
1 to the i-4WD controller which signals the controller when the brakes are pressed.

This tells me that the wire from the brake light switch to where it splits off might be cut somewhere. The most likely culprit is the tap you installed near the switch. Here is the diagnosis for the DCT 6-8. You can skip 1 and 2, we already know there is power because your brake lights (through the ryco kit) work...

Upload 2019 11 23 8 28 32

Upload 2019 11 23 8 30 24

You might need to use a pin or paper clip to contact the terminals...

Upload 2019 11 23 8 33 34

Upload 2019 11 23 8 34 25

Last edited:
Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
No, it is under the hood. It is the control unit with all the brake lines hooking to it.

I highly doubt that has anything to do with it. The brake wiring splits off 4 ways AFTER your tap.
1 to the left brake light and one to the right (which at this point are cut during the Ryco kit install).
1 to the PCM for various signal reasons (including triggering DCT 6-8 that you had).
1 to the i-4WD controller which signals the controller when the brakes are pressed.

This tells me that the wire from the brake light switch to where it splits off might be cut somewhere. The most likely culprit is the tap you installed near the switch. Here is the diagnosis for the DCT 6-8. You can skip 1 and 2, we already know there is power because your brake lights (through the ryco kit) work...

View attachment 167177

View attachment 167178

You might need to use a pin or paper clip to contact the terminals...

View attachment 167179

View attachment 167180
Thanks this is great info. I’ll check it out and see what I can find out and report back.
Thanks again

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
Thanks this is great info. I’ll check it out and see what I can find out and report back.
Thanks again
So I was able to dig into it today and get it figured out. The wire that leads to the brake switch had came loose when I installed the Ryco kit. So completely my fault, got it hooked back up and tested hiss assist and it works perfect.

thanks for all the info and help tracking it down!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for letting us know you got it fixed and what the problem was. Glad we could help point you in the right direction.

Reactions: TripleB and 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!