P1000 honda pioneer 1000 ticking noise

Benjamin6_6

Benjamin6_6

Jan 7, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a few pics of what I found. Notice the edge of the rod ends have wear on them

View attachment 252626 View attachment 252627 View attachment 252628
Thanks for all your reporting!!! I have just been going through the same issue. Pull the pan and everything looks great , replaced timing chain tensioner and no change. Have read your post earlier and just came upon it again. Actually posted my first thread yesterday about fixing to check clutches lol. I’m going to go pull the head and roads now !!!!

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I pulled mine apart the first time, I only checked the lower rod bearings and they looked great. But when I pulled the rods and pistons, I noticed that the upper bearings had an area of wear. I'm guessing from the load of compressing water, slightly damaged them. Glad I'm able to help

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Benjamin6_6

Benjamin6_6

Jan 7, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I pulled mine apart the first time, I only checked the lower rod bearings and they looked great. But when I pulled the rods and pistons, I noticed that the upper bearings had an area of wear. I'm guessing from the load of compressing water, slightly damaged them. Glad I'm able to help
Well same issue here. Lowers we’re ok but the upper rod and pin are completely shot on 1 but I’m going to go ahead and do both . So now I’m fixing to order parts. You wouldn’t happen to know the difference and why they have different colors for rod bearings? Thank you again and I’m advance

Reactions: Vwk78 and Mudwing
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the sides of my bearings were the color yellow. And the rods had the letter a with two lines scratched into them. When I ordered, I didn't know if the new rods were going to be the same series, so I just ordered all the different colors of bearings. When the parts arrived, the rods had identical markings, so I knew that the yellow bearing that were originally on mine would work. I just sent back all the other ones. As long as your crank didn't get damaged, you should be able to do the same as what I did. I also plastic Guage them to make sure the size was right. In the manual, there is a chart of all the different combinations of bearings depending on the crank code, and the rod code.

Reactions: TripleB
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just remember if you order rod bearings for both rods, you need 4. They are sold 1 each half. Never seen it like this in all the engines I've worked on. Automotive ones come as a matched pair.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My pistons and rings were probably fine to use again, but I figured since it was apart, not much more $$ to just do everything

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!