P1000 Hitch options

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What is everyone doing to put a rear hitch on? All of the standard ball mounts that I have for my regular truck are too short when you push it all the way in to line it up with the horizontal holes.

There appears to be many options but I'd rather not spend money on hit and miss.

Are you buying a new 2" ball mount that works with vertical holes?

Are you buying a 2 X 1 1/4 extender to bring it out father?

Are you buying the type the comes out then goes straight up in the air and comes back out again gaining height?

I am just using it for a standard every day 6 x 12 trailer and before I buy something on Amazon I just want to know what's the most commonly used and most universal.

What I have been doing is just putting in a regular one without using the pin in the holes to lock it in place and attaching the safety chains from the trailer and using those to prevent it from pulling out and adjusting it to have it come out farther.

DGann

DGann

Dec 20, 2015
Russellville Alabama
I use a hitch that has 3 size ball on it, it fits perfectly to my truck and to the pioneer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is what we got specifically for the pioneer. I think it's only rated for 5k and 500 tongue but works very well and doesn't rust. No matter what you use the darn retainer clip on the pin is a pain to get out and you lose skin.

Reactions: dotman1
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 16812 This is what we got specifically for the pioneer. I think it's only rated for 5k and 500 tongue but works very well and doesn't rust. No matter what you use the darn retainer clip on the pin is a pain to get out and you lose skin.

I noticed the same thing tonight. Because of the way it's designed it's somewhat difficult to slide that pin in and put the clip on it so I agree.

But that doesn't seem long enough like it would stick out far enough? Wasn't so lazy I go outside and measure mine but that looks like identical to what I have and it just doesn't come out enough??

Reactions: dotman1
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't understand how that's working for you CP. not at 7 1/2. My regular one that I use for my truck is 13 inches overall and doesn't come out far enough out for me.

How are you getting by CP with only 7 1/2 inches? When you hook the trailer up you're not wedged up against the muffler?

Here's a pic of mine with the 13 inch which means your 7 1/2 shouldn't even clear it :)

And even at that length the top of the trailer coupling hits the muffler.

I should have taken the picture sideways because this way it looks like I have clearance but if you look at it from the side you can see the ball is actually under the muffler

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 16813 I don't understand how that's working for you CP. not at 7 1/2. My regular one that I use for my truck is 13 inches overall and doesn't come out far enough out for me.

How are you getting by CP with only 7 1/2 inches? When you hook the trailer up you're not wedged up against the muffler?

Here's a pic of mine with the 13 inch which means your 7 1/2 shouldn't even clear it :)

I should have taken the picture sideways because this way it looks like I have clearance but if you look at it from the side you can see the ball is actually under the muffler
It could stand to stick out just a little bit more but it's not to bad. It's about a 1/4" from being perfect but we used it a lot with no problems. I'm pretty sure this is our exact one here's an old pic.Imagei wouldn't want it too far out because it gets harder on the vehicle and may interfere with off road but it works fine.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 16813 I don't understand how that's working for you CP. not at 7 1/2. My regular one that I use for my truck is 13 inches overall and doesn't come out far enough out for me.

I think this is what we need to fix the bloody knuckles

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I used a standard truck hitch and drilled another hole in it so it would stick out slightly farther.

I also added a flat piece of metal for small utility trailers.

Bbd2726160bb16a56fe613de58aaab7e

Sent from my iPad 7G

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
advertisement
B

Bornlzr

Nov 13, 2015
What is everyone doing to put a rear hitch on? All of the standard ball mounts that I have for my regular truck are too short when you push it all the way in to line it up with the horizontal holes.

There appears to be many options but I'd rather not spend money on hit and miss.

Are you buying a new 2" ball mount that works with vertical holes?

Are you buying a 2 X 1 1/4 extender to bring it out father?

Are you buying the type the comes out then goes straight up in the air and comes back out again gaining height?

I am just using it for a standard every day 6 x 12 trailer and before I buy something on Amazon I just want to know what's the most commonly used and most universal.

What I have been doing is just putting in a regular one without using the pin in the holes to lock it in place and attaching the safety chains from the trailer and using those to prevent it from pulling out and adjusting it to have it come out farther.
I purchased a Brophy ball mount on line from e-Trailer that is 13 1/4" from pin center to ball center. The ball location is inline or just slightly inside the the edge of the rear bumper with this ball mount. I put the rear pin in and then marked and drilled a 3/4" vertical hole into the ball mount which is now much easier to get at. The ball mount is considered extra long and the product number is BH20. About $54 each, great shipping service.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great responses everybody and it's helping me make a decision. Is anybody finding that those are too long and when you walk around the back you bump your leg on it?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Great responses everybody and it's helping me make a decision. Is anybody finding that those are too long and when you walk around the back you bump your leg on it?
I have never hit my leg on it yet works very well

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I too drilled another hole in my hitch, but went vertical with the factory outside hole and used a bolt to keep the hitch from rattling around, I think it was 5/8's. I shoved it all the way in the receiver as far as I could to reduce the leverage on the factory hitch and to keep it out of the way. It clears both my 5x10 and 18ft car hauler just fine.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I too drilled another hole in my hitch, but went vertical with the factory outside hole and used a bolt to keep the hitch from rattling around, I think it was 5/8's. I shoved it all the way in the receiver as far as I could to reduce the leverage on the factory hitch and to keep it out of the way. It clears both my 5x10 and 18ft car hauler just fine.
I did not drill A hole I used the hole that is horizontal it works just fine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!