Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is a quick easy fix. First of all if you look at your hinges you will likely find the door rests on the bottom of one and not the other. On my machine, at the top hinge my door rests on the steel hinge bracket. At the bottom hinge my door is floating between top and bottom of the steel. I also dont feel there is a lot of force straight down in this location. If the door is heavy with mud the force will be pulling at the top hinge and pushing at the bottom hinge.....continued 2fa72990291486244dc98bf0ebb192f99c543ca60246c81c72b5271b2b9c7e99

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now to fix the rattle you will need some solid UHMW bar stock that is exactly 1" in diameter. I bought some at a local plastic shop. All they had on hand was white and it works. You wont see them anyway. I bought 10 feet of it for $20. That's enough to make bushings for about 24 doors.

You have 2 options on cutting your bushing. You can add a washer to the bottom or go without. As I said before I dont think there is a lot of force straight down so i dont think they are necessary. I built a door with each version. Ff45e96ba11fbebf30295224459f271f44b595a36173dd03a16ce2aba97d3142

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cut the UHMW to the exact width of the steel hinge. It should be about 2 3/8". You want this to fit Tight! Pick what end you want to be the top and chamfer it very slightly. If you desire a big washer on bottom for the door to rest on you'll need to cut it shorter but still keep it snug. 09425d54646dfd7ff1914cfd2e5b0f8d473ddcb1c87af8de3283680facd8fbd6E8b3cd02c501ae9f5d98a39d07515d42

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now you need a hole in the bushing. You dont need a fancy lathe or drill press. Just put it in a vice and take your time getting lined up.

First you'll want to drill a 3/16" pilot hole through the center of the bushing. I punched a mark in the center of each end and drilled half way in from each side. This method works pretty well. I used a crappy vice on a stand and a Milwaukee drill. If I can do it so can you.

Once you have drilled the pilot hole you will need to drill it out to exactly 5/16". The hinge pin will fit snug. Do not drill it any larger or it will rattle. Trust me.

Lastly I greased up the parts with marine grease and assembled. Install the bushing from the bottom side of the door hinge with the chamfer going up. The chamfer makes it easier to put in. Give it a few taps with a hammer and it will go right in. Grease the pin and tap it through the bushing.

My total cost in two doors was under $5 and it took me about 15 minutes to do each door.5a3090b8872f1aa139e89ff1d5a4ec81C726365d337f18fb4691d16c4a7a44ef1b180855ae7a84413328a4db1666cccf

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Now you need a hole in the bushing. You dont need a fancy lathe or drill press. Just put it in a vice and take your time getting lined up.

First you'll want to drill a 3/16" pilot hole through the center of the bushing. I punched a mark in the center of each end and drilled half way in from each side. This method works pretty well. I used a crappy vice on a stand and a Milwaukee drill. If I can do it so can you.

Once you have drilled the pilot hole you will need to drill it out to exactly 5/16". The hinge pin will fit snug. Do not drill it any larger or it will rattle. Trust me.

Lastly I greased up the parts with marine grease and assembled. Install the bushing from the bottom side of the door hinge with the chamfer going up. The chamfer makes it easier to put in. Give it a few taps with a hammer and it will go right in. Grease the pin and tap it through the bushing.

My total cost in two doors was under $5 and it took me about 15 minutes to do each door.View attachment 92895View attachment 92896View attachment 92897

Very cool!! Thank you for sharing this! :)

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@301 Here is the instructions to make your own. You asked the other night.

Reactions: BWAF and Remington

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 1153 *UPDATE*

The pictured tools were what I used on this project. I didn't have a sander but for less than what I would've had in the Weller bushings, I now have a sander for life and tight doors.

I purchased both from Amazon (gotta love that PRIME shipping) and found the 1"D X 2'L stick of UHMW for $14.95.

