P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Internal gear reduction

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm definitely a novice on things like this. Once I decide to do it, and I'm pretty sure I will, I am either going to enlist the help of a motor head friend or see if one of the local aftermarket shops will give me a decent deal on the teardown and re-install. Hell, it might be something they can work with the inventor on and do it for more local people up here.

I might call Hartley Motors tomorrow, and see if they would entertain installing these kits. If enough of us call about it, maybe they will bite, and help us out. Otherwise, let me know if you go for it. I might give it a shot either way. Its gunna be a long winter and I need a project.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might call Hartley Motors tomorrow, and see if they would entertain installing these kits. If enough of us call about it, maybe they will bite, and help us out. Otherwise, let me know if you go for it. I might give it a shot either way. Its gunna be a long winter and I need a project.
It's going to be a little while before I do, and I'm also waiting to see if they come out with a lower reduction. I'm not looking at wanting to run 32 inch tires, but true 28s would be nice. I believe I'd trust Hartleys over ACC any day. There's also an aftermarket mod shop out on KGB that I've heard does decent work. They might be interested in the business.

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
It's going to be a little while before I do, and I'm also waiting to see if they come out with a lower reduction. I'm not looking at wanting to run 32 inch tires, but true 28s would be nice. I believe I'd trust Hartleys over ACC any day. There's also an aftermarket mod shop out on KGB that I've heard does decent work. They might be interested in the business.

The lower reduction is on hold until we have one at the shop and he's doing the install too.
Right now everybody's been ordering them and either having someone else do the job or doing it themselves.
With the updated gear sets pretty much anyone that can read a service manual to change the clutches can do the install. Grinding has dropped 75 percent

Reactions: AKRider and popeye
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
That's it folks.
Received 10209571930073318
Received 10209571930113319

Reactions: AKRider and popeye
BKopp

BKopp

Sep 26, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wondering if any dealers or private guys do this in middle TN. Not having any problems but I've always been proactive as opposed to reactive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The lower reduction is on hold until we have one at the shop and he's doing the install too.
Right now everybody's been ordering them and either having someone else do the job or doing it themselves.
With the updated gear sets pretty much anyone that can read a service manual to change the clutches can do the install. Grinding has dropped 75 percent

I don't think I'd have a problem with swapping out the gears or clutches, it's the grinding that gives me pause. What are they using to do it? It might be an excuse to buy new tools... lol

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I don't think I'd have a problem with swapping out the gears or clutches, it's the grinding that gives me pause. What are they using to do it? It might be an excuse to buy new tools... lol

A die grinder. Youre only taken off 12 thous in those 3 little areas

Reactions: AKRider and Ridem32
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Race! Let's see it!
I understand the positives and if someone were to keep the same size tires it would obviously be faster to a point but when you go with larger tires and a gear reduction you're coming up with the same gear ratio as factory except you have more rotating mass which is drastically more effort then weight itself. So for a vehicle to have no more power with more rotating mass and the same gear ratio overall it's hard for me to wrap around it smoking a factory rig.i really would like to see that race I'm super curious

Last edited:
J

JTW

I understand the positives and if someone were to keep the same size tires it would obviously be faster to a point but when you go with larger tires and a gear reduction you're coming up with the same gear ratio as factory except you have more rotating mass which is drastically more effort then weight itself. So for a vehicle to have no more power with more rotating mass and the same gear ratio overall it's hard for me to wrap around it smoking a factory rig.i really would like to see that race I'm super curious
Interesting point!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought he said it toped out at 49mph. If so it should be much quicker, right?

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never mind that was the one with the portals also

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I thought he said it toped out at 49mph. If so it should be much quicker, right?

I was going off statement about 30's and Igr only smoking stock
I had to go back and read again

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was going off of tire size alone didn't notice the portals as well first time through so my apologies. With the addition of those yes it would probably be quicker then stock given the lower top speed. 66/45 I'm still curious exactly how much given the extra drag of the of the portals and the weight of tires still be fun to see but yes I'm sure it's quicker so again my apology. Wonder what comfortable cruising speed is?

No i think i was wrong the one with portals had 34s and was one of his customers. But his has 30s with only igr. And i dont think he stated what the top speed was. I get what you are saying though about rotating mass. But think avout how often you are above 40 outon a trail. Ya it would limit youron the road capabilities. But would totaly be easier on the clutches.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is 66 the top speed stock? I hit 62 once with the kids in the back. It felt pretty light and unstable and chickened out.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No i think i was wrong the one with portals had 34s and was one of his customers. But his has 30s with only igr. And i dont think he stated what the top speed was. I get what you are saying though about rotating mass. But think avout how often you are above 40 outon a trail. Ya it would limit youron the road capabilities. But would totaly be easier on the clutches.

Absolutely! I'm positive of that.
You had me screwed up there for a second lol

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!