BOX1

P1000 Homemade Door Bushings

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1" by 2' stick arrived earlier this week from amazon too.

Sadly ill have to wait until after deer season to make the bushings.:(

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just for grins, did you try adjusting the hinge brackets? When I had mine apart I noticed the same thing as you. So when I reassembled them, I pushed the top hinge up and the bottom hinge down to take up the slack... worked for me as the door does not rattle. I had planned on trying the tubing on the latch, but will wait to see how it works out.

FredD
Before or after the mod? Before the pins rattle inside the factory bushings. After it doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 93471 *UPDATE*

The pictured tools were what I used on this project. I didn't have a sander but for less than what I would've had in the Weller bushings, I now have a sander for life and tight doors.

I purchased both from Amazon (gotta love that PRIME shipping) and found the 1"D X 2'L stick of UHMW for $14.95.

The only problem that I incurred was when I tried to put the first bushing in a door. I had failed to remember the part where Cuoutdoors had mentioned tapping them in with a hammer. They seemed to be WAY oversized and I started to doubt my purchase. Went back and measured the diameter at a tick over 1". Confusion set in, "Did they make the older models with a larger bushing?", "Does one end of the hinge have a larger opening, WTF?". I re-read the instructions and out came the ball pein hammer. After a couple of firm hits it started in as I sighed relief that it didn't completely blow the hinge out and render the door worthless.

After pushing the hinge pins home my doors are now tighter than the nuts on a Tasmanian tomcat. There is absolutely no play and the door shuts effortlessly.

Thanks Cuoutdoors for being the guinea pig at trying to force those bushings through the doors!
Remember to taper one end and put that end up inserting the Bushing from bottom side. Glad it worked for you!

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Before or after the mod? Before the pins rattle inside the factory bushings. After it doesn't matter.

My bushings rattled in the doors and the pins rattled in the bushings. Passenger door had approximately 2” of movement up and down at the rear of door when unlatched.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We run a lot of plastic at our shop. I'd be happy to run a bunch and ship them somewhere. We have plenty of material in stock and it has probably been paid for 2 or 3 times over. Consider it a favor since we can easily set something up to run a bunch and would run while someone was doing something else over the weekend. Just bought a 1000 and already have it tore apart trying to do different stuff to it. All I ask is folks keep answering my rookie questions. sounds like 1.00" dia x 2.375 long with a chamfer on one end and a .3125 dia hole through the middle? I'll ship to one or two locations or so... maybe someone else can distribute? Let me know... happy to help.

That being said, if someone is selling to make money I am not trying to put anyone out.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We run a lot of plastic at our shop. I'd be happy to run a bunch and ship them somewhere. We have plenty of material in stock and it has probably been paid for 2 or 3 times over. Consider it a favor since we can easily set something up to run a bunch and would run while someone was doing something else over the weekend. Just bought a 1000 and already have it tore apart trying to do different stuff to it. All I ask is folks keep answering my rookie questions. sounds like 1.00" dia x 2.375 long with a chamfer on one end and a .3125 dia hole through the middle? I'll ship to one or two locations or so... maybe someone else can distribute? Let me know... happy to help.

That being said, if someone is selling to make money I am not trying to put anyone out.
I developed these with the sole purpose of giving some away as well as the instructions for anyone able. I've already made several sets that I'm giving away and you're welcome to join in. Sounds like you could knock them out pretty quick.

O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I developed these with the sole purpose of giving some away as well as the instructions for anyone able. I've already made several sets that I'm giving away and you're welcome to join in. Sounds like you could knock them out pretty quick.

Same part takes care of all 4 doors? A set would be 4pcs? Do you want the hinge pin slip fit (clearance by a few .001”) or light press (interference by .001) in regards to the .3125 hole. Can i use delrin or other material... or is uhmw/hdpe type material best? delrin sure cuts better as far as walking away. I could probably sneak some of these in late today and ship tomorrow

Reactions: TimG and sharp
O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

These are going to start running at 1p central. My only window to run these under the radar. If you can confirm specs that would be great... if not, I think we will just go with them as you measured above. I have enough material to make 210 bushings. Is that overkill? Anything else these machines need out of 1" stock?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
These are going to start running at 1p central. My only window to run these under the radar. If you can confirm specs that would be great... if not, I think we will just go with them as you measured above. I have enough material to make 210 bushings. Is that overkill? Anything else these machines need out of 1" stock?
I don’t think that would be overkill, that’s 105 P1K-3’s and 52 P1K-5’s if I understand it correctly....

Reactions: sharp and JTW
O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am all ears. If folks want those spacers on top and bottom that can be easily done. How thick are the flanges (or spacers/washers) Should I cut some .120" less then others to allow for a .060" washer? Let me know what y'all want to hand out.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I am all ears. If folks want those spacers on top and bottom that can be easily done. How thick are the flanges (or spacers/washers) Should I cut some .120" less then others to allow for a .060" washer? Let me know what y'all want to hand out.

I’d say you need to get with @Cuoutdoors before you begin production to be sure they’re done correctly!

Reactions: sharp
O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In case you're interested in a different approach... I 3D printed a set, and they've been working great. the files needed are available for download.

P1000 - 3d printed door bushings
Looks like the two piece design with the flange would better capture that molded material and be more robust. Unfortunately I already have the 1" material coming. Sort of learning on the go here like teaching heat concepts with a 12 pack, match and gallon of gas.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Same piece for all 4 doors. The pin needs to be a snug fit. UHMW works best. Its slicker than delrin or hdpe. IMO but you can try what you like. If you make 210 bring them to the takeover in may and give them away there

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d say you need to get with @Cuoutdoors before you begin production to be sure they’re done correctly!
There are plenty of ways to skin a cat.

I'm testing with and without the flange/washer. Honestly I dont think it really makes a difference.

The 1" uhmw is the easiest approach for a DIY guy so that's what I worked up.

O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think with the leverage of the long door closing/opening the lubricity that UHMW offers may not be as noticeable? Maybe a squirt of drylube on the pin before install?

All that can be set aside because the material just hit the floor and I am running them overnight tonight. Black Delrin and going with full size specs. Not the way I typically like to fly into something but the rattling doors are bothersome and I happened across this thread just as I am switching jobs in one of my machines. Perfect storm I guess. I can easily make a rev B or other down the road.

O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did anyone mic the pin? I forgot to grab one at home today. or if I drill 5/16 it will be fine. Drill undersize and ream. anyone up for some blinds darts?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did anyone mic the pin? I forgot to grab one at home today. or if I drill 5/16 it will be fine. Drill undersize and ream. anyone up for some blinds darts?
5/16 is perfect

Reactions: TimG and sharp
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!