Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
TORQ Locker has just announced a unit for the Talon I-4WD team Honda used it at KOH. Might be a future option for P1K LE. Would be interesting to see how that would work with @Hondasxs I-4WD over ride kit.

More information here:

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TORQ Locker has just announced a unit for the Talon I-4WD team Honda used it at KOH. Might be a future option for P1K LE. Would be interesting to see how that would work with @Hondasxs I-4WD over ride kit.

More information here:

If I understand that correctly, the TORQ makes the front diff lock just as with the P1K???

Reactions: Smitty335
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
If I understand that correctly, the TORQ makes the front diff lock just as with the P1K???
Not in the same sense as the P1k. This is an "always on" option if I'm not mistaken, sort of like a LSD but not the same. There is no manual engagement. It does lock up like a manual locker when it kicks in.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not in the same sense as the P1k. This is an "always on" option if I'm not mistaken, sort of like a LSD but not the same. There is no manual engagement. It does lock up like a manual locker when it kicks in.
You mean it is not possible to run 2WD in the easy stuff, then shift in Lock Diff when needed?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You mean it is not possible to run 2WD in the easy stuff, then shift in Lock Diff when needed?
Not in the same fashion you're thinking of with a manual selection like the P1k non-LE. Even in 2WD the front diff is going to have some drag to it when turning since you can't really "disengage" it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I agree, but they've used diffs like these in trucks forever. I think it would be great out trail riding but would suck if you ran a lot of blacktop. Great to see an option available either way.
I was really just giving Honda s***. I mean...the company that seemed to deny that locking front diffs were standard equipment for 10-15 years before they finally broke down and did it, then goes out and jumps the shark with I4wd? If people want I4wd, make it for them, but give the lower end model a good old selectable locker like you did with the pioneer 1000/700.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I was really just giving Honda s***. I mean...the company that seemed to deny that locking front diffs were standard equipment for 10-15 years before they finally broke down and did it, then goes out and jumps the shark with I4wd? If people want I4wd, make it for them, but give the lower end model a good old selectable locker like you did with the pioneer 1000/700.
I figured that was what you were playing at, lol

Reactions: DG Rider
D

delfinog

May 26, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
has anyone added a lift to there LE? If so, what kind, how much lift and did you get better axels to support. Thanks, also I will be looking into getting those brake lines.

D

Deleted member 47331

What can I-4WD do that a skilled driver and a good set of lockers can't? And what's the point of hill start assist, when the driver can use both feet to manage the brake/gas to prevent rollback? Better yet, why not simply eliminate all these fancy gadgets and use a good old fashioned stick shift transmission?

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
What can I-4WD do that a skilled driver and a good set of lockers can't? And what's the point of hill start assist, when the driver can use both feet to manage the brake/gas to prevent rollback? Better yet, why not simply eliminate all these fancy gadgets and use a good old fashioned stick shift transmission?
Obviously they think you can’t drive

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I will agree with you on this, except the stick shift. That’d just be a b**** where I ride, be a long day and the time it takes in between gears would kill of some momentum, not engine brake as fast and be rough on ya by end of day. Dct does work well for sxs.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I-4wd can turn on a dime in sketchy situations.
Or, save you a lot of digging/ winching when you let you wife drive.

D

Deleted member 47331

I will agree with you on this, except the stick shift. That’d just be a b**** where I ride, be a long day and the time it takes in between gears would kill of some momentum, not engine brake as fast and be rough on ya by end of day. Dct does work well for sxs.
I won't disagree with your assessment because a stick shift certainly isn't right for all situations, but they can be a heck of a lot more fun to drive sometimes. The DCT and paddle shifters compensate to a certain degree, but it's just not the same experience.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I won't disagree with your assessment because a stick shift certainly isn't right for all situations, but they can be a heck of a lot more fun to drive sometimes. The DCT and paddle shifters compensate to a certain degree, but it's just not the same experience.
Feels much better then those rubber bands to drive😉

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!