The only problem that I incurred was when I tried to put the first bushing in a door. I had failed to remember the part where Cuoutdoors had mentioned tapping them in with a hammer. They seemed to be WAY oversized and I started to doubt my purchase. Went back and measured the diameter at a tick over 1". Confusion set in, "Did they make the older models with a larger bushing?", "Does one end of the hinge have a larger opening, WTF?". I re-read the instructions and out came the ball pein hammer. After a couple of firm hits it started in as I sighed relief that it didn't completely blow the hinge out and render the door worthless.

After pushing the hinge pins home my doors are now tighter than the nuts on a Tasmanian tomcat. There is absolutely no play and the door shuts effortlessly.

Thanks Cuoutdoors for being the guinea pig at trying to force those bushings through the doors!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 93471 *UPDATE*

The pictured tools were what I used on this project. I didn't have a sander but for less than what I would've had in the Weller bushings, I now have a sander for life and tight doors.

I purchased both from Amazon (gotta love that PRIME shipping) and found the 1"D X 2'L stick of UHMW for $14.95.

The only problem that I incurred was when I tried to put the first bushing in a door. I had failed to remember the part where Cuoutdoors had mentioned tapping them in with a hammer. They seemed to be WAY oversized and I started to doubt my purchase. Went back and measured the diameter at a tick over 1". Confusion set in, "Did they make the older models with a larger bushing?", "Does one end of the hinge have a larger opening, WTF?". I re-read the instructions and out came the ball pein hammer. After a couple of firm hits it started in as I sighed relief that it didn't completely blow the hinge out and render the door worthless.

After pushing the hinge pins home my doors are now tighter than the nuts on a Tasmanian tomcat. There is absolutely no play and the door shuts effortlessly.

Thanks Cuoutdoors for being the guinea pig at trying to force those bushings through the doors!
I just ordered the last of the Amazon 1"x2' UHMW ;)

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is a quick easy fix. First of all if you look at your hinges you will likely find the door rests on the bottom of one and not the other. On my machine, at the top hinge my door rests on the steel hinge bracket. At the bottom hinge my door is floating between top and bottom of the steel. I also dont feel there is a lot of force straight down in this location. If the door is heavy with mud the force will be pulling at the top hinge and pushing at the bottom hinge.....continuedView attachment 92886View attachment 92887

Just for grins, did you try adjusting the hinge brackets? When I had mine apart I noticed the same thing as you. So when I reassembled them, I pushed the top hinge up and the bottom hinge down to take up the slack... worked for me as the door does not rattle. I had planned on trying the tubing on the latch, but will wait to see how it works out.

FredD

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm in the machine shop business myself....and I'm also a consumer of specialty products. So allow me to just add kind of a neutral comment.

I have high precision CNC lathes that are capable of turning out a piece like this in a matter of a few seconds each...and the raw material...either Delrin, UHMW, Hydex, MDS nylon, or whatever you choose is relative in price. But you have to bear in mind that a machine tool capable of rapidly making these is expensive, to own and operate.

In this case, because of the simplicity of the part, there would be a minimal programming time to get the first set made...after that, the CNC programs are done and retained for future use.... and that cost goes away....

So the average guy that wants a set of door bushings cannot just go out and buy a CNC machine to make himself a set. Yes they can be made on a conventional lathe or even on a little hobby lathe...but not in any kind of quantity that would be profitable.

Now on the other hand...if I could make a set, or several sets at a time.....for, let's say, a total manufacturing cost of $10-$20 per set
then I (myself) couldn't justify making the price 15 times what it cost to manufacture them....what I would do is turn out a number of
sets in one run that would make a reasonable profit...... when sold at a reasonable price.

Also, although I have the capability to make just about anything that can be machined, I have a make/buy philosophy...
In other words....if I can buy it at a reasonable price...I do so...because my time is valuable as well.

Just my 2¢....
I don't cut anyone's throat for profit....
I bought a set of four door bushings, think it was close to $ 100.00, when I received them looked like they could have been made for a whole lot less, I considered the thought process of even coming up the bushings and feel satisfied with the price.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!