Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Is 66 the top speed stock? I hit 62 once with the kids in the back. It felt pretty light and unstable and chickened out.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm not saying it totally felt stable but was drivable at that. Possibly alignment needed if it felt too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Yes. I'm not saying it totally felt stable but was drivable at that. Possibly alignment needed if it felt too bad.

On paper with the igr back to stock would be a 33 inch tire.
I'm running a 30 inch outback.

The guy we have running a 33 inch outback now says it still feels better than stock.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
On paper with the igr back to stock would be a 33 inch tire.
I'm running a 30 inch outback.

The guy we have running a 33 inch outback now says it still feels better than stock.
Then that's good I didn't mean anything negative or disrespect I think it's a good idea for some and feel you did a good job on this just commenting on the speed between the two and really wish people didn't have to do something on a Honda to keep peace of mind. Would still be cool to watch a race lol.
Any idea how long you've got on the smaller reduction set.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghost
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Then that's good I didn't mean anything negative or disrespect I think it's a good idea for some and feel you did a good job on this just commenting on the speed between the two and really wish people didn't have to do something on a Honda to keep peace of mind. Would still be cool to watch a race lol.
Yeah - I'm running true 28's.
25% would be fun to try but sounds like too much for me except in reverse.
Maybe 15% ?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah - I'm running true 28's.
25% would be fun to try but sounds like too much for me except in reverse.
Maybe 15% ?

Me too. Damn we're picky!

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015

The smaller reduction is on hold until the next person asks my partner jeremy to do the install in which case that will give him a few days to tinker with what works.

The 25 % reduction case grinding is down about 80 percent from had to be grinded off at the beginning which is awesome for the guys who felt like they didn't want to grind the case

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Anyone know what the stock gear ratio is low vs high ?

Reactions: AKRider
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anyone know what the stock gear ratio is low vs high ?

This is from the shop manual...

73187290a434692e9a5ee67a4feea0a7

Reactions: ghost
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
About finished with my gear reduction today Ill run it tonight and see how it sounds. Of course I still have stock tires, sigh well I guess i NEED bigger tires now... darn.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
It is louder yes. But not bad

jaybyrd

jaybyrd

Feb 23, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright guys I'm the one making the internal reduction and I'm here to answer any questions you have. I was not aware scooterchris had left the forum until yesterday when I spoke to him and we agreed I needed to get on here and sort of take over where he left off. In regards to this post the problem with Colby's machine turned out to be electrical, the valvebody oil pressure switch connection got wet which threw the machine into some sort of limp mode and didn't allow the clutches to grab. I saw his original post on Facebook and immediately questioned what actually went down because I had a feeling he was kind of jumping to conclusions. He said the machine was pulling fine then just quit all of a sudden like it was in neutral. As soon as I heard that I knew it was not a normal clutch slippage problem. The clutches aren't gonna go from holding fine to nothing just like that without there being some sort of electical failure. Anybody that's experienced what the slipping clutches feel like knows they don't just go from holding fine to 100% slippage. We've got about 10 other machines running now with the reduction and no issues. The reduction is intended for a certain tire height range which ideally needs to be no larger than a 30/31" tire because at that point you're going beyond the 25% reduction amount on the height compared to stock and you start losing the more positive clutch engagement. That being said we originally tested the first machine which was Colby's on 32" Silverback tires (aired up to a true 32) which are super aggressive mud tires and it handled them very well in deep mud and better than I expected. I'll also note while I'm here that we've got an updated version of the reduction now that doesn't have the louder whine that the original version had. The new version is no louder than stock and I have a short vid I'll post on the original IGR post but we are gonna be getting more vids very soon. I knew the whine was disliked and tried several different things to come up with the best fix, it's just taken a while. The main thing goal from the beginning was to see if it was possible to even do a reduction at all then to see how it would perform, I knew I could get the whine out of it, just a matter of time and trying different things. Thanks for your time guys and like I said I'm here to answer any questions ya'll may have.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the update. I'll probably be wanting one after I become more confident I won't have any trouble.

Thanks again.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
What about the shifting in auto mode? Wasn't there an issue with that. What was changed to quieten it down?

jaybyrd

jaybyrd

Feb 23, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The auto shifting can be corrected with a piggy back module from a company in Canada. They make a module that's used on the Rincon and the Rancher 420 DCT that has the same issue after reduction. We've yet to test one on the 1k but I've spoken with the guy at the company and he's sure the module could be adapted to the 1k because it's very similar to the atv's other than having an extra sensor that's involved in reading the speeds of the diffs and sub-trans. This is still in the works, the main bug we've been working on was the noise.

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!