Hmf qs slip on

Smokinjoe6s

Smokinjoe6s

Mar 27, 2020
Cheshire, ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
Any body have the hmf qs slip on , or have heard one? Just curious of how loud it actually is . Thanks

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I run the HMF Titan QS Series Full exhaust (not the slip on) on mine. Has a nice tone/rumble and not too loud. I run the Quiet Inserts when trail riding and it is almost as quiet as stock but with a nice rumble. So quiet that wifey didn't even notice and she notices everything :cool:

I can't imagine that the slip on is any noisier than the full system. However, you can't use the little Quiet Core Insert for those times you want it quieter like you can with the full exhaust.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I run the HMF Titan QS Series Full exhaust (not the slip on) on mine. Has a nice tone/rumble and not too loud. I run the Quiet Inserts when trail riding and it is almost as quiet as stock but with a nice rumble. So quiet that wifey didn't even notice and she notices everything :cool:

I can't imagine that the slip on is any noisier than the full system. However, you can't use the little Quiet Core Insert for those times you want it quieter like you can with the full exhaust.
According to the HMF website...
Titan QS Full is 4db louder than stock (I can confirm this is pretty close)
Titan QS Slip On is 2db louder than stock. (I would tend to believe this)

And I stand corrected, it appears that the Quiet Core Insert WILL fit the Slip On so the Slip On with the Quiet Core might be as quiet as stock.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the HMF slip on and love it. Has meaner grumble to it and it is slightly louder than stock but not much. Sounds totally different when going down a hill in low gear at the lake though, that’s when it really rumbles

Reactions: Smokinjoe6s
Smokinjoe6s

Smokinjoe6s

Mar 27, 2020
Cheshire, ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I think you all made my mind up.. lol

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I don’t have a talon but I have a P1K5 and have the HMF QS. It sounds great IMO. The standard one is defiantly louder. Power gain you ask? Maybe a little bit not enough to get you excited. Here’s a Vidga of mine....

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you guys notice any power gains? I want to do an exhaust but I want it to add some power too!)
NO! If you want the "rumble", put on a slip on and save your money for something at actually makes horsepower. The full exhaust is a total waste of money in my opinion. And if you plan on a turbo, the slip on is a waste too because Honda requires the stock muffler with the Turbo so until someone cracks the Turbo tune, anything other than stock is a waste of money.

The advertised HP gains are mostly hype from an ideal setup on a Dyno that was achieved one time and recorded as gospel. AND the gain is not from the exhaust, itis from the tune you are required to get along with the exhaust (even the slip on). You might see marginal gains at best if you average multiple passes, especially if you are not at sea level. You MUST also buy a tuner and change the tune if you run exhaust and that adds even more expense. They don't tell you this but a tune alone adds more HP than any of the exhausts. Mine never ran right from 5,000 to 10,000 feet with any of the canned tunes so I spent THOUSANDS of dollars and hundreds of hours on this. There are several factors...
  1. First and foremost, the Talon's Barometric Compensation in the PCM is not correct so the higher you go in altitude, the richer the engine runs. I tried the PwrTune and HMF's tunes and they were both so rich at 5200 feet (The PwrTune was running in the 11's and the HMF in the 12's) my machine was sluggish at WOT. After many hours working with Andy at HMF, we determined that the tunes done at or near sea level run too rich at higher altitudes to make any additional horsepower/torque and at 10,000 feet, my machine was a complete DOG. I had to write my own tune for the altitudes I ride at so if you ride more than 1000 feet above sea level, the canned tunes don't add anything and you may even lose power like I did.
  2. The stock exhaust is pretty decently engineered for maximum power. Think about it, it is used with the turbo and can handle and additional 60+ HP with ease. It is so well designed that aftermarket units barely improve your power (if at all) on a normally aspirated engine. At sea level, I believe the gains are better but they quickly diminish at altitude because they engine just doesn't need to breath any more up here. I do believe that aftermarket exhaust WILL help a turbo model but no one has cracked the turbo tune yet so there is currently nothing available for the turbo (although the race team runs a non stock muffler so someone has made it work but isn't telling).
  3. Full HMF exhaust get HOT as hell and your passenger will hate you unless you insulate the crap out of the rear firewall. It is super thin stainless with no heat shields. It glows cherry red at night (see below).
  4. By the time is all said and done, you can get MAYBE 10 hp but it will cost you $2000 - $2500 (exhaust, tuner, wideband, dyno runs, etc). That costs up to $250/HP compared to the turbo which is only around $100/HP and you get a crap load more HP from the turbo.
I have a love/hate relationship with my exhaust. Love the looks, sound and experience gained. Hate the fact I wasted so much money to gain a few HP. If you do it, just do it for the sound and cool factor. If you are trying to gain power, you will be VERY disappointed!

This looks like daytime but it is actually late dusk, almost dark. The camera aperture must have been wide open and this camera is super sensitive to red colors. The camera highly exaggerates the glow and at first scared the crap out of me. This glow is barely perceptible in daylight with the naked eye and is completely normal...

