P1000 Replacing Timing Chain Tensioner

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, we recently purchased a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-3, used, and realize its making a noise that it shouldn't. It sounds identical to what vwk78 had going on a different thread, the noise goes away under a load and everything seems exactly like he experienced.... So I'm planning on purchasing a timing chain tensioner, but I haven't found any video or thread on replacing it? We don't have a owner or service manual so I'm kinda lost? I'm just guessing its under or near the valve covers?

Here is the thread I mentioned...

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's in a high gear at a slow speed. It could be clutch chatter. I got a tune and it fixed mine right away. I would do a little more research before you start tearing into the engine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It doesn't matter what gear. In Park it will do it. My brother who has driven other Pioneers quite abit says it shifts different too... So I'm not ruling out a clutch issue. But using a pry bar like a stethoscope we're pretty sure most of the noise is from the valve cover...

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't matter what gear. In Park it will do it. My brother who has driven other Pioneers quite abit says it shifts different too... So I'm not ruling out a clutch issue. But using a pry bar like a stethoscope we're pretty sure most of the noise is from the valve cover...
Have you had your valves adjusted?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No. Kinda doubt that's what it is but hoping very much that is the problem! Tryna get a hold of a service manual and will do in the next day or two... Machine has under 1000 miles so hard to imagine anything to major... But we're not the first owners so who knows...
Any way of telling if it's been submerged?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No. Kinda doubt that's what it is but hoping very much that is the problem! Tryna get a hold of a service manual and will do in the next day or two... Machine has under 1000 miles so hard to imagine anything to major... But we're not the first owners so who knows...
Any way of telling if it's been submerged?
Look in your intake tube and filter area.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, we recently purchased a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-3, used, and realize its making a noise that it shouldn't. It sounds identical to what vwk78 had going on a different thread, the noise goes away under a load and everything seems exactly like he experienced.... So I'm planning on purchasing a timing chain tensioner, but I haven't found any video or thread on replacing it? We don't have a owner or service manual so I'm kinda lost? I'm just guessing its under or near the valve covers?

Here is the thread I mentioned...
I’d check those valves first.

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First stop.. Intake area... Definitely water been in here... But is that from sucking in wet air and condensating or you think this is the reason for the rattle?? I personally don't like what I see...

IMG 20210205 095218843 IMG 20210205 095031829 IMG 20210205 095023915

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
H

HondaTech

Well the intake backfire screen isnt rusty, most machines thata have been in water heavily will rust the screen.

The tensioner is the piece sticking out from the head towards the drivers side of the machine, in your 2nd picture (with the bolt in it).

You could try removing that bolt, start the unit and using a small flat tip screwdriver, turn the tensioner screw i believe counterclockwise and see if the noise decreases. Dont go but more than a 1/2 turn while running. If the noise goes away, it could be th problem. You'll feel the chain pushing on the tenisoner while your turning, there may also be some oil come out.

Ive had one under water that after we rebuilt it, came back with a loud noise that qent away under load. The wrist pin wasnt getting enough oil due to a worn crank bearing and was rattling. But it was a terrible noise, nothing i would ever drive.

I also seem to think the ball in the valve cover for the roll-over vent is noisy as well.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I finally decided to tear into mine, I noticed some simular looking stuff in the lower throttle body rubber boots. I think before I bought mine, they cleaned the air box and installed a new filter.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After you check the tensioner and valves and if they are fine, I would pull the oil pan and inspect. If nothing obvious, pull a rod bearing cap and see what the bearings look like

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok my dad and brother looked at most the valves so don't have many details. One intake and one exhaust is out of spec. The one we don't know how far out it is because our thinnest feeler wouldn't go in it. BUT the thinnest feeler is right on the edge of spec so not saying it's terrible. Is two valves barely out of spec enough to rattle?

Also what are the two loose rings on each end of the cam?

Got the cover back on and possibly gonna take it to a guy we know who is really good. Started it and I messed with the tensioner a lil but didn't have much time to figure much out. Anything I did with the tensioner didn't affect the noise.

Reactions: Lady01
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little out of spec on the adjustment shouldn't make alot of difference in noise. The loose pieces at the end of the cam are decompression parts.

H

HondaTech

Ok my dad and brother looked at most the valves so don't have many details. One intake and one exhaust is out of spec. The one we don't know how far out it is because our thinnest feeler wouldn't go in it. BUT the thinnest feeler is right on the edge of spec so not saying it's terrible. Is two valves barely out of spec enough to rattle?

Also what are the two loose rings on each end of the cam?

Got the cover back on and possibly gonna take it to a guy we know who is really good. Started it and I messed with the tensioner a lil but didn't have much time to figure much out. Anything I did with the tensioner didn't affect the noise.

So one valve was tight?

That wouldnt make a noise but could have issues starting if it got really tight.

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes one was tight. Sent the video of it running to a guy who I got working on a dirt bike of mine and he thinks it's a knock. Probably gonna turn him lose on it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!