P1000 honda pioneer 1000 ticking noise

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I removed all the skid plates and inspected all the underside of the machine. Nothing loose or rubbing. Still makes the noise with the skids off. I might just have to start throwing parts at it. The first will be the tension lifter for the chain. Only problem is they don't seem to be a stock item and they are on backorder. I did find one dealer that is supposed to have one in stock, just waiting till they open to call

Reactions: russknight
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just pulled my tensioner again and inspected it. I can't find anything wrong with it. I can't compress it in any position I put it in. I tried running the engine and loosening the tension on the chain and the noise didn't change. So I think I can rule out the tensioner. I just took my stethoscope and played around trying to find where the noise is mostly coming from and now I'm worried. When I placed it on the #2 cylinder closest to the timing chain I can hear the noise the greatest. Sounds like its in the cylinder.

Reactions: russknight
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Gpr1500SC approx how many miles were on your machine when the tensioner failed? My noise seems to disappear at the 3000 rpm range too

My first failure was immediately after a hired cam change.
He cut the cam guide to wide and I haven't fix it yet.
Both failed tensioner appeared to be in working order.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My machine is all stock engine wise. But I did buy it second hand, so I dont know what its been through before me. The previous owner bought it new. I haven't really used it much, only short trips and around the yard. This last trip we did was over 100 miles and halfway on the trip it started making the noise

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil pan is removed. Absolutely nothing in the pan but clean oil
20200902 143308

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
inside rotating assembly looks to be in good condition. Only thing I noticed is on the compression stroke the rods kind of slide a touch sideways on the wrist pin when i stop and start rotation on the crankshaft. I would think this is normal

Reactions: TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just pulled my tensioner again and inspected it. I can't find anything wrong with it. I can't compress it in any position I put it in. I tried running the engine and loosening the tension on the chain and the noise didn't change. So I think I can rule out the tensioner. I just took my stethoscope and played around trying to find where the noise is mostly coming from and now I'm worried. When I placed it on the #2 cylinder closest to the timing chain I can hear the noise the greatest. Sounds like its in the cylinder.
My wife's Sonic developed a tick at certain RPM, took it into the shop, thought it was the AC compressor, no, our mechanic found it after a couple hours. Ended up being a bad spark plug. The plug ceramic was leaking between the metal nut and the ceramic and the plug cover was covering it?

Reactions: Vwk78
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, thanks for the suggestion. When I pulled the valve cover to do the valve adjustment, I looked at the spark plugs and they appear to be the original ones. I ordered a set this morning. So it will be a couple of days before I can install them. I also thought maybe the gas I had purchased on the trip might have been faulty, so I drained 90% of it and put fresh premium in it with no change in sound.

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok, thanks for the suggestion. When I pulled the valve cover to do the valve adjustment, I looked at the spark plugs and they appear to be the original ones. I ordered a set this morning. So it will be a couple of days before I can install them. I also thought maybe the gas I had purchased on the trip might have been faulty, so I drained 90% of it and put fresh premium in it with no change in sound.
I just remembered the spark plug thing, the mechanic had never seen a spark plug do that and he's my age, the plug wasn't cracked? He kept the plug for a reminder.

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so everything looked good inside with the oil pan removed. Perfectly clean, nothing but clean looking oil. Tried wiggling connecting rods and everthing seemed correct. I reinstalled the oil pan, topped off the fluids and grabbed my stethoscope again. Both cylinders sound about the same at idle. When I rev the engine to the 2000 rpm range, thats when the #2 cylinder makes more racket that the other. But since the #2 piston is right next to the chain, this could explain that. So I put the stethoscope on the chain housing area, and its even louder there. It almost has to be the tensioner lifter assembly. I'm going to order this and see how long it will take to receive it. My new spark plugs should be here first and I will install them right away and report back. Then if that doesn't fix it, I'm hoping the tensioner will. I'm guessing these engines are pretty noisy to begin with, but now that I'm fixated on this sound I'm hearing it all the time

Reactions: TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok, so everything looked good inside with the oil pan removed. Perfectly clean, nothing but clean looking oil. Tried wiggling connecting rods and everthing seemed correct. I reinstalled the oil pan, topped off the fluids and grabbed my stethoscope again. Both cylinders sound about the same at idle. When I rev the engine to the 2000 rpm range, thats when the #2 cylinder makes more racket that the other. But since the #2 piston is right next to the chain, this could explain that. So I put the stethoscope on the chain housing area, and its even louder there. It almost has to be the tensioner lifter assembly. I'm going to order this and see how long it will take to receive it. My new spark plugs should be here first and I will install them right away and report back. Then if that doesn't fix it, I'm hoping the tensioner will. I'm guessing these engines are pretty noisy to begin with, but now that I'm fixated on this sound I'm hearing it all the time
I know that sound!

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
In that video, IMO notice the vibrations in the motor (shaking ) possible cam lobe or lifter ?

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, the motor does seem to vibrate alot. When i did the valve adjustment, all the cam lobes looked to be in perfect shape, almost like they were new. I know when the engine isn't running, I cam grab it and move it pretty easily. But none of the motor mounts are torn or damaged from what I can tell. This is my first honda larger motor and I'm not sure how smooth they are

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, the motor does seem to vibrate alot. When i did the valve adjustment, all the cam lobes looked to be in perfect shape, almost like they were new. I know when the engine isn't running, I cam grab it and move it pretty easily. But none of the motor mounts are torn or damaged from what I can tell. This is my first honda larger motor and I'm not sure how smooth they are
There not that smooth, in idle from new it would vibrate the drivers side rear tire?

Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, that's good to hear. I know once I increase the rpm its definitely smoother. I'm the only one in my group that has a honda. Wish I had something to compare to

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Sorry for not answering in a timely manor!
Both of my cam tensioners that failed you could not tell there was anything wrong with them but I replaced them anyway and the noise went away.

I didn't have enough time to put on my ported head and Talon cam in before the Mulberry ride so I had a individual that owns are local Hustler dealer and works on atv's replace it and install the Talon cam, I thought he was a mechanic, I was so mistaken!!! the Talon cam guide is wider so instead of pressing it off and installing the stock one on the Talon cam he cut my cap wider in fact too wide so my cam walks back and forth a little and ate the tension er, the first one was a day after he installed it, in talking to him he admitted it came apart and he reassembled it so I figured that was the reason for its failure and replaced and everything worked fine he assured me the guide was fine fast forward 1,000 plus miles later (do not how may) going up Cross Mountain in CO it failed again replaced it and everything works fine so now I need to replace the head or tig the cap full and re machine the groove.

When my first one failed it rattles at a idle and went away around 3,000 rpm's and it came and went until it never stopped and got louder. my second that failed never made a peep until it started rattling badly right off the bat but would still go away above 3,000 to 3,500 rpm's.

Reactions: Vwk78 and TripleB
Vwk78

Vwk78

Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I greatly appreciate all the help everyone has given. I'm learning alot about these machines. Looks like these tensioners are on nationwide backorder. I'm currently on the hunt for one.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
You might try calling a different dealer I got mine in three days.
two weeks ago if you want I will check for you.

Reactions: Vwk78
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!