P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 m3 sluggish response!

S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My first thought was a plugged fuel filter. The hard start and bogging down when you floor it are symptoms. The fuel pump sock might be the problem or possibly a weak fuel pump. If you have a pressure tester you find out if the pump is weak.
Do you just replace the whole pump? Where is the fuel filter anyway? Can’t seem to find it:)

Reactions: Lady01
S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've read other similar posts laying blame for hard starting, and poor engine performance on electrical issues. Perhaps the fuel injection system in our Hondas, which is controlled by a mini-computer, is very sensitive to battery voltage.

The standard OEM battery is small and probably has a modest storage capacity. If your Honda is not connected to a battery maintainer when not in use the battery is slowly dying.

I use and recommend one of hese:

There are dozens of brands offered but the "Battery Tender" brand uses a four-stage charge and maintain cycle to maintain but never overcharge a battery.

I have several of them and have used them for years with good results.
I am planning on installing a dual battery soon so that should help?

S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My first thought was a plugged fuel filter. The hard start and bogging down when you floor it are symptoms. The fuel pump sock might be the problem or possibly a weak fuel pump. If you have a pressure tester you find out if the pump is weak.I
I removed the fuel line coming out of the pump and attached a hose to the pump and pumped some gas into a jar it all looked good! I tried to plug the end with my finger but there was to much pressure and gas still came spraying out. So it appears that the fuel pump is good. Kinda at a loss on what to check next. I changed the spark plugs, removed the muffler, checks the air filter, fuel pump and the battery. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dragbikedude

Dragbikedude

Aug 12, 2021
Home
Ownership

1. Talon X
How many miles are on the machine? could it be a clogged spark arrestor. The manual for my Talon says it should be checked and/or cleaned at 600 miles.

S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It has around 1000 miles

Last edited:
O

Ozmojo

Jul 3, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you disconnect the battery before you started having problems? Just a thought that maybe your computer has to relearn. Always go back to what you did just before your problem started, another idea is a possible vacuum leak or timing issue.

S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
when we first got it there was a gouge in the bottom of the oil tank cover so I replaced it I wonder if there could be any connection? doesn't seem likely but maybe.... here is a picture to the part I replaced

S l1600 2 S l1600

S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did you disconnect the battery before you started having problems? Just a thought that maybe your computer has to relearn. Always go back to what you did just before your problem started, another idea is a possible vacuum leak or timing issue.
we bought it at a auction, and I am almost thinking that it started right up before changing that oil cover, but I'm not for sure on that

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As Dragbikedude suggests, check the spark arrestor. You'll want to take it out anyway, even though it's only go 500 miles on it. That way you can check to make sure that's not the problem and use the opportunity to put anti-seize on the three screw threads.

advertisement
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
How many miles are on the machine? could it be a clogged spark arrestor. The manual for my Talon says it should be checked and/or cleaned at 600 miles.

As Dragbikedude suggests, check the spark arrestor. You'll want to take it out anyway, even though it's only go 500 miles on it. That way you can check to make sure that's not the problem and use the opportunity to put anti-seize on the three screw threads.

Call me crazy but didn't he state that he removed the exhaust?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Try evacuating the gas tank and start with known good fuel. Maybe too much alcohol in the gas? E85 by mistake possibly?

S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Try evacuating the gas tank and start with known good fuel. Maybe too much alcohol in the gas? E85 by mistake possibly?
I had the tank pretty much empty and filled it up, and put seafoam in it Will see if it helps

Reactions: Farmer and Lady01
S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, it seemed to take care of itself! it starts right up now. I cycled the fuel pump a couple times and then it started right up, and ever since then. So not sure or if it was that or the seafoam, but its working now! thanks for replies Josh

Reactions: TripleB and Jerryg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!