P1000 honda pioneer 1000 ticking noise

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I called one dealer here in Michigan and they checked their dealer network and found one in Louisiana. I've been trying to get a hold of them but the line is always busy. I'm wondering if the hurricane had anything to do with it. If you have any other leads I'd appreciate it

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found an ebay seller that can have one with the gasket shipped to me for about $90 free shipping. And it will ship out tomorrow. Seems like a fair deal?

Reactions: Mudwing
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
If it is new yes.
My dealer could get one by Tuesday he said Monday before he thought of it that it was a holliday I had him double check to make sure it was available.
I have seen this before where one dealer cannot another one can.

Reactions: Vwk78
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for checking. Yes, the ebay one is genuine honda and new. He must get it drop shipped from a dealer or something. Ill get it ordered and report back the outcome.
Finger crossed for you. You've definitely been giving this noise every effort towards a solution.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a surprise in the mail today! Both the tensioner and the spark plugs came. I installed the plugs first. No change in noise, but seemed to maybe run a little smoother at idle. These were the original ones, so it was due for new ones. Next I installed the new lift tensioner and gasket. Big difference! Still has a slight ticking noise, but I'd say its 80% quieter. Thank you, to everyone that pitched in to help.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Time to pull the valve cover and readjust your valves check and double check that you are using the right letter to adjust them.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, ill double check them this weekend and make sure I did it right.

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello Vwk78, our farm recently purchased a Blue 2018 1000-3 and its making about exactly the same noise as yours in those videos. Also the noise goes away under a load. You said the tensioner fixed most of it? Did adjusting the valves make any difference? We just got ours yesterday and I noticed the tick right away beings my Grandpa has a 700 and runs much quieter....

advertisement
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's been a while since I last posted about this ticking noise I had. Everything I did to it to try and fix the rattle, was not really what the problem was. I decided to really dig into my machine. First I pulled the clutch cover and all the clutches, thinking that they might have excessive clearance causing the rattle. But with around 2000 miles, the clearances were perfect and the clutches didn't even have an ounce of wear on the plates. So I installed all new orings and seals and back together again. Still had that tick. I always thought it was weird that the ticking noise was louder at the cylinder area with my stethoscope. So I finally had enough messing with it, and pulled the oil pan and cylinder head off so I could pull a piston and rod out and take a look. Glad I did. Apparently the previous owner must have gotten water into the cylinder and ever so slightly bent the rods. Both upper rod ends were worn on the edges, causing enough play to rattle. If it wasn't for the visible wear, I wouldn't be able to tell that the rods were slightly bent. I can post some pics of what I found. Hopefully yours isn't this, but if it is, the sooner you find out the better. Get a stethoscope out and see where the noise is coming from.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This was the first machine I bought, and I didn't know how much noise and rattle a honda 1000 made. But now that it's fixed, it is unbelievable how quiet it is. How many miles are on your machine?

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to be safe, and since it was apart anyway, I replaced both rods, pins, clips, and new pistons with rings. The cylinder walls were perfect shape. I did notice a couple little spot marks or what looked like stains from water hitting the cylinder. I gave both a quick hone to help set the new rings. Crank was perfect. I replaced the rod bearings with the same color code ones that were on it.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope your tick is something simple. The rattling noise would start about 2000 rpm and once above 3000 the engine noise drowned it out. During normal cruising speeds, the rpms were right where the noise could be heard all the time. But as soon as I put a load on it, or went up a grade, the noise went away. Hope this helps anyone else with similar issues. I'm glad I decided to stop driving and tear it apart. It has been apart since Dec 1st, and I just got all the parts about 2.5 weeks ago. (Backorder on most of the pieces).

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh my... I just ordered the timing chain tensioner... It has 840 miles on it I believe... Looks pretty taken care of. Doesn't look like it was stored inside much altho it isn't faded at all. But pretty clean machine. I was looking at it with my dad this afternoon and using a pry bar like a "old fashion" stethoscope we both thought the majority of the noise was coming from the valve cover... Can valves go out of spec that far to rattle that loud? The rattle sounds identical to yours... Intrigues me why it goes away when on a load tho...

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The chain load/tension is higher under acceleration and at higher rpm's so the tensioner doesn't have to work as hard and can keep it tight and it doesn't rattle.

Vwk78 is correct valves wear into the seats and get tight.

If your cam and rocker arms are wearing out (getting looser) it is a completely different category stemming from the lack of lubrication

Reactions: Vwk78
J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Right on. I appreciate all y'all are doing. This is a farm and we've been busy but it's raining today so I think we'll start digging into it. I'll keep y'all posted.

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will be posting updates on the thread I started. Out of respect to Vwk78... Here's the link.

Reactions: TripleB
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!