Honda extended warranty worth it?

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will have had my pioneer 1000-5 for one year at the end of June. I did not purchase the extended warranty upon purchase and the window of opportunity for getting one is closing. Is the Honda warranty worth it, and if so at what price (I understand they are negotiable). Is there a better warranty for the $ or worth rolling the dice and not getting one at all?

FWIW, mine has been problem free. I have not been in for the cabin comfort or clutch updates yet.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will have had my pioneer 1000-5 for one year at the end of June. I did not purchase the extended warranty upon purchase and the window of opportunity for getting one is closing. Is the Honda warranty worth it, and if so at what price (I understand they are negotiable). Is there a better warranty for the $ or worth rolling the dice and not getting one at all?

FWIW, mine has been problem free. I have not been in for the cabin comfort or clutch updates yet.
I'm in the same boat... bought mine at the end of June last year. Before the clutch update, I was pretty dead set on buying the extended warranty, but now that I've had it done, I'm kind of leaning on the side of not buying it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There have been very few major issues. And most were on machines that have been modified thus ruling warranty void. The only common issues have been clutch and heat. Both Honda will update with or without an extended warranty.

I did buy mine, but I bought the first year. If I bought again I would not.

Answer this:
Do you, have you, or will you ever drive in water more than 10 inches?
If so. Don't wast your money.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There have been very few major issues. And most were on machines that have been modified thus ruling warranty void. The only common issues have been clutch and heat. Both Honda will update with or without an extended warranty.

I did buy mine, but I bought the first year. If I bought again I would not.

Answer this:
Do you, have you, or will you ever drive in water more than 10 inches?
If so. Don't wast your money.
I have been in more than 10 inches of water, but i do not make it a habit and try to avoid it. I have a superatv lift, revised airbox lid and all vents extended to the roof to help some.

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
In the same boat with our 700-4 deluxe but I’m not planning on purchasing the extended warranty. Think I’d rather spend the money elsewhere lol

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I got it for my P500 as I would be using it 1300 miles from home in the mountains. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but doesn't look like I'll ever need it.

Reactions: Hondoman and BWAF
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I roll the dice and figure the odds. It is a HONDA, the most dependable machine on earth. I have owned MANY Hondas and dont recall EVER using the warranty. NO, I will take my chances without it.
Im like you, never purchasing an extended warranty for anything ever. With the money ive saved i can easily pay for something if it breaks (nothing major so far).

Ill just skip this one too. Thanks all.

J

jtpioneer

Nov 12, 2018
Johnstown, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys. I was on the fence with buying an extended warranty - The window to purchase will be up in a few weeks. This forum helped me make my decision. I'll save my money.

Reactions: JTW
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Still haven't used mine. In many ways that makes it a bargain :)

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious, what is the cost of the extended warranty?

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
It was $600 for 2 additional years as I recall. No regrets. If most of my use was local I probably would not have done it.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To me it comes down to a couple of variables.

1. Do I rely on this equipment for my livelihood ( including transportation to and from work) and would be at financial risk of not covering future catastrophic failure?

2. Do I have the time and skills to make the repairs myself at or lower cost than the warranty for over 50% of the machine?

3. Past performance reputation of manufacturer / equipment in previous years.

4. Just how much and how hard will the unit be used.

Extended warranty on a vehicle? Possibly makes sense.

On a “toy” .......not in my household.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I paid $600 for 3yrs extra. Not even from the dealer I bought it from. $1800 is a joke. Go online and buy it.

Reactions: Vikes79 and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!