Cherry Red Exhaust

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
That is unfortunately what I was afraid of. I have a hard time purchasing things like that, that do not give me at least some performance gains. On the flip side like you were saying the stock exhaust does pretty well in every category but sounding really cool!) So @PaulF Do you feel like it is just a matter of time that off-road companies figure out how to tune the Honda Talon? I have played with and had virtually everything I've owned tuned. In the vehicle world they are tuning power and transmissions all the time. Is this due to lack of experience in this industry because most side by sides have a rubber band so alls you have to do is add power and there's nothing else to tune? Or is this just a different / more complex thing to tune than a sports car or a diesel truck? I have been working on the other aspects of building my Talon and have not started focusing on power yet but I will be in the next 6 months....

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So @PaulF Do you feel like it is just a matter of time that off-road companies figure out how to tune the Honda Talon?
No. Several have already tried with small amounts of gain. I think Honda did a great job with the Talon's tune. It is on the lean side of normal to meet emissions standards and probably pump up the MPG a bit and they only left maybe 5 HP on the table. Can it be improved? Yes but the gains ar not worth the cost.

I feel the biggest issue with the Talon is the DCT tuning. It can and has been improved by DynoJet but again, not sure it is worth it. You have to buy a PV3 and then spend another $100 for the DCT upgrade. You do get the completely useless Launch Control (big deal). Since I already have the PV3, I MIGHT consider getting the DCT Upgrade (note, they don't call it a tune, I believe it is some sort of flash done tou the PV3 to upgrade it..

My biggest gripe is they lock their tunes so you can't make fine adjustments if you want. I understand the reasons, I just don't like that they do it. Not sure if this is the case with the DCT Upgrade or not. Also can't figure out if you can stack a fuel/timing tune on top of the DCT Upgrade, I cannot get any answers from them lately.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
No. Several have already tried with small amounts of gain. I think Honda did a great job with the Talon's tune. It is on the lean side of normal to meet emissions standards and probably pump up the MPG a bit and they only left maybe 5 HP on the table. Can it be improved? Yes but the gains ar not worth the cost.

I feel the biggest issue with the Talon is the DCT tuning. It can and has been improved by DynoJet but again, not sure it is worth it. You have to buy a PV3 and then spend another $100 for the DCT upgrade. You do get the completely useless Launch Control (big deal). Since I already have the PV3, I MIGHT consider getting the DCT Upgrade (note, they don't call it a tune, I believe it is some sort of flash done tou the PV3 to upgrade it..

My biggest gripe is they lock their tunes so you can't make fine adjustments if you want. I understand the reasons, I just don't like that they do it. Not sure if this is the case with the DCT Upgrade or not. Also can't figure out if you can stack a fuel/timing tune on top of the DCT Upgrade, I cannot get any answers from them lately.

I guess I was hoping that there was a lot of power to be added to this machine, It was just a matter of unlocking it. Obviously it could be rumor, but I thought I've heard Honda stating that this platform was capable of 200 horsepower without a turbo kit. I do plan on putting a turbo kit on my Talon but I didn't want that to be the only performance/power gain I could really do. I am running 30" tires on it and I do love the car.... But I think the perfect combination would be a set of 32s being pushed by a turbo. Hopefully this summer people start to get it figured out!!

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great informaton PaulF. Very throrough. Thank you!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I guess I was hoping that there was a lot of power to be added to this machine, It was just a matter of unlocking it. Obviously it could be rumor, but I thought I've heard Honda stating that this platform was capable of 200 horsepower without a turbo kit. I do plan on putting a turbo kit on my Talon but I didn't want that to be the only performance/power gain I could really do. I am running 30" tires on it and I do love the car.... But I think the perfect combination would be a set of 32s being pushed by a turbo. Hopefully this summer people start to get it figured out!!
I remember reading something to that effect, cant find it now. I had to read it twice because it was badly worded. I think you may have misunderstood what that statement meant. The platform (meaning the mechanicals) in it's stock format before adding the turbo were beefed and under piston oil injectors were added so that the mechanical structure of the engine/transmission could handle up to 200 HP without any additional modifications. Where the additional power came from is up to you.

They were probably trying to give everybody the "warm fuzzies" about the durability of the engine so people were not afraid to add the turbo.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I remember reading something to that effect, cant find it now. I had to read it twice because it was badly worded. I think you may have misunderstood what that statement meant. The platform (meaning the mechanicals) in it's stock format before adding the turbo were beefed and under piston oil injectors were added so that the mechanical structure of the engine/transmission could handle up to 200 HP without any additional modifications. Where the additional power came from is up to you.

They were probably trying to give everybody the "warm fuzzies" about the durability of the engine so people were not afraid to add the turbo.

I can't remember where it was that I saw Honda had said that either. What you are saying they meant by it makes more sense. I will be adding a turbo at some point! Thanks for all the info!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!