P1000 honda pioneer 1000 ticking noise

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking for some diagnostic help for my 2016 pioneer 1000. Machine has about 1800 miles on it. I recently took the machine on a trail ride this past weekend and halfway through the ride it developed a weird ticking like noise. When in neutral, if i increase the rpms the noise starts. Cant really hear it at idle. If i put into gear and put a load on the engine, the noise goes away completely. While I'm driving, the noise comes and goes depending on the load that is placed on the motor. More throttle, no noise. I'm wondering if these engine have any cam chain tensioner issues? It almost sounds like a timing chain ticking or something similar to that. I haven't checked the valve lash, but I dont think the valve noise would change under a load. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Lady01
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I did some further investigating. Pulled the valve cover off and checked valve adjustment. One exhaust valve was a little tight, everything else was within spec. While the cover was off, I inspected the cam chain and guides and they all appear to be in excellent condition. So, since it was apart, I checked compression and both cylinders have approx 140 psi. And did an oil and filter change for kicks. Its all back together and running. Still has the ticking noise that increases with rpm. Whats weird is that the noise goes away if I put it in gear, and give it throttle. Its almost like the clutch itself is what the ticking is coming from? Is it possible that the clutch could be making a ticking noise? Clutch has no slippage or any other issues. So basically as long as I'm on the throttle, or loading the engine, the noise totally disappears. Unless this is just normal noise and I'm just noticing it now.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any potential that the clutch is out of adjustment? Do you get any creep/movement on a flat smooth surface at idle in gear?

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clutch seems to operate how its supposed to. Doesn't drag, and grabs right away with no slippage. I wonder if they can tick when the clearances of the clutch packs start to increase?

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
its just strange that as soon as the clutch starts grabbing, the noise completely goes away. I originally thought maybe a cam chain tensioner, but it seemed tight when I inspected it with the valve cover off.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks tripleB. Great video and very easy to follow. I warmed my machine up and did the clutch initialization just now. Still have the noise. Reminds me of when I had excessive valve clearance on my old air-cooled vw engines. But that noise was always there no matter what load you put on the engine.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If i was to drive it up a long hill, there will be no noise because its under a load. When I'm driving on a flat road, the noise disappears at the beginning of each gear change, (when the load is the greatest on the engine). I'm not sure, maybe it is the timing chain tensioner? I removed it like the shop manual stated, and it springs back like its supposed to. Also when I extended it, I tried to compress it with no success. I'm puzzled. At first I thought it may be a heat shield or exhaust rattle, but I've checked everything by holding pressure on different areas with my pry bar. Definately something inside the engine

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When parked, I raise the rpms from idle, the noise seems to start at 2000 rpm and by just over 3000 the noise cant be heard because of the normal engine wine.

advertisement
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you record it and share the video? Not sure it will help, but it can't hurt.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do have a couple different recordings of it,, i just need to figure out how to load them from my phone to this page. I think my next step today is to pull all my factory skid plates and make sure nothing is rubbing on something.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any chance you've dropped the oil filter spring. My dealer did this on my first service and I came the think it was normal a sound until a member here made a post about his falling out.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do have a couple different recordings of it,, i just need to figure out how to load them from my phone to this page. I think my next step today is to pull all my factory skid plates and make sure nothing is rubbing on something.
Post it to youtube and then drop the url in here.

At least there is something I can give you an actual answer on instead of a guess.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's one video of it. It made the noise before the oil change. I was carefull of the filter springs being installed.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gpr1500SC approx how many miles were on your machine when the tensioner failed? My noise seems to disappear at the 3000 rpm range too

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!